Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.

swing out tire carrier

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 01:29 AM

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default swing out tire carrier

To start this off i just want to let you all know that most of the material for this was scrap metal. There were a few things i bought new like the wheel studs and lug nuts to hold the spare on, and i bought a hinge kit from AtoZ Fab.

I started with tearing the old rear bumper off and planning where to cut to slide my supports inside the "frame".

i loosend the upper shackle bolts so i could slide the supports into the frame. using 2X3 tubing for the supports and cutting roughly 1/8" plates to fit arounf the 2X3 and bolt into the stock locations.

the main piece for the bumper is 2X4 steel that i 45degree'd the ends and plated them in.

figured out where i wanted the hinge to be, it swings from the passenger side so when on the side of the road its not swinging into traffic. cut the holes to weld the hinge post in (wrapping the threads with heavy tin foil so no slag gets in them), remember to unhook your battery before welding on your rig.

also wrapped the sleeze for the hinge before welding it.

the swing out piece is more 2X3 tubing along with the upright is 2X3. also testing where my latch will be.

now most of the carriers i see if they have a gas can, they only run one. well i wanted to be able to carry 2 cans since i only have about a 13 gallon tank so another 10 gallons almost doubles my range.

the front of the can cage i ran my uprights closer so i could mount my liscence plate to it.

now all i had to do was pack the bearings for the hinge, bolt the carrier on, weld the other piece of my latch on, paint, and mount and wire my plate and light (which came from a semi).

the tire is a little higher than i had hoped for but i can lower it down about 3"s, when i open the swing out with 2 full 5gal jerry cans and the spare it only drops about 1/16th of an inch (neighbors rustys swing out with 1 can drops about half an inch). apparently i need to take some pics of my latch and the the bumper with the gas cans in it.

well counting in the hinge, plate light, wheel studs, lugnuts, and scrap steel i spent about $100
Old 06-16-2009, 01:34 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee

sweet and thanks for redoing the tread for this section it will help some people see what goes into it
Old 06-16-2009, 01:37 AM
CF Veteran

oh and one more question. i got two cans as well if they are sealed are they ok for interior or no. i want to build a spot for them when i do my back rack. but if they must be kept out then i will add a rack to the bumper for them.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:42 AM

ive heard two different things legally about gas cans, one is that its illegal to have it outside of the vehicle due to wreck and explosions, and two its illegal to have a gas can in a sealed passenger compartment due to vapors.

personally i dont want my gas cans inside the cab with me.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:46 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by warrpath4x4
ive heard two different things legally about gas cans, one is that its illegal to have it outside of the vehicle due to wreck and explosions, and two its illegal to have a gas can in a sealed passenger compartment due to vapors.

that was my thinking as well but i will see if they are truly sealed if so they might be inside the back. that way they don't get stolen either. but when i build my bumper in a few weeks maybe i will make some sort of rear mount for them
Old 06-16-2009, 01:53 AM

ya i remove my cans when im not using them but my neighbor leaves his on all the time (just not full)
Old 06-16-2009, 09:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 481 Likes on 413 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

Originally Posted by a1racer
that was my thinking as well but i will see if they are truly sealed if so they might be inside the back. that way they don't get stolen either. but when i build my bumper in a few weeks maybe i will make some sort of rear mount for them
Use plastic cans, they will seal even on hot days.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 97
Engine: 4.7

Can't tell from the pics ... but are you supporting the underside of the arm (at the clasp end) ?

That's a lot of sideways stress on the spindle if you aren't giving it some extra support.

Joe
EndlessMtnFab
Old 06-20-2009, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by EndlessMtnFab
Can't tell from the pics ... but are you supporting the underside of the arm (at the clasp end) ?

That's a lot of sideways stress on the spindle if you aren't giving it some extra support.

Joe
EndlessMtnFab

if your talking about the latch side, theres nothing "under" it holding it up but the latch is tight. but i might look into a rubber bumper under it.
Old 06-20-2009, 06:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 97
Engine: 4.7

if your talking about the latch side, theres nothing "under" it holding it up but the latch is tight. but i might look into a rubber bumper under it.

Yes, that is what I'm referring to.

I usually like to suggest/use a piece of UHMWPE (cutting board material) under. Slides easily and lasts a long time.

Joe
EndlessMtnFab
Old 06-20-2009, 10:42 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I-6

McMaster-Carr has it the cheapest I could find, we needed some at work. . .
Old 06-22-2009, 09:29 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 93

if you can get your hands on them you can use the army issue "water cans" and just put gas in em just make sure you lable them so you can tell which one is gas and which is water
Old 12-16-2009, 02:41 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0l

How did u get the hinge and bracket stay 2gether?