Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Bumper Hitch

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Bumper Hitch

Looking to add a receiver hitch to my 2001 Jeep Cherokee to pull trailer and small boat...wondering if anyone has a suggestion on the best one...have looked at a few and they do not look like the holes will match up... Thanks in advance ....
Old 04-25-2017, 12:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

The stock hitch. Go to most any junkyard and you should be able to pull one off any 84-01 Cherokee and bolt it right up. Grab the threaded pieces inside the frame rails and bolts while you are there. Shouldn't cost much more than $50. Can also pull the plug in harness from the donor vehicle at the same time. Plugs in between the driver's tail light and the harness. Completely plug and play.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 6 cylinder

Installing your own hitch be 'can' be a real PITA depending on how big of a project it could turn out to be.

If you don't have a factory fuel tank skid plate then a threaded nut strip needs to be installed in the driver's side rail. There's only one rail nut strip for the muffler hanger on the pass. side. And hope the bolts snap off on that one.
To install a nut strip on the driver's side, the bumper needs to come off.

When the fuel pump was changed on my XJ every stinking skid plate bolt broke due to rust. The skid plate bolts are also used to fasten my hitch.

Now what to do to get my hitch and skid plate re-installed. I didn't want to pull the bumper to replace the internal nut strips.

Took it over to a hitch place with my hitch and skid plate in the cargo area.
They had both installed in a couple hours without pulling the bumper and only cost $150 bucks.

First they pounded the old broken nut strips up out the rail and pushed it forward out of the way i'd guess by the now open bolt holes.
Then they fished rectangular washers with a square holes in the center along with a carriage bolts from the open end of the rail near the bumper.

So my advice is to take it to U-haul or preferable a dedicated hitch place and have them install a hitch professionally.
Yeah, it'll cost but you'll know its done right.
Old 04-29-2017, 06:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by bad_idea
The stock hitch. Go to most any junkyard and you should be able to pull one off any 84-01 Cherokee and bolt it right up. Grab the threaded pieces inside the frame rails and bolts while you are there.
Then look them over carefully, see how rusted they are, throw them away, and go buy something new so that you aren't endangering yourself or other people on the road.

Curt, DrawTite, any major brand. Pick one.

ETA: You could keep an eye on Craigslist. I just picked up a new Curt for $55. Had been installed for a few weeks, then removed. Not bad!

Last edited by BlueRidgeMark; 04-29-2017 at 07:13 PM.