Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Craftsman or Snap-On tools?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Craftsman or Snap-On tools?

I know this is an age old debate but for working on your Cherokee what do you use?

I personally have a good bit of Craftsman tools and like one or two snap-on tools that I have "borrowed" from my father who is a mechanic for a living.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:27 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

I use Snap-On mostly. I bought most mine used when you could actually get a good deal at a Pawn Shop. I have broke more Craftsman tools than I have Snap-On. I definitely like Snap-On Ratchets better than Craftsman. As far as sockets go you can usually get by with Craftsman.

Last edited by ezab; 12-08-2010 at 09:13 AM.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:30 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 high output straight 6

Personally, I like craftsman better. I have used matco and snap-on and I still swear by craftsman hand tools. Snap-on is good but I hate waiting for the truck to show up to get a replacement ( sometimes not on the truck which means longer wait time). I love being to beat the crap out of my craftsman tools have them break and being able to drive 5 minutes away and pick up a replacement for free the same day.

I use Snap-on impacts and torque wrenches though for reliablity and accuracy.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by ezab
I use Snap-On mostly. I bought all mine used when you could actually get a good deal at a Pawn Shop. I have broke more Craftsman tools than I have Snap-On. I definitely like Snap-On Ratchets better than Craftsman. As far as sockets go you can usually get by with Craftsman.
I can see how snap-on ratchets can be better quality. I have a Mac tools ratchet that is about a thousand times better than my craftsman ones.

Originally Posted by Nor-CalJeeper
Personally, I like craftsman better. I have used matco and snap-on and I still swear by craftsman hand tools. Snap-on is good but I hate waiting for the truck to show up to get a replacement ( sometimes not on the truck which means longer wait time). I love being to beat the crap out of my craftsman tools have them break and being able to drive 5 minutes away and pick up a replacement for free the same day.

I use Snap-on impacts and torque wrenches though for reliablity and accuracy.
Not that I can really justify (or afford) snap-on tools anyway but this is the exact reason I have been going back to over and over. If I break something I can drive to one of the three Sears stores within ten miles of my house, not being a mechanic by trade I don't even know where I would find a snap-on truck.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:42 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I hate trying to chase down the trucks too. It seems all the tool companies now are making everything cheaper. The Snap-On adapters from 1/2" to 3/8" used to be one solid piece now they are 2 so they can just replace the part that breaks. My dad has a set of Craftsman from 30 years ago and it is still pretty much all original.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1987

snap-on impact sockets. everything else is craftsman, and I use ingersoll rand air tools explicitly.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:04 PM

i have been going to school for a couple years for diesel mechanics, and people in my class including me argue over this stuff all of the time, snap-on, matco, mac, and cornwell, is nice and everything, but what it comes down too is no matter what we like best WE ALL USE AND HAVE CRAFTSMAN TOOLS lol.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 91 Limited

Performance tool brand. Sold at sears and advanced auto. Life time warrenty and can return at either place. I recommend them. I love their ratcheting wrenches too!
Old 12-06-2010, 09:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0 i6

i use whatever tool guys tool that shows up when i need a particular tool
Old 12-06-2010, 09:12 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Craftsman is liftime warranty...could be ind ten pieces just bring it into sears... walk out with a new one..but for over all quality and performance Snap-on all the way. its what i use mostly but i do have some craftsman tools as well.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 88
Engine: 4.0 HO

I will buy snap-on anyday over crapman!
Old 12-06-2010, 09:15 PM

All great responses. I am not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination but it is worth noting that the only tool I have ever broken was a snap-on socket. Yes I was using a regular chrome socket on an impact gun but I have done that a thousand times with my craftsman tools and no bad things have ever happened.

This is a pretty solid set as far as I can tell:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...1&blockType=G1
Old 12-06-2010, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by JeepingDan
I will buy snap-on anyday over crapman!
Why though? I get that you don't like craftsman but without an explanation it doesn't mean much.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

Originally Posted by JeepCoMJ
snap-on impact sockets. everything else is craftsman, and I use ingersoll rand air tools explicitly.
x2 on ingersol rand

and i just get whichever is closer or easier to get. IMO snap on will last longer but it costs alot more and you can get the same life out of a few craftsman and it will cost about the same lol
its all personal preference in my opinion.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:23 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Sublimejoe
All great responses. I am not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination but it is worth noting that the only tool I have ever broken was a snap-on socket. Yes I was using a regular chrome socket on an impact gun but I have done that a thousand times with my craftsman tools and no bad things have ever happened.

This is a pretty solid set as far as I can tell:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...1&blockType=G1

Pretty solid set for 90 gw's...

This was on sale for 699 on blackfriday...really good deal
http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_101...2&blockType=L2

Quick Reply: Craftsman or Snap-On tools?