Crown Automotive any good?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: '96
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Crown Automotive any good?

Not sure if this belongs here or Cherokee chatbut here it is anyway...

Their heavy-duty steering sounds good if I ever bend the stock stuff or it wears out. Their stuff made here or over seas? Some of the their other products sound good too if it's US made. Anyone know?
Old 07-27-2015, 06:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by DazedNConfused
Not sure if this belongs here or Cherokee chatbut here it is anyway...

Their heavy-duty steering sounds good if I ever bend the stock stuff or it wears out. Their stuff made here or over seas? Some of the their other products sound good too if it's US made. Anyone know?
My limited experience with Crown products has been less than enjoyable.

Most of their stuff is made in communist china. The Chinese try to reverse engineer parts and butcher it. All the Crown parts I've purchased have been out of spec.

My opinion for what it's worth.

Edit: Dorman ain't bad, but they too are having parts made in East Jabip. Bought a Dorman window regulator and the box said 'Made in South Korea'. The motor had a sticker on it that said 'Vietnam'. I spent two years in Vietnam fighting communist forces only to find out that they are still trying to stick it up our ****. We should have nuked the place, just like we did with the Japs.

Last edited by CCKen; 07-27-2015 at 06:55 PM.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:00 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000

I bought a replacement electric fan from them. It shoves more air the the original granted its louder. It seems well built. No problems so far.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by CCKen
My limited experience with Crown products has been less than enjoyable.

Most of their stuff is made in communist china. The Chinese try to reverse engineer parts and butcher it. All the Crown parts I've purchased have been out of spec.

My opinion for what it's worth.

Edit: Dorman ain't bad, but they too are having parts made in East Jabip. Bought a Dorman window regulator and the box said 'Made in South Korea'. The motor had a sticker on it that said 'Vietnam'. I spent two years in Vietnam fighting communist forces only to find out that they are still trying to stick it up our ****. We should have nuked the place, just like we did with the Japs.
I was afraid they were too good to be true. Damn Communists. I haven't liked any Dorman stuff either. Based off my Dorman experience it's about like your Crown experience. I couldn't agree with you more on that last part!

Last edited by DazedNConfused; 07-27-2015 at 09:13 PM.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:38 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

Depending on your setup and budget, you have a few choices.
Moog/Premium Carquest/Napa etc draglink, and ZJ V8 tie rod end, and of course associated adjusters and TRE's.
Also, aftermarket GOOD replacement tie rod.. possibly driver side TRE flipsert for a little better clearance.

Next level "1-ton steering" Ruffstuff, Serious, JCR, etc. Make sure you at least use ruffstuff "The cure" piece.

1 step higher; Crossover steering with heims and stock knuckles

And then; WJ brakes/steering, OTA trackbar etc. (Or reid replacement high steer knuckle)

Higher priced, bolt-in amazing steering; Currie or Synergy setup.

Etc..
Old 07-27-2015, 09:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1991
Engine: 1999 4.0L

Crown is okay for some things. Expect to replace it. That means nothing that is important or visible.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7

I really don't believe a place called "Communist China" exists any longer. When I owned a CJ-7, Crown was the go to company for all kinds of parts that were once made by American Motors. Stock parts that were not available through other sources. I was under the impression that many of these parts were made in India. India still manufactures CJ vehicles for sale there. They can't be exported to the U.S. because they don't meet safety and emission standards, much like the VW Bug produced in Mexico. I had purchased many CROWN parts over the years and they were fine. Looked and acted like the original. They held up just fine, but I did not submit them to heavy off road abuse. I figure if they are being put in CJ's in India. How bad can they be? CJ's were on tough JEEP back in the day.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:07 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

Crown is basically a maker of OEM replacement stuff. It'll be no better or no worse than your OEM stuff. It's not always as good as OEM stuff and you'll find the same to be true with Dorman.

It doesn't really matter where it's made because the origin of where something is built has almost nothing to do with its quality. It just depends on how much money a company is willing to put into something to build it to spec. Almost everything is made in China these days and not everything made in China breaks, so take it with a grain of salt. We in the U.S. have over-priced our work and I've bought some U.S. made stuff that has been made shotty and never lasts.

As for Crown though, there are certain things where using the brand won't matter. If you're doing steering, stick with name brands like Moog or Spicer, or aftermarket brands that make things better than OEM. If you cheap out on critical components, you're asking to compromise your vehicle safety, or spend more money when it breaks down the line, whichever comes first.

When you're replacing little things where quality doesn't really matter as much, such as 4x4 shifter linkage bushings, this is where Crown shines.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I have their multi-layered SS extended brake lines and well pleased with them a bit pricy but hold up well off road.

Last edited by Fred/N0AZZ; 07-28-2015 at 10:12 AM.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:14 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
I have their multi-layered SS extended brake lines and well pleased with them a bit pricy but hold up well off road.
Same, I have their brake lines as well and they seem to be holding up.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:03 PM

I know a good part is a good part regardless of where it's made, I just like to buy US if and when I can. I run a lot of Moog and Spicer parts and like' em alot. Main reason for asking about Crown was I seen the heavy-duty steering linkage. Sounded good to me if they was any good since there's a lot of rocks in Colorado, but from the sounds of it I'm gonna steer clear of them for those kinda parts. Currie set up sounds and looks pretty *****in' probably go with that when stocks stuff gets bent or worn out.