Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

General grabbers VS goodyear wrangler radical

Old 03-15-2017, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default General grabbers VS goodyear wrangler radical

New to buying off-road tires. My first choice would be the general Grabbers, but I was also looking at the Goodyear ones. I'm guessing that the general Grabbers are better, but my wallet like the Goodyear a lot better. Haven't made any final decisions yet, was wondering if any of y'all have any insight.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:33 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

In my opinion, the goodyears are more of a street tire. The generals are more of an all terrain. So the real question is, what do you plan on doing with the jeep?
Old 03-15-2017, 09:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I ran new Goodyear Wrangler Radial 235/75r15 on mine for a while I was researching which A/T tires I wanted to go with. Guywitha92 is right in that they are more of a street tire. They looked decent, and their price was definitely hard to beat. They were round, and balanced ok, and generally felt ok to drive. However, I found them to be a little soft such that turns feel a little loose. Though, unless you go from a higher load AT tire, you may not notice a difference. For a non AT tire, they look pretty aggressive (when compared to other street tires). But most of the popular AT tires will look even more aggressive. They are nothing to brag about on snow and ice. Just average. But they were generally pretty quite, and showed good tread wear for the 10k miles I had them on.

If you are going to just do dirt roads and gravel once in a while. They are more than adequate, and won't look too bad either.

If it were me, I would do the Grabbers over the Wranglers.

Ultimately, I went with Hankook Dynapro ATM tires (30x9.5r15). I have loved them. (I just wish they looked a little more aggressive on the sides).
Old 03-15-2017, 09:08 PM
CF Veteran

Here is what the wrangler's look like on the vehicle (1" lift with 235/75r15).
Attached Thumbnails General grabbers VS goodyear wrangler radical-2016-05-28-08.34.20.jpg  
Old 03-15-2017, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by jordan96xj
I ran new Goodyear Wrangler Radial 235/75r15 on mine for a while I was researching which A/T tires I wanted to go with. Guywitha92 is right in that they are more of a street tire. They looked decent, and their price was definitely hard to beat. They were round, and balanced ok, and generally felt ok to drive. However, I found them to be a little soft such that turns feel a little loose. Though, unless you go from a higher load AT tire, you may not notice a difference. For a non AT tire, they look pretty aggressive (when compared to other street tires). But most of the popular AT tires will look even more aggressive. They are nothing to brag about on snow and ice. Just average. But they were generally pretty quite, and showed good tread wear for the 10k miles I had them on.

If you are going to just do dirt roads and gravel once in a while. They are more than adequate, and won't look too bad either.

If it were me, I would do the Grabbers over the Wranglers.

Ultimately, I went with Hankook Dynapro ATM tires (30x9.5r15). I have loved them. (I just wish they looked a little more aggressive on the sides).
Thanks for the info! I'll mostly be street driving, but durring the summer I'll be more back-roading, and I want the abilty to off road if the opportunity arrises.
Do you have any pictures of your Jeeps with the Goodyears?
Old 03-15-2017, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by jordan96xj
Here is what the wrangler's look like on the vehicle (1" lift with 235/75r15).
Thanks!!
what has your experience been with them? What kind of driving do you do? (Street? Back roads? Off
roads?
Old 03-15-2017, 10:18 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992

Eventho theyre a tad bit more, I would go with the generals. I have the red labels on mine and have over 43k on them. They still have about 40% tread, and I do a lot of rock crawling.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I'm not sure the miles on my General Grabbers but I've had them on my DD for over 3 1/2 years. Still alot of tread on them. Also that GG in that pic looks beefy. This pic looks more like what you will get.

Last edited by EatonXJ; 03-15-2017 at 10:47 PM.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 297 Likes on 252 Posts
Year: '96

I'm into my 4th winter on GG A/T2's.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:39 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1997

The GY Wrang Rad's are cheap tires. They're also decent, but they're cheap first. When someone wants affordable above all else, they're always on my list of recommendations.

The Generals are good tires and also affordable. If you're not looking to pinch pennies, and the only choices are these two (cuz I'd likely recommend many other options depending on your specific needs), then go with the Generals.

I'd expect to find better prices especially on the Generals somewhere else, though (unless Walmart ships for free, I know for a fact that Tirerack is cheaper). Plus then you're not supporting Walmart

Your post referred to "off-road" tires. If you're planning on going off road, take the GY Wran Rad's off of your list especially if mud is in the forecast. Heck, if mud is in the forecast, take most all-terrain (AT) tires off of your list. Definitely make sure to buy C-rated LT-metric tires, NOT P-metric tires if you're going off road a lot, too.

Last edited by mschi772; 03-16-2017 at 11:44 AM.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

i have a set of goodyear armortracs. a bit more aggressive but still a great on road tire. if you won't be off-road much i'd opt for a set of the wranglers. they're solid tires that will easily serve you for 60k. it seems silly to buy a substantially more expensive tire for the 2% off-road use it'll see.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by s346k
i have a set of goodyear armortracs. a bit more aggressive but still a great on road tire. if you won't be off-road much i'd opt for a set of the wranglers. they're solid tires that will easily serve you for 60k. it seems silly to buy a substantially more expensive tire for the 2% off-road use it'll see.
It depends on location to though. The wranglers are hot trash in rain, let alone snow if your area is a wetter location. In that case I would rather spend. But if it hardly rains, you hardly offroad, then go for the wranglers.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:29 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I see testimony on behalf of the General Grabber AT2 from someone with General Red Letters. I see testimony on behalf of the Goodyear Wrangler Radials from someone with Goodyear Wrangler Armortrac.

Sorry, but these are meaningless. Just because one tire from a brand is good doesn't mean others can't be trash (and vice versa). Heck, just because one tire of one brand's family (e.g. Wrangler) is good doesn't mean others aren't trash (and vice versa). Great example using a brand featured in this thread: Goodyear Wrangler HT/ST/SR-A are among the worst tires out there while Goodyear Wranger SilentArmor/Duratracs are hall-of-famers.

Frankly, based strictly on what I can gather about you based on your original post and choices proposed... I would counter-propose Kumho Road Venture AT51 to you.

Last edited by mschi772; 03-16-2017 at 02:36 PM.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:25 PM
CF Veteran

mschi772 has a good point (and I hope he noticed that my feedback was based on first hand ownership experience).

If price is the driving factor, then the Wranglers probably can't be beat. Just don't expect any particular "capability" from them other than driving down highways in moderate weather conditions.

However, if General Grabber's are being considered at $45/per tire more, then you owe it to yourself to do more comparison between tires in that category (AT) and price. Because there are a few.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:11 PM

Thanks yall!
definitely some good info.
So, as a few of you have pseudo asked, I do have snowy/wet winters, so I want them good on ice/snow. I dont do too much off road durring the fall/winter, but I spend my spring/summer in the forest, which provides great back roading, as well and some off road opportunitys.
so, I want something practical for a DD, but capable of mild off roading.
I'm totally open to suggestions, these are just the two I've been told about.
And though I am considering the General Grabbers(because I've heard nothing but good things) my buget is pretty tight. That's why the wranglers apeal to me as well.

Search this Thread