Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.

CB radio visor mount and antenna mount

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default CB radio visor mount and antenna mount

Hello all. I was just curious to get a response from you all. I was thinking about making CB mounts for the late model XJ and trying to sell them. They mount between the two screws on the visors. Right above the rear view mirror. I looked allover and could not find any kind of mounts for the antenna or cb for the XJ. I know a lot of people don't have the means to make their own mounts in their garage.And there really isn't a good spot to mount the radio without it being in the way. Anyways, here are a few pictures. They are my first attempt at this so the next ones will be better looking. I will also be putting a rubberized coating on them so they are not so bare and plain looking. Thanks for any feedback ahead of time.

Name:  e1b00b12.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  50.6 KB
Name:  ac283275.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  54.4 KB
Old 05-04-2012, 09:30 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Have you done any highway driving with that antenna mount? It looks thin. I had one that looked similar to that, and with a 4 foot whip at 75mph, it bent over and backwards and I had to drive like that for 45 minutes.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by brendancfarrell
Have you done any highway driving with that antenna mount? It looks thin. I had one that looked similar to that, and with a 4 foot whip at 75mph, it bent over and backwards and I had to drive like that for 45 minutes.
I have actually, its made from aluminum right now but I plan on making the next out of steel. Seems ok at highway speeds. I been watching it in the mirror and haven't had any issues yet. Its about 3 weeks old so far. But still I think steel is better. I just had a piece of scrap aluminum laying around.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:43 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990
Engine: Inline Six

I went through a big delema when I put my cb in. The only thing I have to say is the placement of your radio, personally I find it annoying to have it up there. I tried it and found the coiled wire coming from the mic to the radio would fly all around when I would be offroading. So I ended up putting a quick disconnecting mount for the radio on the passenger side of the firewall close to the seat facing up. I have screws going through this mount going through the carpet and into threaded rivits which are pressed into the firewall. Then I took the mic and ran it to the closest corner of the center vent (so lower passenger side) and am putting in a mount for the mic at that location. So far its been a great place to put it. Out of my way and doesnt really effect the passenger. Also something Ive just picked up from a CB enthusiast is that you want your antenna as close as you can to the center of your car. Ive placed mine right infront of the windsheild on the drivers side through a means of a bracket and using existing body screws to mount it in place. I was planning on putting it on the back, but then he procceeded to tell me if I did so, then it would make the antenna directional unless I got two. Just some food for thought.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:23 PM

They make mic cables that are wrapped in flexible metal and have no coil. They tend to hang a little nicer than the coiled ones. You can order them online at several places and put them in yourself if you can solder, otherwise there are radio shops that will do it for you for a small price.

http://www.hyelectronics.com/Overdri...ductinfo/MMC4/

Last edited by Torkrench; 05-05-2012 at 07:26 PM.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Nakedginger
I went through a big delema when I put my cb in. The only thing I have to say is the placement of your radio, personally I find it annoying to have it up there. I tried it and found the coiled wire coming from the mic to the radio would fly all around when I would be offroading. So I ended up putting a quick disconnecting mount for the radio on the passenger side of the firewall close to the seat facing up. I have screws going through this mount going through the carpet and into threaded rivits which are pressed into the firewall. Then I took the mic and ran it to the closest corner of the center vent (so lower passenger side) and am putting in a mount for the mic at that location. So far its been a great place to put it. Out of my way and doesnt really effect the passenger. Also something Ive just picked up from a CB enthusiast is that you want your antenna as close as you can to the center of your car. Ive placed mine right infront of the windsheild on the drivers side through a means of a bracket and using existing body screws to mount it in place. I was planning on putting it on the back, but then he procceeded to tell me if I did so, then it would make the antenna directional unless I got two. Just some food for thought.
Thanks for the advice! Im not too worried about my set up only because I only use it when I am off road to talk to whoever is with me. Im not worried about range or anything like that. Its just plain and simple, made it with scrap parts around the garage. lol
Old 05-05-2012, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Torkrench
They make mic cables that are wrapped in flexible metal and have no coil. They tend to hang a little nicer than the coiled ones. You can order them online at several places and put them in yourself if you can solder, otherwise there are radio shops that will do it for you for a small price.

http://www.hyelectronics.com/Overdri...ductinfo/MMC4/
Thanks! I will check that out!
Old 05-05-2012, 08:26 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.6 stroker

put my cb in that exact spot, mic cord hsnt effected me at all and the cb is out of the way
Old 05-06-2012, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by EVILXJ
put my cb in that exact spot, mic cord hsnt effected me at all and the cb is out of the way
Yup, no issues here either. Lol
Old 05-06-2012, 11:02 AM

Year: 1989

That's a pretty cool idea
Old 05-06-2012, 11:56 AM

I was thinking about selling both brackets for $20. Does this seem like a good price to you guys?
Old 05-06-2012, 12:26 PM

Real nice idea. Iv'e seen full width "shelves like the one I had in my FJ-40 years ago that had prevision for CB. Only pronlem I see is that in some states, like the Peoples Republic of Illinois, it's not legal to have anything blocking the mirror. My daughter got a ticket for have a set of rosary beads anda photo ID hanging from the mirror and it wasn't even in the way. Cool place for one though
Old 05-06-2012, 12:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by dirt_biker_guy
I was thinking about selling both brackets for $20. Does this seem like a good price to you guys?
Hell No! I think that is way too much. You should send me a bracket for the radio and one for the antenna free of charge. So, I can check them out and let you know how much they should go for. LOL
Old 05-06-2012, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by DMcPher316
Real nice idea. Iv'e seen full width "shelves like the one I had in my FJ-40 years ago that had prevision for CB. Only pronlem I see is that in some states, like the Peoples Republic of Illinois, it's not legal to have anything blocking the mirror. My daughter got a ticket for have a set of rosary beads anda photo ID hanging from the mirror and it wasn't even in the way. Cool place for one though
A shelf would be a cool thing to have. But yeah, its also illegal here in California to have things hanging from the mirror. Obstruction of drivers view or whatever they call it. Now I can see if you have a bunch of crap that's really blocking your view, like some of the girls I see driving around with all sorts of stuff hanging. But the cord for the radio doesn't bother me one but.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by RTorrez1
Hell No! I think that is way too much. You should send me a bracket for the radio and one for the antenna free of charge. So, I can check them out and let you know how much they should go for. LOL
Hahaha Sure man I will get right on that! Dont worry about shipping either, I got that too! hahaha

Quick Reply: CB radio visor mount and antenna mount