Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.

Need help with homemade armor

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 04:28 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Need help with homemade armor

Hey guys, I'm flying to Kansas next week to visit my grandparents farm. They have a metal shop and I would really like to make some armor for my xj. I really want to make diff guard covers for my dana 30 and chry 8.25 and maybe some rock sliders.
Does anyone have any plans or templates I could use to build these?

here are some pics I found that look good enough to get the job done, I'm not worried about looks, just function.

I don't have any measurements or plans or templates for anything, and I can't bring my XJ with me so anything you guys have would be very helpful.
Thanks,
Dan
Old 08-21-2009, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

I wish I could help you out, that's a tough one without the jeep on location. Once I get my shop in order (I just moved and built a new building) I will be taking a stab at some DIY armor.....

If it turns out I will share with the class, until then I've got nothin'
Old 08-21-2009, 09:40 AM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 H/O I6

well the best thing to do i would think is to take measurements of your jeep, write them down and then design a plan around the measurements of the parts on the jeep, and then the steel youll be using. that way there you can draw up exactly what youre looking for and use the measurements on your jeep to fab it up. granted its always better to have the jeep to fit everything on before its permanent, but in your case you need to measure twice and cut once. good luck, hope this helps.
Old 08-22-2009, 05:36 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

Well it looks like I'm going to do a lot of measuring tomorrow. I already made up a cardboard template for my 8.25 diff guard while I was changing the oil in it today. IF it turns out all right I will post the template with measurements up here for everyone else.

If no one has plans or templates, can someone at least post some pics of their home-brewed armor for inspiration? I would love some ideas.
Thanks
Old 08-22-2009, 10:52 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

pull your diff covers off and take them with you. This way you have the exact part with you to make them fit the best.

for the sliders, it really is hard to make a good set without having the jeep there with you to hold stuff against and make sure everything is going to line up well. Maybe someone near thier farm has an XJ that you could use to make them on, then ship them back to your place when you are done.
Old 08-22-2009, 03:29 PM
Seasoned Member

Model: Wagoneer

well to help him (and myself in the same project haha) how should the rockers fit? some ive seen have been drilled into the side of the frame rails and some into the bottom, or maybe some idea for what grade and thickness to use...anything would help but without the xj on location i can see where you guys are coming from