Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 09:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L
Default bedline the bumpers??

did a couple searches and couldn't find much on the topic...

has anyone had experiencing bedlining the stock bumpers? what about the endcaps? I'm interested in doing this to my XJ and want to know if anyone has any pics or opinions on it.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: Used engine just put in less than 79kmiles onit jeepersCreepers 60mm TB, '99-'01 intake, BorlaHeader

Hey here a thread on it. Quite a few have done it.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/bed...d-paint-39085/
Old 07-01-2012, 01:11 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L I6

I bedlined my stock bumpers, endcaps, lower doors, mirrors and rockers. I really recommend Herculiner over anything else.
Attached Thumbnails bedline the bumpers??-forumrunner_20120630_230957.jpg   bedline the bumpers??-forumrunner_20120630_231016.jpg   bedline the bumpers??-forumrunner_20120630_231036.jpg  
Old 07-01-2012, 08:52 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0

I did my 98 bumper and endcaps with the bedliner Advance Auto carries in spray cans. It looks awesome and touches up easily if scratched or scuffed. My endcaps were horribly chewed up and the liner filled in the bad areas with a couple extra coats in the problem areas. It took at least two cans. I'm not terribly rough so its holding up ok.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you take the paint off first or just spray over it?
Old 07-01-2012, 10:55 AM

I used sandpaper and a good cleaningg with rubbing alcohol on all the surfaces that got bedliner. Use gloves when you put it on
Old 07-01-2012, 11:55 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0

I used a Scotchbrite with wax and grease remover. Sanded the chewed up corners with 80 grit and sprayed them. You can lay a couple coats on rough areas, let them dry, and sand them smooth before final spraying the final full piece.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:37 PM

Year: '93

Originally Posted by 98_XJ Sport
I used sandpaper and a good cleaningg with rubbing alcohol on all the surfaces that got bedliner. Use gloves when you put it on
Do you remember how much Herculiner it took to do all that? I don't want to go buy the gallon if a quart will be enough. Your jeep looks great by the way.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by 843xjBoi

Do you remember how much Herculiner it took to do all that? I don't want to go buy the gallon if a quart will be enough. Your jeep looks great by the way.
Thanks it only took a quart but I honestly would buy a gallon. Its nice to have extra to touch up. I would get some black UV resistant spray paint and go over it with that as well, it does fade after a while
Old 09-15-2012, 02:37 PM

Your going to get several different answers from several points of perspective. I did a TON of research before lining my stuff. I wrote Durabak, Hurculiner, a few other companies that escape my memory, and I obtained samples from Rhino Liner and Line-X.

I was looking to do the inside of my old TJ Unlimited. The Line-X guy told me to rub all the samples against his and then see the results. Sure enough, all the other samples rubbed smooth where as the Line-X was unphased. Now, this is not a plug for Line-X by any means. I ended up Line-Xing pretty much everything on my old Jeep. The guy knew what he was doing, but he was an *******. I didn't care for him at all, but he did good work.

The product does matter over the long run as you get what you pay for. However; that being said, the key to longevity here is the preparation. If the prep is not done right then it won't adhere, no matter what product you choose.

I had my interior, bumpers (front & rear), fender flares, and homemade lock box all Line-X'd. That stuff is so damn strong that my Buchwacker Pocket Flares had a crack in one of them. After it was sprayed real good, I could reef on it and it would not split again. I landed full weight on a rock when crawling, it took only a small chunk out of the Line-X.

Will all that being said, I do believe that Line-X is the best product on the market. HOWEVER; your doing a stock bumper on an XJ. Remove it, prep it real good, spray it with a rattle can of Dupicolor Truckbed coating in a can. Trust me on this. If I could do it all over again, this is the way to go. If you get a scratch with anything else, it's a PIT royal *** to fix. If you scratch the Dupicolor coated bumper, no biggie, wipe the area to be fixed down with some rubbing alcohol, and spray some more on it, good as new, you will never be able to tell. Anything metal on the exterior, Dupicolor Truckbed Coating in a rattle can is the best choice and easy to touch up. If you wheel, you will end up touching up spots.....

As a matter of fact, if you want to get real fancy, get yourself a very small can of POR-15. Prep the bumper, paint it on, while it's tacky, spray your dupicolor on it. Your bumper should never rust if you go that route. Ohh, it's paintable as well.

Last edited by paragrunt; 09-15-2012 at 02:42 PM.