Other Vehicles. Other Jeep models & cars and trucks of other makes Talk any vehicle tech in here other than Cherokees.

XJ Lovers: You've got to read this true story.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4 Liter
Default XJ Lovers: You've got to read this true story.

Even though you closed my KL Cherokee thread, you'll love this!

Salesman called me and tells me they just got a TrailHawk in he wanted me to see.

It's the first one the dealership had gotten and he thought it would be just the one I'd want.

I told him I'd meet him in front of the deanship a such and such of time and did he remember the rather careworn 1989 faded blue XJ I drive.

He assured me he remembered my ride and he wanted some of the other salesmen to see my face when I saw his Bright Red beauty for the first time.

I told him fine, bring who he wanted.

I drove up in my XJ 200,000 mile, K&N cold air kit, free flow catalytic ,Gibson cat back exhaust, and 2 inch lift, 30.5 X 15 BFGoodrich TA tires. (no, still 30 Grand of rubber left.)

There were 5 salesmen out front. I pulled up and left the XJ running, rolled down all the windows, and promised them I'd pay for any damage I might do.

I locked up the brakes, left her in drive, floored the gas and left it that way for about 25-30 seconds.

When they stopped coughing and found someplace to stand out of the tire smoke I ask them.

Can the Bright Red KL Cherokee do that?

All but one just walked away shaking his head.

He insisted I prove to him that it really was an AMC 4.0L
under the hood.

True story, did it today, ya should have been there!

Gloat away and throw all the "I told you so you want."
I'll love every one of them.

P.S. NO, the KL V6 would hardly chirp the tires.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by hyper.hip
Even though you closed my KL Cherokee thread, you'll love this!

Salesman called me and tells me they just got a TrailHawk in he wanted me to see.

It's the first one the dealership had gotten and he thought it would be just the one I'd want.

I told him I'd meet him in front of the deanship a such and such of time and did he remember the rather careworn 1989 faded blue XJ I drive.

He assured me he remembered my ride and he wanted some of the other salesmen to see my face when I saw his Bright Red beauty for the first time.

I told him fine, bring who he wanted.

I drove up in my XJ 200,000 mile, K&N cold air kit, free flow catalytic ,Gibson cat back exhaust, and 2 inch lift, 30.5 X 15 BFGoodrich TA tires. (no, still 30 Grand of rubber left.)

There were 5 salesmen out front. I pulled up and left the XJ running, rolled down all the windows, and promised them I'd pay for any damage I might do.

I locked up the brakes, left her in drive, floored the gas and left it that way for about 25-30 seconds.

When they stopped coughing and found someplace to stand out of the tire smoke I ask them.

Can the Bright Red KL Cherokee do that?

All but one just walked away shaking his head.

He insisted I prove to him that it really was an AMC 4.0L
under the hood.

True story, did it today, ya should have been there!

Gloat away and throw all the "I told you so you want."
I'll love every one of them.

P.S. NO, the KL V6 would hardly chirp the tires.
Good to see you, your original thread was closed due to idiots and not yourself.

Gonna give you the ol' CF saying "Pics or it didn't happen!" lol

Glad to see ya sticking to your XJ
Old 12-13-2013, 07:48 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0, bbk 62mm throttle body

Riveting tale chap.
Old 12-14-2013, 01:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 I6 firepower ignition, cat-back w/ magnaflow muffler, poweraid tb spacer, optima blue top

Nice! Those things cant compare to the good ol XJ!
Old 12-14-2013, 01:29 PM

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0

with emission laws today there's nothing that will ever be like an xj again.... period... just like the early '70's when emission laws started doing away with muscle cars..... slowly but surely they killed it for everyone...

I would buy a JK over any offering Jeep has out there, period... to me I think its the closest thing to an XJ, and even more importantly to my liking.... other then that it would be a GC for me.. I wouldn't for a minute consider anything else Jeep has to offer, its these two or nothing...

that withstanding, my XJ is somewhat a project right now and its paid for and will be like new when I'm done with it.... I should have around 5K into the mess when all is said and done, sure beats a payment no doubt and more importantly I can work on it myself even if that means pulling and rebuilding the motor or anything else for that matter, I think with my skillset I may be a little more hesitant pulling and rebuilding a JK motor than again you'd think it wouldn't need that for at least 10yrs...

