Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

Is $6,000 for a used XJ too much?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Is $6,000 for a used XJ too much?

I realize this may not be a simple questions but here goes...

I've been looking around for an XJ to purchase but noticed that the price of an XJ seems pretty high so I wanted input from the forum on what you thought.

Basically what I'm looking for is an XJ that can be driven away without needing anything major for a few months. Things like surface rust and replacing old parts is expected.

Do you think $5,000-$6,000 is normal for a Jeep Cherokee XJ?
Old 07-26-2017, 04:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by jettamethis
I realize this may not be a simple questions but here goes...

I've been looking around for an XJ to purchase but noticed that the price of an XJ seems pretty high so I wanted input from the forum on what you thought.

Basically what I'm looking for is an XJ that can be driven away without needing anything major for a few months. Things like surface rust and replacing old parts is expected.

Do you think $5,000-$6,000 is normal for a Jeep Cherokee XJ?
imo no....4k is the spot for me, but tgats in my area.... in others 6k may be ok but not for me haha
Old 07-26-2017, 04:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998

XJ prices are highly dependent on geography. The exact same XJ that could be had for $800 in New Jersey will sell for $4500 here in Nashville.

And we havent even gotten to options, condition, year, mileage....
Old 07-27-2017, 01:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Depends on a lot of things like where you live,The mileage and the year it is and if its a car lot or person selling it.To me that is way to high most sell here for 3k or less but else where it could be normal.But i would look at 91-99 years only the 00-01 years have a head that can crack and 86 and older had engines you don't want.
Old 07-27-2017, 08:29 AM

Year: 98

If it is rust free someone up here in Minnesota would spend $6000 on one. I wouldn't spend that much, but people do because rust free is extremely rare.
Old 07-27-2017, 08:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 224 Likes on 174 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

Too high IMO. I spent $4500 on mine from a dealer in Massachusetts with 130k. Had a small lift, remote start, some bells and whistles and was very clean at the time. I still think I overpaid.
Old 07-27-2017, 02:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

No one can say "too high" without seeing it.

I paid $6k for mine, but it looked like it rolled right off the factory lot. To me, that's worth it.

If you're buying someone's "fix me up" project that didn't go as planned, then yes it's too much.
Old 07-27-2017, 03:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by thatXJguy
No one can say "too high" without seeing it.

I paid $6k for mine, but it looked like it rolled right off the factory lot. To me, that's worth it.

If you're buying someone's "fix me up" project that didn't go as planned, then yes it's too much.
I sure can lol. But that'sbecause I know the market for xj in my area isn't that high...if it was fully built done up right you could probably get 6k here.....maybe haha

and looks are deceieving. It's amazing what some wax, armor all, and the works can do to a pos vehicle mechanically wise haha....so you do have a point. We can't really say if 6k is too high with out knowing his market and the overall condition.
Old 07-27-2017, 05:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

Looks can be deceiving, but I did research on the car like the carfax before buying and saw one owner on it with A+++ scheduled maintenance. After owning the Jeep myself for 4.5 years, hindsight still says, "yeah that $6,000 investment was worth it."

I guess I got lucky. I've still never seen an XJ that was in as good condition inside and out as mine (was) before I sold it and I'm not even in the rust belt. Lots of the ones I see today I would barely pay $2k for either because some kid mudded the crap out of it or repairs were hack-jobbed. Unfortunately, I spent too much in the aftermarket sector which actually raped me in the long run.

Now with my JK, I am leaving it stock, and I've gone a year leaving it like that. Lessons were learned young, and I'm that much wiser today.
Old 07-27-2017, 07:14 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Xj's in my area go for 6k all day long. Bad ones. With crap mods. Blue book is no help...as they list prices wildly lower than what people are asking.

Location severely affects price, and not in a good way here. What it boils down to is supply and demand.

Out here, vehicles are a status symbol. Stupid Kommiefornia. But, everyone who wants a Cherokee, wants it lifted by any means necessary (RC crap, and other questionable mods)...so they pay the price. Sad, really. Doesn't mean deals aren't out there, but any that pop up go FAST. Even the 2wd ones are overpriced and go quick...

Makes me glad I got mine in Colorado before I moved here for sure, haha
Old 07-27-2017, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by wizardpc
XJ prices are highly dependent on geography. The exact same XJ that could be had for $800 in New Jersey will sell for $4500 here in Nashville.

And we havent even gotten to options, condition, year, mileage....
Hmm... I noticed that too. I've seen some much lower in $$ but they're too far for me.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts
Year: 1987

Originally Posted by roninofako
Xj's in my area go for 6k all day long. Bad ones. With crap mods. Blue book is no help...as they list prices wildly lower than what people are asking.

Location severely affects price, and not in a good way here. What it boils down to is supply and demand.

Out here, vehicles are a status symbol. Stupid Kommiefornia. But, everyone who wants a Cherokee, wants it lifted by any means necessary (RC crap, and other questionable mods)...so they pay the price. Sad, really. Doesn't mean deals aren't out there, but any that pop up go FAST. Even the 2wd ones are overpriced and go quick...

Makes me glad I got mine in Colorado before I moved here for sure, haha
I picked my 99 up for $1100 less then a year ago. Searched for months. Its worth it to wait for the right one. It will pop up eventually.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:24 PM

Thanks. Good feedback.

The ones I'm looking at are the 91-99 range (minus 96).
I guess I don't mind shelling out $6k on a vehicle if it will last me 2-4 years without any major headache. I bought a used 1998 Grand Cherokee a few years back and it was pretty awful. It was a jeep that wasn't a jeep.

Well hopefully in a few weeks, I'll be updating my profile here with a nused XJ photo.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts
Year: 1987

Mine would have drove on for another 50k miles just fine in the condition I got it. It was just dirty inside out out. Imagine what 5k in upgrades/maintenance could get you. It was somewhat low miles too. 160k. No rust either. Like I said, just wait for the right one to come around. Eventually it will.
Old 07-28-2017, 01:03 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I hate to say it but how much can you get a wrangler around you ?