Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Comsidering buying 97 jeep grand cherokee laredo

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 05:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Comsidering buying 97 jeep grand cherokee laredo

Hi...ive never owned a jeep and dont know much bout cars... Its a v6 and im told it needs an a.c. compressor. Has 82k miles. Priced at 1700... Is this a PROBLEM YEAR OR PROBLEM VEHICLE? Does price sound good? Any input helpful.i would need to use from time to time to tow a 3500 pound camper also... Any educated or experienced 97 jeep owners or mechanics have any advice?? Thank you so much
Old 09-29-2017, 01:53 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Its a inline 6 not a v6 and with out pictures its hard to say if its worth buying or not.And if you want to tow a trailer i would look in to a v8 grand cherokee its 1mpg less then the inline 6 and can pull more weight.
Old 09-29-2017, 08:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

If you intend to get up into the mountains or have to deal with any serious grades that grand cherokee will be hurting at 3500 lbs towing. In terms of both power and heat.

The grand cherokee with a 4.0L is already at a slight disadvantage compared to a standard cherokee because it is a heavier vehicle.

I pull a pop-up camper at no more than about 2000lbs and with 2 adults and 2 small children, and very little cargo in the tow vehicle, it is a challenge on long steep grades. On flat land, or rolling hills it tows wonderfully. But if I don't build up some speed before hitting the bottom of a long hill, the climb can be a real chore.

4.0L motors are nice to work on, but I would recommend a v8 grand cherokee for that size of camper.