Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

Getting my first XJ soon

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Getting my first XJ soon

So I'm just getting into XJs. I've been looking around the internet a ton and have been sucked in hardcore. Currently I'm selling my crotch rocket, once it's sold I plan on getting my first XJ! I've scrolled through this website alot and looked at peoples builds, mods, and all that. So here is my question for you XJ Vets out there! What kinds of things should I really be looking for? what should be big red flags? I really appreciate any feedback ! Thanks in advance
Old 10-16-2009, 05:46 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by Novice_XJ
So I'm just getting into XJs. I've been looking around the internet a ton and have been sucked in hardcore. Currently I'm selling my crotch rocket, once it's sold I plan on getting my first XJ! I've scrolled through this website alot and looked at peoples builds, mods, and all that. So here is my question for you XJ Vets out there! What kinds of things should I really be looking for? what should be big red flags? I really appreciate any feedback ! Thanks in advance
You are going to want to do the following things

1) Check for RUST! This is most important. It can be one of the biggest pains in the rear end. Crawl under there and poke around.

2) Any steering slop. See how the alignment is, how it turns, how much slop is in the steering wheel, and drive it ofcourse

3) Any other noticable problems. Leaking, milky oil, things like that.

Last but not least. Dont run away if you see 200k+ miles. Its not hard to find one with less than that, but I bought mine with 221K and it runs great!
Old 10-16-2009, 05:51 PM

Thanks for the tips, Typhoon! I've been looking around a little on this site, as I stated, and yea I have seen people pulling up their carpet and stuff and gettin' real annoyed with the rust that you sometimes find under it all. My dad's X has a 1992 XJ with 203k miles on it. It's bone stock but nothin' is broken in it or anything and it has a small brush guard on it, nothing super but..it's a start. I'm tryin' to get that one, haha.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:21 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by Novice_XJ
Thanks for the tips, Typhoon! I've been looking around a little on this site, as I stated, and yea I have seen people pulling up their carpet and stuff and gettin' real annoyed with the rust that you sometimes find under it all. My dad's X has a 1992 XJ with 203k miles on it. It's bone stock but nothin' is broken in it or anything and it has a small brush guard on it, nothing super but..it's a start. I'm tryin' to get that one, haha.
Haha nice! Ya gotta start somewhere! Oh yeah, one more rule, when you buy it, you MUST post a million pictures of it