Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.

Tire Carrier, would this work?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8
Default Tire Carrier, would this work?

So I've been looking all over the place to see all different option about mounting a spare tire on the back of my 04 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I want something simple that doesn't take to much effort. I like the steel bumpers with the swing out arm that holds the spare tire but I'm not a big fan of the steel bumpers. I did see the tire carrier that some people have made that goes into your trailer hitch. The only thing I don't like about those is that the arm swings down and it's in your way when your trying to do anything in the rear of the Jeep. I saw someone post this drawing up and I think it's exactly what I'm looking for but I'm not sure if it will work.

Do you think it will or will not work? If not what can I do to improve this design to make it work?

Old 01-19-2011, 10:21 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by JSRichar5985
So I've been looking all over the place to see all different option about mounting a spare tire on the back of my 04 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I want something simple that doesn't take to much effort. I like the steel bumpers with the swing out arm that holds the spare tire but I'm not a big fan of the steel bumpers. I did see the tire carrier that some people have made that goes into your trailer hitch. The only thing I don't like about those is that the arm swings down and it's in your way when your trying to do anything in the rear of the Jeep. I saw someone post this drawing up and I think it's exactly what I'm looking for but I'm not sure if it will work.

Do you think it will or will not work? If not what can I do to improve this design to make it work?

Seems like a nice simple design but I would triangulate the bar coming up holding the spare to give it some more strength!
Old 01-19-2011, 10:30 AM

Year: 1996

if you dont want to do the full on bumper (i cant afford it. lol)

this is an option. Im starting on mine soon

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/h...r-done-570883/
Old 01-19-2011, 09:53 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

There are several companies that make these but the one's I've seen rattle and move around too much for my liking. Not sure how you'd get something not to move around some just using the 2" receiver.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:53 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97

tiregate.com found one of the mfgs.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:19 AM

Year: 1990

Originally Posted by xjmarc
There are several companies that make these but the one's I've seen rattle and move around too much for my liking. Not sure how you'd get something not to move around some just using the 2" receiver.
Use tube that fits. Same goes for the pin. And to someone who said you need to triangulate the upright bit where it holds your tire...
A properly welded piece of 2" tube of an acceptable wall thickness ain't going nowhere. Unless you got some damn big tires.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:27 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 93

I welded tube straight up on an old tire carrier of mine. It was 3/16 and welded three pass and guess what it wobbled. I added a brace and gues what it didnt wobble
Old 01-20-2011, 03:59 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 straight 6

i made one for my xj. it goes into the reciever and and swings out like a steel bumper advantage is its way lighter costs less and its easy bad thing is i wouldnt go above a 31 on it but it looks good
Old 01-20-2011, 04:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 H.O. 180K miles

Seems like a lot of leverage on that hitch if you've got a big spare...
Old 01-20-2011, 07:47 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 89

Originally Posted by desertdog
Use tube that fits. Same goes for the pin. And to someone who said you need to triangulate the upright bit where it holds your tire...
A properly welded piece of 2" tube of an acceptable wall thickness ain't going nowhere. Unless you got some damn big tires.
it wont today or next week but 5 years from now and 5k wheelin miles later it could plus if your going to a 31-35 its not a bad idea. it would be 4 cuts and about 5 ft more tube to triangulate it, just do it the first time so you dont have to worry later.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:44 PM

To the two folks convinced you must brace your upright....as far as I'm concerned, adding a triangle made of tube is gonna look real ugly. A couple of small sheet metal gussets on each side will end any and all wobbling. And you can find tube that fits in your reciever and doesn't move. A nice tight tube and hitch pin will make it rigid enough. And after 5000 miles the rest of your Jeep will be so loose the hitch will be the least of your concerns.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:14 PM

Year: 1987

Originally Posted by desertdog

You can also weld a threaded sleeve inside the tire carrier side of the hitch so when you slide it in the receiver you use a grade 8 bolt with a lock washer instead of a pin. This pulls the male end up against the inside of the receiver and has no play. My bike rack uses this and it works great with two 40 pound DH bikes hanging off of it.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by sczapiga
You can also weld a threaded sleeve inside the tire carrier side of the hitch so when you slide it in the receiver you use a grade 8 bolt with a lock washer instead of a pin. This pulls the male end up against the inside of the receiver and has no play. My bike rack uses this and it works great with two 40 pound DH bikes hanging off of it.
I like that idea