Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.

Kelly4's Rear Bumper and Swingout Tire Carrier Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 04:24 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Default Kelly4's Rear Bumper and Swingout Tire Carrier Build

I started working on a rear bumper about a week ago. After building the front bumper in the Spring, I decided it was time to tackle the rear. Plus, I needed a good place to put a full size spare.

So, here's the build:

I have Bushwacker cut out fender flares, so I was unable to do a cut and fold rear bumper. Unfortunately, my rear lower quarters were also rusted out completely. So, I decided to have the rear bumper tie into the bushwackers, and I will cut off the rusty quarters as they won't be seen anyway.

This is 3/16" plate that was scored and then bent to match the body lines.

Kelly4's Rear Bumper and Swingout Tire Carrier Build-image-2174572099.jpg

Kelly4's Rear Bumper and Swingout Tire Carrier Build-image-1168500221.jpg

For the mounts, the bumper will tie into the eight original bumper bolts along with the hitch bolts.

Kelly4's Rear Bumper and Swingout Tire Carrier Build-image-2829912501.jpg

The main frame of the bumper is made out of a piece of 1/4" 4x4 angle iron. This was much easier and stronger than welding plates together (which is what I did for the front bumper).

Kelly4's Rear Bumper and Swingout Tire Carrier Build-image-854653462.jpg

After the mounts and side pieces were built, it was time to tack it all together. I capped off the ends and brought them up to the tail lights.

Kelly4's Rear Bumper and Swingout Tire Carrier Build-image-2611603712.jpg

Kelly4's Rear Bumper and Swingout Tire Carrier Build-image-895079767.jpg

Then I mig welded all of the exterior seams.

Kelly4's Rear Bumper and Swingout Tire Carrier Build-image-869671810.jpg

Kelly4's Rear Bumper and Swingout Tire Carrier Build-image-4273639468.jpg

And then I finished ground all of the mig welds.

Kelly4's Rear Bumper and Swingout Tire Carrier Build-image-1073240392.jpg

As of now, the main frame of the bumper is complete. I still need to add the unibody tie ins and fabricate the tire carrier. For the tire carrier, I ordered two 3/4" heim joints that will serve as a hinge. I've never been a fan of bulky spindles, and this seemed like the best and strongest option for me. The tire carrier itself will be made out of 2x3 and 2x2 tubing, and I still need to decide on how to latch/lock the swingout.
Attached Thumbnails Kelly4's Rear Bumper and Swingout Tire Carrier Build-image-2925855667.jpg   Kelly4's Rear Bumper and Swingout Tire Carrier Build-image-681553639.jpg  
Old 06-29-2014, 09:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: Inline 6 4.0L High Output

Looks good so far. I would cut out the square in between the 4 stock bumper bolts on each side and slide a piece of 2x4x3/16 in there and use the hitch bolts to act as a tie in. That is typically the most common thing to do. If not a piece of flat stock running down the bottom of the frame rail tied into the 2x4 you already have should be better than the 4 stock bolts on each side. I would certainly tie it in though. I have seen those nuts break off of that thin sheet metal rear crossmember and with the Michigan rust and a fullsize spare that will be a lot of weight to add plus the stress of ever towing or using it as a recovery point.

Any plans for D ring tabs or a hitch? I would take a hitch piece and cut out a square in the 4x4 at the top center and weld it to the top lip and the sides of the vertical piece to get rid of the bulky hitch hanging down.

I like these latches:
http://www.atozfabrication.com/store...cat=274&page=1

Or two holes with a 5/8 red cotter pin would work, I just prefer the threaded latch.

Good work and dedication for someone as young as you. Many people older than you wouldn't pay as much attention to detail as you do.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by 94XjSport94
Looks good so far. I would cut out the square in between the 4 stock bumper bolts on each side and slide a piece of 2x4x3/16 in there and use the hitch bolts to act as a tie in. That is typically the most common thing to do. If not a piece of flat stock running down the bottom of the frame rail tied into the 2x4 you already have should be better than the 4 stock bolts on each side. I would certainly tie it in though. I have seen those nuts break off of that thin sheet metal rear crossmember and with the Michigan rust and a fullsize spare that will be a lot of weight to add plus the stress of ever towing or using it as a recovery point. Any plans for D ring tabs or a hitch? I would take a hitch piece and cut out a square in the 4x4 at the top center and weld it to the top lip and the sides of the vertical piece to get rid of the bulky hitch hanging down. I like these latches: http://www.atozfabrication.com/store...cat=274&page=1 Or two holes with a 5/8 red cotter pin would work, I just prefer the threaded latch. Good work and dedication for someone as young as you. Many people older than you wouldn't pay as much attention to detail as you do.
First off, thank you!

I'm planning on running some flare stock or angle iron down the inside of the frame. Definitely would not trust just the stock bumper bolts.

As for D rings, I would like to add some, but I don't have the ability to drill a one inch hole with my current shop set up. I'll probably buy some pre fabbed ones and tie them directly into the mounts.

That latch does look pretty nice. Definitely secure, but my main concern would be how long it takes to open the swing out. I want something that is both secure and quick to access.

