Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.

Hood vents installed

Old 04-10-2010, 11:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Hood vents installed

Got the idea for the style from MrJCRod (great innovation by the way). I do apologize for copying the style but it definitely looks better than any other set up I've seen IMO. Just followed the diagram he provided, cut out the holes (it was a nervous first cut), put door trim along the edging, cut the mesh to size, and then used Permatex "The Right Stuff" gasket maker to seal 'em to the underside of the hood.
Attached Images     
Old 04-10-2010, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

How does your engine like all the extra water when it rains? I want to do something like that but I like to keep my **** dry.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:45 AM
CF Veteran

I haven't had any issues. The openings are positioned so it all falls on either side, not actaullyl hitting the engine. Even if it did, a sealed cap and rotor keep anything from happening.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:54 AM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 I6

looks good, 2 thumbs up!
Old 04-10-2010, 11:56 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Thanx ill look into it. I need to replace my C&R and wires bad anyway.
Do you suggest any. I was planning on just ordering a set from summit racing.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:06 PM
CF Veteran

I'm using Accel for my cap, rotor, and plug wires and haven't had any issues at all.

Last edited by no rdplz; 04-10-2010 at 12:09 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:55 PM

Those look really nice!

I have always wondered about the rain issue, myself. Yes, I know that 'technically' there should be no issues, but it's still a bit scary for me. I'm sure I will do the mod in the future, but for now, I just enjoy my full hood lol.

I have even considered raising the thing up with a couple washers at the back, as some do. I think it looks like hell, but it might just do the trick.
Old 04-10-2010, 02:29 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 High Output

how do you like the navigator halogen lights? I've got a set on my roof rack and I had to solder the terminals to the back of the bulb cuz mine kept losing connection over bumps and rough road. they looked like a set of strobe lights going down a gravel road to my fav. fishing hole
Old 04-10-2010, 06:17 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996 Limited
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

Originally Posted by Skwerly
Those look really nice!

I have always wondered about the rain issue, myself. Yes, I know that 'technically' there should be no issues, but it's still a bit scary for me. I'm sure I will do the mod in the future, but for now, I just enjoy my full hood lol.

I have even considered raising the thing up with a couple washers at the back, as some do. I think it looks like hell, but it might just do the trick.
Dont raise up the back with washers or anything. It makes it unsafe due to if you get in a wreck it will have nothing to push up against and there for throw your hood into your window. Plus it throws off your body lines and doesnt look good. lol I would just do vents or a cowl hood or make a cowl for your hood.
To the OP I like them I have been look at the other thread for a few weeks and am ganna do it here real soon. lol
Old 04-10-2010, 06:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 92
Engine: 4.0

i hope all you guys who are letting water drip around your engine are using di-electric grease on all your connectors.

its not the shorting out you really need to worry about, its the corrosion from all the moisture that WILL happen if you dont protect your electrical connections.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:42 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996 Limited
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

Originally Posted by N20jeep
i hope all you guys who are letting water drip around your engine are using di-electric grease on all your connectors.

its not the shorting out you really need to worry about, its the corrosion from all the moisture that WILL happen if you dont protect your electrical connections.
I agree to a point. Its not like your engine bay is air and water tight. If you live were it rains all the time its still ganna be a problem.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:32 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: I6

can you post the link to the diagram i cant see it that good and would like to read the whole write up on it
Old 04-10-2010, 08:01 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by N20jeep

Everybody I know who has an XJ and actually uses it puts di-electric on the connections anyway - whether they have vents or not. It's just a smart thing to do if you're going off road.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:02 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by itsajeepthang
can you post the link to the diagram i cant see it that good and would like to read the whole write up on it
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f58/hood-vent-28184/

The "full" write up is on page 2

Thanks for all the compliments to everyone!
Old 04-10-2010, 08:08 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by rdeskater
how do you like the navigator halogen lights? I've got a set on my roof rack and I had to solder the terminals to the back of the bulb cuz mine kept losing connection over bumps and rough road. they looked like a set of strobe lights going down a gravel road to my fav. fishing hole
I really like 'em. The only thing I don't like about 'em is the crappy mounting bracket and bolts they provide, but i guess it's to be expected when you're only paying $30 a pair. I haven't had any issues with my wiring but I constantly have to adjust the angle of the front lights. I think a better set of brackets and a hex bolt with a nut and washers will take care of it though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hood vents installed