Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Does anyone have a Cherokee with a bad motor they want to sell?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4L HO
Default Does anyone have a Cherokee with a bad motor they want to sell?

Here's my problem, I was recently given a 1996 Cherokee with the 4.0 and 5 speed that had just failed inspection because of rust in the floor boards and rocker panels. Externally it still looks nearly mint, 1 tiny spot of rust poking thru a rocker panel. It drives perfect, lots of power! My mechanic said, "Just find one like it with no rust and a bad motor. I'm having a hell of a time cause the 4.0 is so freaking tough. Also perhaps one with a bad transmission, he said he's even done swaps of 5 speeds into automatic cars. Of course I'd prefer a 5 speed one. Every thing about mine, is essentially fine, body panels, interior, etc. Also, I'm in Maine, so if I have to flatbed it behind my 4x4QC Hemi Ram, the gas is gonna kill me if it's too far. I'm thinking 500 miles away or less. Thanks. PM me if you know of one.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:47 PM

Year: 1993, 1994
Engine: 4.0L HO

You could also just get new floor pans and rockers and cut the rotten ones out. Or do they not allow this? I've never lived in a state that did inspections (although both Michigan and Florida really should, you wouldn't believe what some people will still drive).
Old 09-04-2010, 09:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

Originally Posted by CodeXJ
You could also just get new floor pans and rockers and cut the rotten ones out. Or do they not allow this? I've never lived in a state that did inspections (although both Michigan and Florida really should, you wouldn't believe what some people will still drive).
yup same here, not really surprised to see anything on the road here anymore, especially after seeing a blazer on 46s and rockwells driving down the highway
Old 09-05-2010, 03:58 PM

i must be crazy! i bought a 96 that ran but had a terrible knock and needed some holes patched in the floor....

i came home and was prepared to put an engine in it, no big deal, done it a few times already.

tore the interior out to fix the floors first, and there were none left. so they needed completely re-done. i was gonna scrap it, but decided against it because i guess i like to fix things that people think is ridiculous...lol. some pics for you to look through:

anything is possible with enough time.

[IMG]http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/b...10_800x600.jpg[IMG]

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/b...16_800x600.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/b...22_800x600.jpg
Old 09-06-2010, 08:13 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4L HO

Mine could easily be fixed with fiberglass, but Maine won't allow fiberglass, only all new steel. Frustrating cause it looks and runs like new. I just replaced gas tank, plugs, wires , distributor cap and rotor, wipers, fuel filter, exhaust, brake lines, AND new Ford 5.0 fuel injectors. Damned thing runs and drives better than new!! I really thought my brother would be able to get me an inspection sticker, but Maine is very strict. You can only run tires that are shown on the door tag! I'm thinking even one that was wrecked that still had a decent chassis. My body panels are all fine, no rust! I'm gonna keep looking. limegreen, yours was much worse than mine, btw! Yes, you may be nutz!