Fail Safe Thermostats?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Fail Safe Thermostats?

Went to Oreilly's to get a new thermostat and my cousin recommended the fail safe thermostats. For those who dont know they're supposed to lock open when they malfunction so that coolant keeps flowing therefore you dont overheat your engine.

However, I have read online that these fail safe thermostats are not good with jeeps because jeeps tend to run hot like 210 hot and although thats quite normal for jeeps these things will initiate their fail safe at around 206. My xj reaches 210 i i drive it long enough. Should I return this thermostat or return it for a cheapo one?
Old 08-01-2012, 06:14 PM
::Regional Moderator::

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: I6 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by studmuffin
Went to Oreilly's to get a new thermostat and my cousin recommended the fail safe thermostats. For those who dont know they're supposed to lock open when they malfunction so that coolant keeps flowing therefore you dont overheat your engine.

However, I have read online that these fail safe thermostats are not good with jeeps because jeeps tend to run hot like 210 hot and although thats quite normal for jeeps these things will initiate their fail safe at around 206. My xj reaches 210 i i drive it long enough. Should I return this thermostat or return it for a cheapo one?
Pretty much its the same as running with out a tstat at that point. Take it back man.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0, comp cam, 99 intake, apn header, neon injectors, Thunderbolt 2.5" High Flow Cat

really? cuz mine has been in for about 2 years now... and it has not failed and stuck open... and I run right at 210 where I'm supposed to... someone's full of it