Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Another project down: U-joints and brakes!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Another project down: U-joints and brakes!

What a long day...bleh. My axle u-joints were getting rusty so I decided to swap em out and put on some new rotors/pads being I was in there as well. I think Im the first person to ever disassemble that front drive shaft cuz holy hell was it rusty. Got everything apart...hardest part was getting the old joints out. I rented one of those presses from Autozone but honestly thing Im just going to use a large socket and my large c-clamp next time...that things a pita to work with if you dont have a vice to hold it in.

Anyhow, I got it all apart and the passenger side went back together pretty easy. The drivers side gave me fits though...I wish I had bought an extra u-joint because when I was pressing it down the second cap to put the c-clip in the cap that I already had it popped in half...so had to go to Napa and get a new joint. Kinda sucks because its not a Spicer, but o well...Ill prolly change em again down the road if I dont sell it for a nicer Jeep first. Anyways, after that setback I got it all together and took it around the block a few times. No weird noises when turning or driving and now that I have new pads/rotors that annoying brake squeal is gone. Overall a good 5 hours....lol I need a beer.