Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

1995 Cherokee models confusion / aftermarket door lock actuators

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Question 1995 Cherokee models confusion / aftermarket door lock actuators

Hi everyone, I recently helped my friend pick up a 1995 Cherokee Laredo. It has a few minor problems that I'm looking to fix for her to make the car operate properly and reliably. I'll start off with trying to understand the model differences. The guy we bought it from said it was a Cherokee Lerado, not a Grand Cherokee? Is there a big difference? I pulled up her VIN on a vin decoder and it says Grand Cherokee. I'm not sure if the decoder is just generalizing or if there is an actual difference.

Here is the Vin number: 1J4GZ58S2SC661242

Here is a link to the decoder I used: http://www.vindecoder.net/?vin=1J4GZ...&submit=Decode

**What models and years have interchangeable parts with her Jeep?

Her current problems are that the driver side door key cylinder doesn't lock or unlock the door. The key turns left and right but the rods are either disconnected or missing. I haven't looked on the inside yet but the power locks do work on the drivers side. The passenger side power door lock actuator doesn't work but its key cylinder does. The makes for a very awkward walk around the car every time you want to lock or unlock the vehicle.

The easiest route to me to fix the passenger side would be to buy a new or used OEM door lock actuator for the passenger side which is why I'm trying to figure out model differences to see if I can get a used one. However buying used OEM is not my first choice due to reliability concerns and price so I'd prefer to buy a new aftermarket actuator instead. Price break down as follows:

New Aftermarket Door lock actuator: $8 amazon shipped
Used OEM door lock actuator: $35 + shipping car-part dot com
New OEM from dealer or other places: $100+

I've used universal door lock actuators in my truck and they were quite simple to hook up. Just drill a couple holes and make sure you have them wired up properly. Thing is my Ford ranger was super easy as it already had a set of aftermarket actuators installed when I bought it. I just had to make sure I had the two wires hooked up right and if it was mixed up it was a matter of switching them and I was done. In this case I was just replacing a faulty actuator on my passenger door.

**Does anyone know how a universal door lock actuator would wire up to this particular jeep?

My assumption is that the universal door lock actuators need ground on both sides, and when you are ready to unlock a positive pulse is sent to the wire of either the lock or unlock side of the actuator.

**Does the factory jeep have direct connections for these or will I need to use a pair of relays to set the proper polarities?

Normally I'd play around with the vehicle using a multimeter to figure this stuff out, but since it isn't my vehicle it isn't in my possession most of the time. I'd like to try and figure this all out before I start tearing into her vehicle to do this project since I will need to set a time and date when I am finally ready to begin. Not to mention I'll need to have all the correct parts ordered as well

Sorry for the long post guys, I really appreciate everyone taking the time to read this. Any feedback/responses are appreciated!

Last edited by turbobee; 09-06-2014 at 04:11 PM.
Old 09-07-2014, 09:05 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Welcome to the forum

There are 2 models, the XJ cherokee

and the ZJ grand cherokee

both were available with a laredo trim package
they will use completely different lock actuators

Last edited by timberwolf; 09-07-2014 at 09:17 PM.