Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Camshaft

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Camshaft

I have a question is can you roll a cam out and new one back in like you can a small block Chevy? The reason I ask is I have chewed up two distributor gear in less than 50 miles. Is it ok to do a cam and lifter kit to fix the issue or should I put in a rebuilt or used motor? Not familiar with this problem so looking for some advice. It is a 99 4.0l engine. Please send your input, I need some advise.
Old 12-29-2018, 10:52 AM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Welcome to the site ssgcoleman1 !

I would look at the dist. for a worn shaft or bearing look at the up and down movement of the shaft in the dist. housing. With dist out spin the oil pump drive does it spin free? there has to be something a miss there I would think you will find your problem if they are good then yes you can pull cam and lifters like you can on a small block Chevy. then look at cam bearings and the trust on the front of cam behind the cam sprocket.
Old 04-04-2021, 03:36 PM

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 now 4.6

I am in the process of installing my newly stroked 4.0 (now 4.6). I went with a Clegg/Howard’s camshaft.

https://www.cleggengine.com/jeep-4-0...e-j4-cam1.html

I went with this cam for two reasons.

1. A stroked motor will do better with this profile. Feeding the beast if you will...
2. I’m in Southern California. As such I need to still pass smog. This cam profile will feed the beast and still get me through smog...

Now, I just got the cam from them, not the entire kit. Though I did go with the double roller timing chain, not that it really matters.

Sound like whoever did your build either didn’t use the right cam or didn’t install it correctly. Ive read a few nightmares about stroking these motors. Let’s hope my break in procedure and cam choice are all good...

For what its worth, I’ve called around and have spoken to a few folks and the biggest issue I hear is cams getting worn down or spinning a bearing on the crank. The cam issue is usually break in issues and the bearing is usually the builders fault. Keep us posted...