KL Cherokee Tech KL (14+)
2014 Cherokee Forum for all new KL and Cherokee Trailhawk discussion and tech information.

Exhaust tip

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Exhaust tip

I am looking to change my exhaust tip so it sounds a little different on my 2015 Jeep Cherokee v6 so what tips fit on the exhaust because the exhaust isn’t perfectly round and how to do I take the rectangular pieces on the back off as shown in photo
Old 04-19-2019, 09:22 AM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: 2019
Model: Cherokee (KL)
Engine: 2.0T

From your post it is difficult to understand exactly what you want to do. The exhaust tips are the chrome rectangular pieces attached to the Jeep body. Changing them does not effect sound in any way, they are just for looks. The muffler is the big oval part ahead of the tips, owners change this part to change the sound. There are aftermarket mufflers made for the KL which bolt right in place. Perhaps that is what you need.

Old 04-19-2019, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Reply

Originally Posted by ForcedInduction
From your post it is difficult to understand exactly what you want to do. The exhaust tips are the chrome rectangular pieces attached to the Jeep body. Changing them does not effect sound in any way, they are just for looks. The muffler is the big oval part ahead of the tips, owners change this part to change the sound. There are aftermarket mufflers made for the KL which bolt right in place. Perhaps that is what you need.

Yes sorry, yes I want a different sound but not to crazy and easy to do so how would I do that thanks
Old 04-19-2019, 02:08 PM

The cheapest route is to go to a muffler shop and have them remove the resonator and replace it with a straight piece of pipe. The sound will be different but different folks like different things so you’ll have to try it and see if you like it.
Old 04-19-2019, 06:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 480 Likes on 412 Posts
Year: 1986
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

I agree, change the muffler or ditch the resonator if it has one. One of the best mufflers that will make anything sound bad *** is the SpinTech brand. They can even make a 2L sound healthy. They are sold by number of decibels they produce and pretty much keep that level across the range of RPMs
Old 04-19-2019, 09:43 PM

The KL has a front resonator, others have removed it. Some were very happy with the sound, others were not since what sounds good to one person may not to others. The OP will have to see if he likes it.

I’ve run SpinTechs on several vehicles and loved their sound versus the ubiquitous MagnaFunks, DynaSours, etc. But that was on V-8s. Fours and sixes usually sound best with fiber-packed mufflers; chambered usually sound tinny or drone badly. Depends on what you want I guess. AFAIK only a very few chambered mufflers are made for the KL, although one could cobble together something with other mufflers - but the OP wants simple.

Old 04-20-2019, 12:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

Use these if possible. They come in different sizes, so find the outside diameter of whats there now and use the appropriate size clamp. The pipes do not have be butted as the clamp will take up the slack. But leave enough of a gap for adjustments.