Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 12:54 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6 Renix
Angry Be aware of shady people selling you a jeep

So when I got my jeep the breaks were a little soft they guy a supposed "mechanic" said that they just needed bled. Ok easy enough I take it to Les Schwab they check they breaks I have no break shoes in my passenger break drum and my master cylinder might go out . They quoted me 450 bucks to replace both I said F you I'll just do it my self at a fraction of that they wanted to charge me 33 bucks for shoes ! Then they made me sign a liability waver before a could take my beloved Heep of a Jeep home. So long story short don't believe dumb asses selling cars, and do your work your self and save yourself a lot of money. And the best part is he sold it to me with a title that didn't have his name on it Micheal and Michele look a hell of a lot alike so I had to track down the people on the title and have them write me a bill of sale so I could get my Jeep on the road. Its all sorted out now, but I'm waiting for some money to fix my breaks .
Old 06-03-2010, 12:59 PM
Registered Users

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Rockstar_Tendencies
So when I got my jeep the breaks were a little soft they guy a supposed "mechanic" said that they just needed bled. Ok easy enough I take it to Les Schwab they check they breaks I have no break shoes in my passenger break drum and my master cylinder might go out . They quoted me 450 bucks to replace both I said F you I'll just do it my self at a fraction of that they wanted to charge me 33 bucks for shoes ! Then they made me sign a liability waver before a could take my beloved Heep of a Jeep home. So long story short don't believe dumb asses selling cars, and do your work your self and save yourself a lot of money. And the best part is he sold it to me with a title that didn't have his name on it Micheal and Michele look a hell of a lot alike so I had to track down the people on the title and have them write me a bill of sale so I could get my Jeep on the road. Its all sorted out now, but I'm waiting for some money to fix my breaks .
wow that sucks. why didnt you look at these things? said brakes need to be bled that should put up a red flag that you need to look at the brakes before you buy. brake shoes and MC are simple to install. have you never bought a car before? you ALWAYS look at the title to make sure it matches whoever is selling it to you. sucks you have to go through this but you live and learn. next time do some home work.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Yeah it's not my first car I'm 18 so don't really know what I'm doing still no excuse though but I doubt I'll make that mistake again, and I still love my Jeep and like working on cars so ehh.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:29 PM
Registered Users

Year: 1992

Originally Posted by Rockstar_Tendencies
Yeah it's not my first car I'm 18 so don't really know what I'm doing still no excuse though but I doubt I'll make that mistake again, and I still love my Jeep and like working on cars so ehh.
right on! we all live and learn.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:24 PM

Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I-6

Grats on your jeep, glad to see you already know the amount of money you save by doing it yourself xP
Old 06-03-2010, 02:41 PM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

BTW Breaks is for

While Brakes is for
Old 06-03-2010, 04:11 PM
Seasoned Member

My bad I'm not very good with spelling
Old 06-03-2010, 04:19 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 99

haha nice visuals blue, i was thinking the same thing
Old 06-03-2010, 04:28 PM
CF Veteran

Model: Comanche

So was I... BUT nobody likes to be publicly made fun of for bad spelling. That should be reserved only for people that dont even try to make whatever they write legible.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:35 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 99

nobodys making fun of anyone. its simply banter amongst guys (mostly guys)
Old 06-03-2010, 05:31 PM

I bought a car from a mechanic.. once that being the key word. any other vehicale I have bought as I am talking to the seller I look around see whats what. if they are a back yard mech or a working one... I walk away.. most of the time they are selling it because they do not want to fix it or its not fixable... its been my experiance that mechanics work all day so there cars go to s*)$ so to speak..... I have bought a lot of bikes cars trucks over the years I would have to say over a 1000 in my short 40 years of life... only one from a mechanic. once bit twice shy...
you live and learn... just remeber and life will be better
Old 06-03-2010, 07:28 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 I6

sorry about your situation. but these things happen. a sight of any cherokee makes me wanna buy it. even if they'd tell me that it's been through floods and been burned down and rolled down a hill, in my heart i think "I can probably fix that".
you probably liked the vehicle, so you got too excited. most people make that mistake only once. don't beat yourself up. get those BRAKES dialed in (just kiddin' ), and take it on the trail and drop it like it's hot.
welcome to the best cherokee forum out there. we have a few NUTS here, but most of the bolts are alright.
feel free to ask for any assistance info, you'll see most of us will go out of our way to help ya. good luck.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:57 PM
Seasoned Member

Thanks for all the support guys. I love the Jeeping community thats why I had to get another XJ this is my second one. My first one was near perfect actully shelled out some pesos for it got this one in a trade. I'm getting new BRAKE shoes here soon and a master cylinder a little later currently looking for work.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:08 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1988
Engine: Rebuilt 4.0L

I was in a similar situation with my 94 Camaro that i bought when i was 18 (i'm only 19 now, lol). Title looked good, turns out it was crap. guy said car was great, it test-drove great, and for the first few weeks, it WAS great. Then, it got an engine tick, clutch switch for ignition was starting to go out, and it started popping out of reverse. I got rid of it for my XJ (still trying to figure out which is in worse shape...lol). Long-story short, i ran into state troopers with my unregistered camaro with a bad title, and they accused me of stealing it, but i used my brains and got out of it by showing i had the insurance in my name.

Anyways, good luck to ya, and if you've got any questions about the registration process with a bad title, give me a holler, i'll try and help!
Old 06-04-2010, 01:15 AM
Seasoned Member

Thanks I did get her registered and insured don't ask how

Quick Reply: Be aware of shady people selling you a jeep