And as for the hitch, I think I'm going to keep my hitch on for now. I don't really like the idea of losing the ability to tow heavier loads. I might add a receiver on the bumper though, just in case I ever do decide to get rid of the hitch in the future.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:39 PM
Seasoned Member

My next challenge is deciding how to orient the tire itself. I like the idea of having it straight up and down, because it covers up less of the rear window.

Kelly4's Rear Bumper and Swingout Tire Carrier Build-image-2095768822.jpg

Kelly4's Rear Bumper and Swingout Tire Carrier Build-image-804391332.jpg

But, I also like the angled tire carriers because they match the angle of the hatch nicely. The downside is that it covers up a lot more of the window.

Kelly4's Rear Bumper and Swingout Tire Carrier Build-image-2171754752.jpg

Kelly4's Rear Bumper and Swingout Tire Carrier Build-image-3284062071.jpg

I'm pretty sure I want the tire to be on the drivers side. It seems like it would cause a massive blind spot if it were on the passenger side. Lots of decisions though, any thoughts?
Old 06-30-2014, 03:31 PM
CF Veteran

Looks: Angled
Usability: Straight

Anything bigger than a 31 starts to get heavy, especially once it is above your waist and having to wrestle it onto some lugs isnt fun.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:26 AM
Seasoned Member

That's exactly what I was thinking, so I decided to make it straight. Here's the start of the frame for the carrier.

Kelly4's Rear Bumper and Swingout Tire Carrier Build-image-3954271863.jpg

I also received my heim joints in the mail. Very impressed with the quality

Kelly4's Rear Bumper and Swingout Tire Carrier Build-image-254750741.jpg

I made up some nut strips too and added them on for support on the frame rails

Kelly4's Rear Bumper and Swingout Tire Carrier Build-image-622754212.jpg

And this is how the heim joints will attach to the carrier. Two 3/4-16 nuts welded on the inside of the carrier tube. There will be jam nuts on the outside to lock them in place. I like this method because it is fairly adjustable, which is nice.

Kelly4's Rear Bumper and Swingout Tire Carrier Build-image-3642498271.jpg

Kelly4's Rear Bumper and Swingout Tire Carrier Build-image-2453897450.jpg

Kelly4's Rear Bumper and Swingout Tire Carrier Build-image-718084087.jpg

I made up a bracket for the carrier yesterday as well. That should be mounted up today. I'm still trying to find a suitable method for latching the swing out, and I'm also trying to decide what to use for the lugs that the tire mounts to. I've seen people use plates directly from other jeeps and I've also seen homemade ones, so I'll probably go with whatever is cost effective.
Attached Thumbnails Kelly4's Rear Bumper and Swingout Tire Carrier Build-image-2909174870.jpg  
Old 07-02-2014, 08:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

old wheel hub.. take it apart and weld the front piece to your frame.

or weld the assembled hub to your frame and have a free spinning spare. would be funny
Old 07-02-2014, 09:23 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 straight six

Originally Posted by uber
old wheel hub.. take it apart and weld the front piece to your frame. or weld the assembled hub to your frame and have a free spinning spare. would be funny
My buddy welded an old wheel bearing to his roof rack and if he hit the wind right it would spin and look hilarious going down the road
Old 07-04-2014, 04:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: 4.0 I6

Looks good. I've never been a fan of heims used in that fashion, but thats me.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:48 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

I like the pull type clamps you can get them from McMaster Carr there adjustable and quick release nice job on the bumper
Old 07-05-2014, 04:11 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6

kelly4,

Bumper looks good so far. Keep up the good work. Keeping an eye on this one to see how it turns out. I need to build one for myself. Currently running around with no spare....
Old 07-06-2014, 03:38 PM
Seasoned Member

Thanks everyone! I decided to order a plate with predrilled holes for the mount. I also picked up some 1 inch thick D ring tabs. As for the latch, right now I'm thinking about going with a Destaco pull latch. I've heard some pretty good things about them. Here's some more progress: I'm probably going to reinforce this a little, but it's very sturdy as it is. Kelly4's Rear Bumper and Swingout Tire Carrier Build-image-4188127274.jpg Kelly4's Rear Bumper and Swingout Tire Carrier Build-image-3896361849.jpg Kelly4's Rear Bumper and Swingout Tire Carrier Build-image-3537804511.jpg I'll be taking a bit of a break on fabricating for the next week and a half as I'll be out of state. Should be fairly simple to get everything together once I get back though.

Last edited by kelly4; 07-06-2014 at 05:13 PM.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:23 PM
CF Veteran

The carrier is on the wrong side lol. It will open into traffic or into a trail if you pull off on the right side like everyone else. Other than that, carry on. Looks good.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:32 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by 94XjSport94
The carrier is on the wrong side lol. It will open into traffic or into a trail if you pull off on the right side like everyone else. Other than that, carry on. Looks good.
Yeah I'm really not concerned about that. I put it on the left because it creates a huge blind spot when it's on the right that seemed to be more noticeable than when it's on the left
Old 07-07-2014, 04:38 PM
CF Veteran

Right, but all the other carriers have the hinge on the other side.

That is how my friends older JCR one is.

Quick Reply: Kelly4's Rear Bumper and Swingout Tire Carrier Build