Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

CPS - TOO CLOSE FOR COMFORT (cps gap)

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 08:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default CPS - TOO CLOSE FOR COMFORT (cps gap)

had to jump in here and sign up to post this little gem! i bought my first xj not running for $600 . i was told it was at three shops and noone could get it to run. for the price i was just going to drop a new motor in it and it would stil be a steal. but i started tinkering and a month later i was still banging my head , but i couldnt give up. after a few new computers a couple different cps later i was still dead in the water. i was told by a jeep "expert" that it must have the wrong flywheel and the notches were in the wrong position . so my next step was to pull the trans back.... well im glad i didnt because on my last attempt of trouble shooting i left one of the bolts out of the CPS and thats when things got good . i was tugging on the cps connector to disconnect it when the cps pivoted away from the flywheel . a buddy stopped by to see if he could help yank the trans back and he asked to hear it crank! i put the key in and like magic the old straight 6 fired right up! still sounded like it wasnt firing on all 6 so i took a long extension to tap the sensor back into place and about 1/2 inch away from the flywheel it smoothed right out! so i need to slot both holes about 1/4 to get the sensor at the correct distance! now i have some other sensors throwing codes i need to get the wiring block back on the alternator and reset the codes and with a new battery most of that stuff should clear up! i will start a build thread soon and post any othe trials and tribulations i have along the way and im sure i will find all the info i need to get her on the trail in no time!

hope this helps someone else who is at the same deadend!

thanks guys Brian from Jersey
The following users liked this post:
PatHenry (07-08-2019)
Old 06-01-2011, 09:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Thumbs up More easy fixes for trouble xjs

Just thought i would add that while trying to chase down my sensor gremlins i found a few tips to smooth things out! First i cleaned every electrical connection under the hood that i could! Small wire brush to shine up pins and terminals and a light shot of liquid wrench wiped on all bare metal connections. Then i pulled all the ground wires and cleaned the connectors and metal contact points after that i resecured them all nice and tight and hit them with a coat of liquid wrench to keep corrosion down . As i went along things started getting better and better . I also replaced all the cheap sensors and a few pricey ones but saved the old ones as spares bc most worked before i pulled them . Only thing not working is my fuel guage so i will clean up all the connections on the gas tank. So if your chasing ghosts around your engine compartment a little cleaning and maintenance can go a long way . Most jeep connectors are kinda light duty for the crap we put them through so take care of them ! Also something i always over look are high quality spark plugs and wires i was running $2 auto lights and a guy at pepboys said "jeeps dont like autolight plugs " so i went another 50 cents on the champions and it really helped smooth things out further . Im not saying that you need platinum plugs and $100 plug wires but good quality plugs and wires should be on your list of things to do! Im going to start a shadetree mechanic tips page so i can help spread the work about these "little" problems!

Keep wheelin , brian from jersey
PatHenry (07-08-2019)
Old 07-05-2019, 06:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Question CPS

Changing Motors, taking Motor from a 1996 Cherokee Country and putting it in a 98 sport. Both 4.0's 98 has different plug ends pick up coil is different, Coil has different plug in, throttle body sensors ,injecter wiring etc. i think all that will inner change./Just use the 98 wiring harness My question is? Will the 98 Crank Position Sensors work with the 96 motor. Also does it have to come off the bell housing or just unplug it.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1,065 Likes on 856 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Comanche (MJ)

You probably want to remove the CPS anyway so you don't damage it when removing and reinstalling the engine.
cruiser54 (07-06-2019)
Old 07-05-2019, 08:49 PM

Are the fly wheels the same... im changing motors. taking motor from 96 cherokee country putting in 98 sport. connectors are different. should i use the 98 flywheel on the 96 motor to match the cps or. Im will be using the 98 wiring harness etc. Also does the cps even have to come off the bellhousing when u pull just the motor. Can i just unplug it? Leave it there unplugged...Please i need help quick...
Old 07-06-2019, 08:33 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990

91 and later should be the same flywheel.
Old 07-06-2019, 10:46 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,065 Likes on 856 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Comanche (MJ)

Originally Posted by Kevinf
Also does the cps even have to come off the bellhousing when u pull just the motor. Can i just unplug it? Leave it there unplugged...Please i need help quick...
As posted in your other thread, I would remove the CPS just so you don't damage it.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:49 AM

Thanks Guys.. I did it.. i changed the flywheel and put the 98 flexplate/flywheel on the 96 motor and i did remove the cps on 98 when installing the motor and she fired right up. Thank you for your replies.
PatHenry (07-08-2019)
Old 07-08-2019, 07:22 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990

Originally Posted by Kevinf
Thanks Guys.. I did it.. i changed the flywheel and put the 98 flexplate/flywheel on the 96 motor and i did remove the cps on 98 when installing the motor and she fired right up. Thank you for your replies.

And, thank YOU for posting back.