XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

4.5" RC lift do it youself or garage?

Old 01-27-2011, 01:58 PM
Cherokee Forum Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: V6 4L
Default 4.5" RC lift do it youself or garage?

Hey guys,

Summer is coming up in 3 months YEEEHAAA! and I saved enough money to be able to buy myself a lift, tires/wheels and some extras.

I'm looking to get the rough country 4.5" x-series kit http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_xj_4x.htm, but now after reading a couple threads and posts it seems like a lot of people are against buying RC products... Why is that? Any other options? I would like a good price and available to buy in canada(If not I would probably make a trip to the states to pick up)

Anyway I wanted to know is it possible for a basic handyman to install the lift himself? I would save around 500$-600$.

Tires:
32/11.5/15r Goodyear wranglers MT/R
http://www.goodyear.ca/goodyeartires...=Light%20Truck

How bad are these tires going to be on the street and highway. Also with stock gears?

Also if there is anything else you guys would recommend buying to start beginner/Intermediate trails please let me know. I appreciate the feedback!!!
Old 01-27-2011, 02:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Theres nothing wrong with RC products. If you want to buy in Canada PJF in Dorion has them but I've never had good experience with PJF.

Btw check out www.canadian-offroad.com

You can install it yourself, or ask someone on there for some help, I could even help if you'd like. Those tires are pretty good all around but are loud compared to stock tires.

I'd suggest tow points, which can also be covered on that website.

Last edited by OttawaXJ; 01-27-2011 at 02:07 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:05 PM

You can do it. It just takes a little time. Dont get in a rush and take shortcuts. Make sure you go have it aligned after you install it to. I have a R/C and like it. It's a little rough but I didnt buy a jeep for the ride quality either. It's a good price too. Thats just my two bits
Old 01-27-2011, 02:08 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

make sure you have a good variety of tools, just a socket set won't get it done. plan on stuff breaking too. How ever long you think its going to take times that by 3. It is very doable in a garage though.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: l6 4.0

Its easy to do!!! I have that same lift. Just follow directions and have air tools. Those tires will be fine with stock gears.

Heres my RC lift that alot people hate on...
Old 01-27-2011, 02:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: '92

Do it yourself, its pretty straight forward. I have done all mine in a driveway with basic tools. Besides, then you will have to pride of saying "Yup, I did that!"
Old 01-27-2011, 02:24 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Gatchmo5710
Its easy to do!!! I have that same lift. Just follow directions and have air tools. Those tires will be fine with stock gears.

Heres my RC lift that alot people hate on...
Which I can help you with if you'd like. I've got a portable compressor and the air tools required.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:12 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998

I have an rc lift, I love all their products. Do the lift ur self, make sure you take your time, I suggest start early in the morning, have a friend or 2 to help aswell. Start with the back as the uppr shock bolts are a pita. Spray evrthing for a few weeks before u start to loosen bolts will help reduce the chances of breaking something. took me about 13 hours to do my lift with some breaks in there and had some complications with the uppr shock bolts and I couldnt get my front axle to drop low enough to put tge springs in, I started to get frustrated but I took a break and then finally realized what I needed to do it went smoothly after that
Old 01-27-2011, 05:14 PM

Year: 1997

Do it yourself so you understand how your rig works a little bit better when you're done. Start on a Friday night and have a spare vehicle available for runs to the parts/tool stores. Post on the forum if you get stuck on something like rear shock bolts so people can offer advice that will save you time. Don't spend too long on any specific part before asking a question.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:18 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6

Yes, do it yourself. I did mine. I was lucky to have my dad home while I did mine. With him being a ex jeeper it helped having him watch over and help when I needed it.

Definately take your time!! You'll be fine.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:28 AM
Cherokee Forum Vendor

Originally Posted by OttawaXJ
Which I can help you with if you'd like. I've got a portable compressor and the air tools required.
Man Ottawa would you actually help me? I would compensate you for your time
Old 01-28-2011, 12:30 AM
Cherokee Forum Vendor

Originally Posted by alaskan
Do it yourself so you understand how your rig works a little bit better when you're done. Start on a Friday night and have a spare vehicle available for runs to the parts/tool stores. Post on the forum if you get stuck on something like rear shock bolts so people can offer advice that will save you time. Don't spend too long on any specific part before asking a question.
That's true if something breaks Ill know how to fix or replace it.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:31 AM
Cherokee Forum Vendor

Oh ya and what is your guys opinion on the drop bracket? Ye or nay?
Old 01-28-2011, 08:23 AM
CF Veteran

Drop bracket is excellent. And no problem, my dad lives in Beaconsfield so I'm up pretty often.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:31 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994

I did it my self in a few days. the hardest part was getting everything off due to seized and rusted bolts. Do your self a favor and buy a bunch of replacement through bolts and nuts for stuff like control arms and leafs. It makes assembly much easier and there is a good chance bushing sleeves will be seized to the bolt.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4.5" RC lift do it youself or garage?