Old 05-10-2015, 09:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0L
Default Electric impact wrench?

Hey guys,

Wasn't quite sure where to post this at... feel free to move it if needed.

I was just curious to if an electric impact wrench will do anything for removing leaf spring bolts? I'm going to be tackling my lift soon (hopefully the weekend after memorial day), and I'm looking for anything to make my life easier. Don't want to spend money on a air compressor that might not get used much.

Also, after putting the new leafs in, do I get these bolts threaded, but then wait to tighten/torque them down until it's on it's own wait? This seems to be what I read, but in videos I've watched, everyone just impacts everything down while it's in the air.
Old 05-10-2015, 10:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

I think that probably depends on the electric impact wrench. A Harbor Freight cheapo? Hmmm. Maybe not.

But I've heard guys on another forum rave about the Milwaukee 18v impact, and they are talking about using it on big rigs and large machinery.
Old 05-10-2015, 10:29 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeMark
I think that probably depends on the electric impact wrench. A Harbor Freight cheapo? Hmmm. Maybe not.

But I've heard guys on another forum rave about the Milwaukee 18v impact, and they are talking about using it on big rigs and large machinery.
Now that I think about it, I think our warehouse has a Milwaukee impact wrench. I'll have to give it a look and see if it's the 18v. I could use that if it's available.

Anyone else have any recommendations or experience? Cordless or corded, I don't mind either way.
Old 05-10-2015, 10:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 Inline

I have both, the DeWalt 20v lithium ion cordless and the cheapo Harbor Freight. I haven't tackled anything this big with either but I am extremely happy with the cordless and take it with me to the junkyard every time I go. The Harbor Freight has been fine for changing tires in the driveway, for $50.00 it has served its purpose for now.
Old 05-10-2015, 10:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine: 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by TFitzPat87
Now that I think about it, I think our warehouse has a Milwaukee impact wrench. I'll have to give it a look and see if it's the 18v. I could use that if it's available.

Anyone else have any recommendations or experience? Cordless or corded, I don't mind either way.
If you're only using it for one project the only way I would recommend a Milwaukee is if you can barrow/rent one. They are great tools, but at $400+ you could get a nice compressor and air-impact wrench, all the Milwaukee would save you is storage space.

The corded Harbor-Freight impact is great for the price (~$50, sometimes as low as $30 with coupon), it is rated for 230 lb-ft. this should be enough for your leaf bolts if they aren't too badly rusted (I believe the leaf-spring bolts are torqued to 115 lb-ft). I have one and use it far more than my air impact since it is a lot quicker/easier to just plug it in and use it rather than digging out the compressor, and hose, and waiting for the tank to fill.
Old 05-10-2015, 10:52 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by dmill89
If you're only using it for one project the only way I would recommend a Milwaukee is if you can barrow/rent one. They are great tools, but at $400+ you could get a nice compressor and air-impact wrench, all the Milwaukee would save you is storage space.

The corded Harbor-Freight impact is great for the price (~$50, sometimes as low as $30 with coupon), it is rated for 230 lb-ft. this should be enough for your leaf bolts if they aren't too badly rusted (I believe the leaf-spring bolts are torqued to 115 lb-ft). I have one and use it far more than my air impact since it is a lot quicker/easier to just plug it in and use it rather than digging out the compressor, and hose, and waiting for the tank to fill.
Yeah, my thoughts exactly on the milwaukee. I'll give the one at work a look and see what it's putting out.

I might just grab the harbor freight one anyway, and give it a whirl. I'm sure it will come in handy in the future for quick wheel removal. Plus at $50, it would be a decent/cheap addition to the tool collection. Not to mention, the bolts shouldn't be too rusted. For a Michigan Jeep, underneath is pretty clean.

Last edited by TFitzPat87; 05-10-2015 at 10:54 PM.
Old 05-10-2015, 11:11 PM
kgm
CF Veteran

Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

I used the HF one on my rear spring hardware. It doesn't have a TON of power, which I think helped. I used it to slowly whittle the front bolts loose by reversing directions over & over. It also makes removing u bolts pretty easy!

It wouldn't last to long term use but I use it ~3 times a year for 2 minutes at a time.
Old 05-10-2015, 11:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Detroit is one of the salt epicenters of the world.
Old 05-11-2015, 12:18 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
Detroit is one of the salt epicenters of the world.
This ^^^ Always thought it ironic the "Motor City" is over one of the larger salt deposits. Job security at it's finest

Smoke wrench might come in handy. Even tho the bolts backed out of the weld nuts in frame, they were rusted into the sleeves of bushings.. One I almost used the cut function on. Most of the rubber was burned up. This was on a pretty clean 2000 Mi vehicle
Old 05-11-2015, 12:34 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

I use an Ingersoll-Rand 20 volt impact every day. I love it and it works great! I never use my air impact anymore. I also have Snap-on electric cordless 3/8 & 1/4 drive ratchets.
Old 05-11-2015, 05:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

They do come in handy once youve broke nuts and bolts loose. Even if under powered but final torque best done by hand.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:10 AM
CF Veteran

Yeah, we definitely get wild with the salt here. Pretty unfortunate! I'm not saying nothings rusted, but It was garage kept for a long time, so I'm hoping it's alright. I'll be PB Blasting the **** out of everything for a good week or two before hand, in the hopes that that'll give me the upper hand.

I think I'll grab a harbor freight one to have on hand, then maybe a nice cordless one down the road sometime.

Torch? I'm sure that's a great idea, but I don't have the funds to buy something like that.

Appreciate all the info!
Old 05-11-2015, 07:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Originally Posted by freegdr
They do come in handy once youve broke nuts and bolts loose. Even if under powered but final torque best done by hand.
My electric impact has something like 600 lbs ft of break away torque, so there is no breaker bar needed. MATCO has one with over 700 lbs ft of torque and it sells for around five hundred bucks.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:56 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

Originally Posted by TFitzPat87
Torch? I'm sure that's a great idea, but I don't have the funds to buy something like that.
You don't need a full oxy acetelyne setup. Just a small torch will provide heat, and if you're planning to buy an impact wrench, you can afford a small bottle torch.

The big problem with these bolts is red Loctite. The factory used red Loctite to prevent the bolts from working loose. That also helps prevent you from getting them out. However, applying heat will melt the Loctite, and the bolts will come right out.

Not convinced? Watch this video around the 9:00 mark:

After seeing that, I'd rather save myself, my tools and my truck some abuse and just use the heat.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:43 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use a craftsman, 19.6 LiOn and it's awesome.

Quick Reply: Electric impact wrench?