Sponsored by: DashLynx

First Jeep: 1989 XJ Cherokee Laredo 2dr 4x4 4.0L

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 12:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default First Jeep: 1989 XJ Cherokee Laredo 2dr 4x4 4.0L

Hey all,

I have officially joined the Jeep community buy buying a Cherokee. I bought it for my brother to drive over the summer while he is living with me in between semesters at school, but I more bought it as a project for myself.

I don't plan in doing any extreme off roading, but would like to beef it up a bit (my driveway is more than most cars can handle as it is). I'm also not looking at investing a ton of money into it at this time (the other toys have sucked up most of the budget).

157,xxx miles, and in pretty decent shape. I just purchased a new radiator reservoir cap, plugs, wires, rotor and distributor cap, power steering fluid, valve cover gasket and a number of cleaning supplies.

Any thoughts on other basic tune-up items I should check? Anything these jeeps are known for?

Also, thoughts on inexpensive mods or things you all consider to be "must haves" on your rides?

I will keep reading through all the threads on the forum, but sometimes the wealth of info is overwhelming (especially since I'm new to jeeps).

All and any help is appreciated!
Old 05-28-2012, 12:58 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: Straight 6 4.0L

Congrats on the buy! But We need Pictures!
Old 05-28-2012, 05:20 AM

I tried attaching photos, but I posted from my phone and it didn't work. I'll put a couple up once im at a computer

Maybe this link will work? http://instagr.am/p/LF-T5IA3z3/
Old 05-28-2012, 05:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Since your not currently building anything and your just asking general questions I moved this to Cherokee Chat.

As for your questions, any general maintenance items should be checked first. Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and then do oil and other fluid changes where needed.

Once you are sure all maintenance items have been taken care of, go from there.

Recovery points should be your first concern after your done.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:33 AM

Alrighty,

So here's where we're at.

I found the Jeep (2dr 4x4 1989 Laredo, 156,xxx miles) and grabbed it for $750. The obvious things it needed to pass inspection were e-brake bracket , patch a few small rust spots, and a headlight. Also, the power steering was leaking, it was overheating and leaking coolant, and the speedo doesn't work. Other than that, just little things (tailgate arms, rear wiper missing, etc).

I fixed the coolant leak with a new reservoir, thermostat and hoses. Power steering with a new hose. Went to a junkyard and bought the wiper, tires and rims, shift boot, and tailgate arms. I also did oil, plugs, distributor, rotor, and valve cover gasket to have a baseline of things I know should be good. I'm going to do the fuel filter once the final bit of crud is worked out of the gas tank and lines.

Tomorrow i'll patch it up, do the e-brake, and hope it passes inspection.

One question I have though... the passenger side leaf spring's tip cracked off (the part that wraps/bends around the support bracket closest to the rear bumper). It's still seemingly secure, but I feel I ought to replace it, and so, I intend to do a small lift while I'm at it. I don't need anything too crazy. Should I piece together something? Or does anyone have a recommendation for an affordable 2" lift that includes new leaf springs? I should probably do the coils too since they look fairly rusted, but I want to be careful about where I throw the money so that it's not sunk into the jeep uselessly.

Here are a few photos as promised, I'll get more as we go on.
Attached Images