Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 05:34 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L I6
Default Cherokee camping hacks/mods thread

Hi all,
I know a lot of us camp out of our cherokees so I wanted to make a thread where we can all swap ideas/ tricks (and show off a little bit ).

I will start with a picture of my cherokee camping set up, I put a twin bed in the back and I have a table attachment for my rear tire carrier to put my stove on.

Looking forward to seeing all the awesome cherokee camping setups!
Old 09-02-2018, 08:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L H.O.

Cool thread idea, subbed.
Old 09-05-2018, 06:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Free standing good weather shade.

Rolled up and removable.

High wind and rain configuration.

Supporting brackets fashioned from landscaping edging (polyethylene plastic).

Simply slides in behind trim.

Interior fishing pole and kayak paddle rack. Made from adjustable closet bars for about $10/each. They come with end caps that are easily modded to act as brackets to hang into the trim. This was taken when I first put it in. I have since added clips to the rear bar so that the poles and paddle just clip in below the rear pole and go over the front pole.

4 gutter mount cross bars. Each set of two is a gmr-165 from proline racks for $59. They are a Thule knock-off and I like having the flexibility to attach things in different arrangements, and it is set up to work with my DIY awning kit.
The following users liked this post:
Chris Tice (01-25-2021)
Old 09-05-2018, 07:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Did you make the receiver table? Lets see some more pics
Old 09-05-2018, 08:07 PM

Wow jordan I like those. I am planning on doing an awning like that once I build my roof rack.

Here are some more pics of the table. Its just a plate with two rods welded on the bottom that slides into two .5x.5 tubes on the swing out tire carrier. I really like how it turned out.
Also Martlor you might know the spot, this was camping between Dixon and Picuris pueblo

Old 09-05-2018, 09:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0L I-6

Flyrod !!! Trout ??? When I lived near the coast, use to see rigs set up for surf fishing. Big tires, killer surf rod racks mounted in front of the grill ! I camped out of my Dakota pickup. Bought a nice cot, that fit perfectly in the back. Had a nice topper. Plenty of storage. Have to see if those cots will fit in my XJ. I have a dbl inflatable cot that is awesome! It's on a cot frame. But I think it's too big ? I'm subbing to this one! Need suggestions ! Definitely interested in an inverter set up. Also a large roll up solar panel for charging phones, etc. I made a setup, using a deep cycle battery to run my CPAP machine ! Even have a WI FI Hotspot !!! Even have a smaller solar panel to charge the battery! Gang, I know this doesn't sound like roughing it, I've already done all that ! U.S.M.C Jungle Survival 2 X , Desert Warfare and Survival 3 X, Cold Weather and Mountain Survival 2 X , Ocean Survival 1X , Don't have to prove anything to myself ! But,,, I still camp, in tents !!! That's camping !
Old 09-06-2018, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by CRLAMBERTJR
Flyrod !!! Trout ??? When I lived near the coast, use to see rigs set up for surf fishing. Big tires, killer surf rod racks mounted in front of the grill ! I camped out of my Dakota pickup. Bought a nice cot, that fit perfectly in the back. Had a nice topper. Plenty of storage. Have to see if those cots will fit in my XJ. I have a dbl inflatable cot that is awesome! It's on a cot frame. But I think it's too big ? I'm subbing to this one! Need suggestions ! Definitely interested in an inverter set up. Also a large roll up solar panel for charging phones, etc. I made a setup, using a deep cycle battery to run my CPAP machine ! Even have a WI FI Hotspot !!! Even have a smaller solar panel to charge the battery! Gang, I know this doesn't sound like roughing it, I've already done all that ! U.S.M.C Jungle Survival 2 X , Desert Warfare and Survival 3 X, Cold Weather and Mountain Survival 2 X , Ocean Survival 1X , Don't have to prove anything to myself ! But,,, I still camp, in tents !!! That's camping !
Yep, trout fishing!
I think bugout 4x4 has an inverter/deep cycle/ solar panel setup, maybe he'll put it on here.
Old 09-06-2018, 02:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1994

I have no good mods yet..... but ill hang out n watch till I do! nice work peeps
Old 09-06-2018, 02:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000

Originally Posted by xjnm
Wow jordan I like those. I am planning on doing an awning like that once I build my roof rack.

