Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.

Welding cart

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 07:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0
Default Welding cart

Well i need to make a cart to put my welder on. I plan on building it sometome shortly. Now my question is what do you guys like to have on a cart? Post up picks if you want.

My plans are somewhat ok. I plan on having 3 different levels, top (where the welder goes, middle, and the floor. the top and middle shelves will only be 15"x26" and the bottom piece will be 15x36 or 38. Not sure yet. I will also have a removable round handle that i can store on the cart as well so it wont take up much more room then the actual footprint of the cart. Then i will have a couple L hooks to wrap the lead and ground clamp on. As for wheels,i'm going to get some larger rubber wheels with greasable bearings so its not a challenge to pull that thihng.

Anything else i am missing? or could improve on?

Also mods if this isnt the right place feel free to move it
Old 10-20-2010, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6

Originally Posted by Tankerblade
Well i need to make a cart to put my welder on. I plan on building it sometome shortly. Now my question is what do you guys like to have on a cart? Post up picks if you want.

My plans are somewhat ok. I plan on having 3 different levels, top (where the welder goes, middle, and the floor. the top and middle shelves will only be 15"x26" and the bottom piece will be 15x36 or 38. Not sure yet. I will also have a removable round handle that i can store on the cart as well so it wont take up much more room then the actual footprint of the cart. Then i will have a couple L hooks to wrap the lead and ground clamp on. As for wheels,i'm going to get some larger rubber wheels with greasable bearings so its not a challenge to pull that thihng.

Anything else i am missing? or could improve on?

Also mods if this isnt the right place feel free to move it
make sure you have a big enough spot for your gas tank,
Old 10-20-2010, 11:31 PM

Heres the welder cart i fab'd up for my welders, the back shelf i usually keep my Miller stick welder on but, sense i usually only use the squirt gun so i put it away in my shop. Got plenty of room on the bottom shelf for a plasma cutter too.. which is my next purchase planned..

Last edited by Swamp Donkey; 10-20-2010 at 11:46 PM.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:38 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Swamp Donkey
Heres the welder cart i fab'd up for my welders, the back shelf i usually keep my Miller stick welder on but, sense i usually only use the squirt gun so i put it away in my shop. Got plenty of room on the bottom shelf for a plasma cutter too.. which is my next purchase planned..
see, now thats the one problem with owning a powermig 255. The ***** is so big she already has wheels and a platform for a gas bottle. I need a cart like that for when I do get a plasma, and as a place to keep all my pliers, screwdrivers and stuff off the garage floor.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:22 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993

I had one I built out of a shopping cart/my wire feed,torch tans, stick welder,hooks & a small basket
Old 10-23-2010, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by ZachsXJ
see, now thats the one problem with owning a powermig 255. The ***** is so big she already has wheels and a platform for a gas bottle. I need a cart like that for when I do get a plasma, and as a place to keep all my pliers, screwdrivers and stuff off the garage floor.
If thats the case, you could always build a cart similar to mine, cut all that stuff off of yours. Make the cart about half the height of mine tall, but still add a shelf on the back for the plasma and the bottom shelf would be for tools..
Old 10-23-2010, 01:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997

heres mine http://www.harborfreight.com/welding-cart-90305.html and i got it on sale for 30 bucks lol i couldnt beat it and its cheaper then just buying material to make my own
Old 10-23-2010, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by DEVILSTOY
heres mine http://www.harborfreight.com/welding-cart-90305.html and i got it on sale for 30 bucks lol i couldnt beat it and its cheaper then just buying material to make my own
Those are nice, if you're just gonna wheel em around on concrete. All my material came from work, stuff they were gonna throw away. So all the cost i got in mine is 2 wheel barrel wheels and 2 casters. I built mine so i could roll it around in the yard loaded down with everything with no problem.
Old 10-23-2010, 03:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997

Originally Posted by Swamp Donkey
Those are nice, if you're just gonna wheel em around on concrete. All my material came from work, stuff they were gonna throw away. So all the cost i got in mine is 2 wheel barrel wheels and 2 casters. I built mine so i could roll it around in the yard loaded down with everything with no problem.
gotcha , my welding cart dont do much offroading lol its good to wheel around the garage and out into the drive way
Old 10-23-2010, 06:07 PM

The Habor Freight carts are alot better then the Northern Tool carts. When i bought my Hobart, they came with a free cart, first thing i done was stripped it and used the sheet metal off of it lol.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:12 PM

i just made this last week when i baught my welder. it aint done yet. still got to but a bottom platform on. and on the right right were the pipes are comeing out is were my tank will go
Old 10-24-2010, 05:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 L 6 Renix
Default Weld Cart

Use the rolling base from an old BBQ, (the BBQ became my fire pit, complete with lid), anyway the base was solid, added some swivel casters, holds stick + mig + gas bottles + cables + helmet etc. Was going to dump the BBQ anyway, been good for 8 years, current mig is fresh. Works great on hard surfaces.
Attached Thumbnails Welding cart-img_1230.jpg   Welding cart-img_1231.jpg  
Old 10-25-2010, 10:09 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0, 6cyl

here is what i got plus the rest of my shop!!!
Old 10-25-2010, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by TerBeau

Thats a nice lookin shop bud, especially the ole silverado sittin there
Old 10-25-2010, 01:26 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2001

Originally Posted by TerBeau

Lucky B you have everything i want and then some! haha great lookin shop you have there.

Quick Reply: Welding cart