Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.

Making my own armor

Old 09-21-2009, 12:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Thumbs down Making my own armor

First of all a little background. I bought this my 2 door xj for 100 bucks . It had over heating problem. The valve breather was broken and braised back on, it throws oil all over itself and "marks" its territory everywere I go, 2 holes in the rad and a little white smoke. Most of all rotted out rockers to the point of non existant and no floor lol. 5 speed 4x4 "part time??? wth is part time 4x4 why not full time???" with 187k on a 4.0 High output engine.

Recently I've started learning how to weld. I bought a lincoln handy mig and some flux core .35 wire. Also picking up a rough jeep I've decided after I get all my mechanical stuff done I'll be building my armor.

I do not have a lot of fab skills but I'm good with measurements and blueprints(A little bit), The look of sliders on a xj looks really nice(I only have a 2 inch lift currently, all i need imo) anyways. Could someone take a pic of how it bolts/welds on I'm very confused on were all its mounting points are. It may sounds dumb, but I've read in diff areas were to mount exactly. I would prefer to weld it on, because drilling my frame makes me uncomforable. Also anyone have a nice set of plans out there I could get a picture of how I would want this? More or less there for looks so they do not need to be that tuff. But when I do get a chance to ruff it up I will.

For the rest of the armor I found a post on here with a really cheap set of plates to sturdy my body up.

I will be welding in a new floor and a new set of rockers( Going to be using bed rails for the rockers, and old fridge steel for the floors)
Old 09-21-2009, 12:07 AM

Tbh any cheap way to build brush gaurd, under body armor would be great. I see a lot of write ups but no details.

Never really worked much on jeeps. The closest thing I've had was a 87 ranger. And I didn't have it long. Was expecting it to be easy to work inside the engine bay. Boy was I wrong. Everything is cluttered.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:00 AM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

sounds like fun , wish i had a welder, i wouldnt leave the house!!
Old 09-21-2009, 12:24 PM
Seasoned Member

Model: Wagoneer

whats the link to the post with the cheap frame stiffeners?
Old 09-21-2009, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by aircrewallan

I forget its somewere on these forums. They had a whole set of diy stuff. Practically weld it up and in. But if I can get away with it I'll be grabbing some scrap steel from a few places I know.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:01 PM

Year: 1999

4x4 part-time is a command trac transfercase, most likely you have an NP231 transfer case. the difference between full time and part time is; part-time has the option of 2wheel-hi, 4 wheel-hi, nuetral, and 4wheel-low, and is not to be driven on pavement or everyday driving unless you are in 2 wheel due to the lack of a perfect 50-50 spilt between the front and rear drivetrain. however the selec-trac fulltime 4wheel drive is used for everyday driving and allows some slippage in between the front and rear drivetrains so there is no binding in your drivetrain.

I hope this helps!!
Old 10-31-2009, 12:46 PM

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0L

I don't know about where you are, I go to the wrecking yards, and like St. Vincent De Paul stores to get used metal. I have gotten 2 full-size 4x4 bumpers. One I will cut up and use to build other things with. The other will go on my full-size truck. I have also picked up a couple of industial shelving stands, alot of good metal in that. I started to draw up plans for the rock sliders. I have 95% of the material with what I have already. Will keep you posted on the progress.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:11 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998

Originally Posted by aircrewallan
Is this it?

http://www.hdoffroadengineering.com/collections/all