Here are some more pics of the table. Its just a plate with two rods welded on the bottom that slides into two .5x.5 tubes on the swing out tire carrier. I really like how it turned out.
Also Martlor you might know the spot, this was camping between Dixon and Picuris pueblo
What is this thread about again? All I see is a cast iron skillet full of bacon frying. "UhhhHHHhhrghhhuuuuHHHggrruhhhHHhh."
Old 09-07-2018, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Ralph77
What is this thread about again? All I see is a cast iron skillet full of bacon frying. "UhhhHHHhhrghhhuuuuHHHggrruhhhHHhh."
camping... not sure what your point is haha
Old 09-07-2018, 10:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 97

Originally Posted by xjnm
Yep, trout fishing!
I think bugout 4x4 has an inverter/deep cycle/ solar panel setup, maybe he'll put it on here.
Just ran across this. My set up is on the coach and it is currently at my other location in another state. It would be too large a set up to take along in the Jeep camping. But... what I do is pull one of the 80 Watt panels and take it along Jeep camping with us. Thing is though, I don't use it for AC voltage or AC devices at all when out camping. We go camping to get away from AC devices.

We just hook the panel up to the Jeep battery to help keep it topped off as we use the radio, dome lights, and smaller things like charging flashlights and cell phones so that we don't have to start the engine and recharge. But there isn't any reason why someone can't also just clip a portable inverter onto the Jeep battery if they needed to. We just never really needed AC devices out camping, we stay pretty basic and minimal.

And I am always afraid that if I take things like AC tools I might actually have to use them... lol
Old 09-07-2018, 03:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default XJ Camping Hacks

Added a Roofnest RTT and an ARB awning this summer and am enjoying it immensely:

Old 09-08-2018, 04:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 250 Likes on 168 Posts

Hey Jordan - how are those Hankooks in the winter? I seriously see these tires EVERYWHERE over in Rochester. Seems like I'm missing out.
Old 09-08-2018, 06:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

When I bought them 2 years ago, not too many people had heard about them yet. They are really starting to take off now. I'm seeing them a lot more now as well. Last winter I only had 4x4 on maybe 3 times (remember how bad the winter was?). These tires were absolutely great on the snow and ice. For the price, I'm not sure their value can be beat. They are a very smooth rolling and well balanced tire from the factory. I have put maybe 20k miles on them, and their wear has been very good. Mine still look new. My only complaints would be that I wish they looked just a little more aggressive (just an aesthetic thing) and that after about 10k miles they did start to get quite a bit louder, it is particularly noticeable if the road surface is damp (not wet, but damp). In terms of performance and value, there is absolutely no reason I shouldn't stick with them when it is time to replace. The only factor that might change my mind is looks. A lot of friends are going with the Falken Wildpeak ATW3 (which is also starting to take off in popularity), they like the performance and looks and price, but they do have a reputation for being a little less smooth, especially when cold.

I have also had the opportunity to take them off-road a few times, and they have been pretty stellar in that regard as well. I think they are much better in that regime then their looks would have someone believe.

Last edited by jordan96xj; 09-08-2018 at 06:31 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1989

Originally Posted by tinytrax78
I have no good mods yet..... but ill hang out n watch till I do! nice work peeps
Same here! I have used it for camping a hundred or more times in the last seven years but about the only "camping" mod I've made is to install a 1,500 watt pure sine wave inverter which is handy for running my buddy's CPAP and my coffee maker. Planning on a roof rack to which I will add a 6" x 6' sealed ABS tube that will function as a solar water heater. Mine will just be gravity fed but the guy I got the idea from ran a line from his ARB compressor to the tank to pressurize it.

Quick Reply: Cherokee camping hacks/mods thread