Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 08:47 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 98
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L
Default Deciding on a radio

I've been toying with te idea of getting a radio in my rig. Obviously the first option that comes to mind is the venerable CB setup.

However, I currently have a Midland GTX1000 handset. I can get 2 miles of range through trees and some hills between my brother and my own handsets. I saw in the store the other day a Midland "MicroMobile" radio meant for mounting in a vehicle, and I believe it would share channels with my handset. The idea of having handsets that can key into the vehicle is something i actually like.

I've heard that CB is polluted by 'potty mouths', but i dont know if this is true. However the CB is the "standard" in Rig-Radios, so theres probably always going to be someone at a wheeling meetup that has one. I'm not sure if there are handsets that use the CB bands, though.

There is also the option of just getting a HAM license, and mounting a smaller Ham radio in the jeep. this would allow me more range, and i could get a handset like the infamous Baofeng, and enjoy a longer range. However the Ham license costs money, and anyone else who would use it with me (like my brother, for instance) would need a license as well. I also dont see many other 4x4ers using a Ham.

Another idea is this MURS radio setup, it doesnt require a license and offers better range than the FRS handsets i have. however, im not sure if you can get a vehicle-mounted type of radio in this setup.

what kinds of radio setups do you guys and gals run in your vehicles? anything out of the ordinary CB setup?
Old 04-12-2017, 09:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I just went through the same thing. Here is what I did:

1. Installed a decent CB with a 4' Firestik at the tail-light position, so that about 3 feet is above the roof of the vehicle. I get about 5-8 mile range for transmitting (tested). I receive from up to 20 miles away (depending on who's transmitting, and the weather).

2. I went and took the Amateur Radio Technician license, and got that.

3. Bought a couple Baofeng radios (a UV-5R and the 8watt version as well - forget the model number). These radios can transmit/receive UHF,VHF,MURS,GMRS,FRS, and a few others. They are not supposed to be used for MURS, FRS, or GMRS. I'll let you read up on that for yourself.

4. Purchased a FCC GMRS license (no test, just a fee)

Such that I can do CB, HAM (UHF/VHF), MURS, GMRS, and FRS if need be.

The only thing I don't have is a magnetic or vehicle mounted VHF/UHF antenna for the vehicle - so I'm just using the antennas on the handhelds right now. I think I will get a small magnetic mount for the Jeep. I don't really want two full size antennas on the back, as that will make loading my kayak an extra pain.

CB still works great, and potty-mouthing is not the major problem. The major problem, is that very few people use it any more. I monitor 19 for nearly 80 miles a day, and on some days I don't hear a single transmission. Keep in mind, that I am running parallel to a major truck route, so there are no shortage of vehicles with CB radios on board. Strangely, if I radio-check, I almost always get a response in about 1 second. Which means quite a few people are still listening, but nobody is talking.

Good luck.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by jordan96xj
CB still works great, and potty-mouthing is not the major problem. The major problem, is that very few people use it any more. I monitor 19 for nearly 80 miles a day, and on some days I don't hear a single transmission. Keep in mind, that I am running parallel to a major truck route, so there are no shortage of vehicles with CB radios on board. Strangely, if I radio-check, I almost always get a response in about 1 second. Which means quite a few people are still listening, but nobody is talking.

Good luck.
this is what i have found. I run 65 miles each way to work along the I40 corrodor and dont hear much if anything. But do a mic check and youll get a response. Or if there is a smokey nearby
Old 04-12-2017, 10:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

You can get a very decent CB for about $40. I like that, because it is really the only equipment that remains in the vehicle. So that if someone decided to "walk away" with it, it wouldn't be the end of the world. I'd like to have a quad band HAM radio in the jeep, with all sorts of options. But something about putting a $500 radio in my Jeep seems risky. Plus, with the handhelds, I can take them hiking, or when I'm out on the kayak which is a bonus.

I really wish Baofeng would incorporate 11meter (CB) into the handhelds. But I've read up on that, and it basically isn't ever going to happen. I would personally love to have an affordable (and I mean Baofeng affordable) CB/UHF/VHF hand held.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:48 PM
Seasoned Member

well by that logic, having a mobile setup in the jeep that can work on both MURS and CB would be ideal.. Then i could use something like a Baofeng on the MURS freqs with the XJ set to those, and when not using the handsets i can just change the XJ radio to BC freqs.

although this is prettmy much all stuff thats over my head, so if im spouting ignorance, im sorry. All i know from firsthand experience is how my Midlands blister packs work, about a mile or a bit more on FRS channels, and out to two or maybe a bit more on the GMRS higher power channels.

I am sure i should be able to get a bit more out of a MURS setup on a Baofeng without having to get a license. but finding things that work together..
Old 04-12-2017, 08:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by jordan96xj
You can get a very decent CB for about $40. I like that, because it is really the only equipment that remains in the vehicle. So that if someone decided to "walk away" with it, it wouldn't be the end of the world. I'd like to have a quad band HAM radio in the jeep, with all sorts of options. But something about putting a $500 radio in my Jeep seems risky. Plus, with the handhelds, I can take them hiking, or when I'm out on the kayak which is a bonus.

I really wish Baofeng would incorporate 11meter (CB) into the handhelds. But I've read up on that, and it basically isn't ever going to happen. I would personally love to have an affordable (and I mean Baofeng affordable) CB/UHF/VHF hand held.
This is exactly what I did. The UV5R is a great handheld radio.
Now I just need to get a portable CB so I can walk around and still be on comms since everyone runs CB in their vehicles

Edit:
And actually, I really want to swap out my cab mounted CB for a cheap bao-feng like quad channel radio. They are a bit spend ($150 ish) but not too bad

Last edited by investinwaffles; 04-12-2017 at 08:59 PM.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by investinwaffles
And actually, I really want to swap out my cab mounted CB for a cheap bao-feng like quad channel radio. They are a bit spend ($150 ish) but not too bad
thats a good idea, something like the Nintendo switch, where you dock the handset radio in a charger of sorts, and it connects to a mast antenna on the vehicle and an external mic like a typical CB has...

Or im overthinking it, and it didnt need that stuff