I am considering a JK down the road (4 dr of course), time will tell...

Last edited by DieselDaze; 12-14-2013 at 01:43 PM.
Old 12-14-2013, 01:34 PM

Year: 1992

Your a good man
Old 12-14-2013, 04:38 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4 Liter
Default To Jake and all....

I'm glad you liked the little story, I will have a hidden camera somewhere if I ever do it again!

In fact, try it yourself! It's more fun than sliding down butter mountain naked!

Jake, thanks for the reassurance it was the bickering a$$hats and not that I said poo instead of boo that got the other thread killed.

Sorry to disappoint you Jake, I'm still a bit of a birdbrain and may still add a KL-TH but not to the exclusion of my XJ.

Jake and others, I still have an issue with my XJ that I need some advice on.

If you draw a line between OKC, OK & Albuquerque, NM along I-40, slap dab between the two cities you'll find Amarillo, Tx. I drive from one side of the city to the other 10-12 times a day and there is TRAFFIC. Mostly the 18 wheel kind that are really busy getting from one side of the nation to the other. They have little patience for a little faded blue XJ stuck between them.

As interstates go, it's a pretty smooth slab of concrete. But there are small thuds and bumps along the way that just drive me and my XJ to heart attack country. In fact my Depends & air freshener bills and getting out of hand.

I'm talking sudden DEATH WOBBLE!

I think I've read the forum pretty closely and have found "cures" that range between "magic crystals" hung from the rear view mirror to "$1000 kits that take 3 months & a PHD" to install, all "guaranteed" to fix the problem. Most seem to have a faint reek of "feed yard" to them. (you have to live in cow or hog feeding country to understand that reference)

I've got maybe a three day weekend, no extra car to run to the parts house for "one more thing" and I've got to be on the road by Monday morning ready to go.

I'm cheep, rather do it myself, and most days know that a hammer is for nails and that a screwdriver is for nails with little groves along the side.

I have yet to find an front end shop that the 20-something tech tells you, "There's just not much you can do to a Jeep without spending $1000 and hours of time and the whole car is not worth that much" or "you need a 4 wheel adjustment."

Sounds like hog wash to me.

Suggestions please or at least point me in the correct direction.

Thanks,
Old 12-16-2013, 01:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The reason the kl will just bark the tires is most newer cars have traction control,Even if you turn it off it will still kick right back on.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:52 AM

Year: 1998

Ok dealership tales:

When my daughter was born ( in vail,co. ) the starter on my ( whatever year xj ) had gone out, bout 3 days before. Well we live in summit ( bout 30 mile away from vail ) and I drove her car to the hospital. I had already bought the starter, but with my wife was going to go into labor at any moment. I just didn't get the 3 bolt and a plug job done
Well my father in law ( deak ) had my xj towed to the dealership, and had them replace the starter. So that we had a 4x4 to take her home in. So I was like o.k. .??
The bill was $430 ish. I was like WTF. The D-bag told me it cost so much cause the part supplied was the wrong part and that they had to order another one -- BLAW lie BLAW lie
About the time I'm going to take this fool for a ride on the pain train, a salesmen walks up to me a starts telling me it's time for a new ( off the used lot ) jeep. It was a nice green 2000xj sport. So I thought ok I'll play along. Took a test drive. There was fresh snow ontop of packed ice. That xj was sideways for most of the test drive, scared the crap out of the salesmen came ripping back into the dealership ( right to the service dept. ) threw it in park. Went in side grabbed my keys, fired up my xj and drove away.
Ohhhh forgot I was working at a Chevy dealership up the road ( where I had ordered my starter threw of course ) and had my service manger handle the liars down the road.
Never paid a cent!!!!!!!!!

Not trying to hi-jack

And go on ya for o.g. Xj pride
Old 12-21-2013, 02:59 PM

Really enjoyed your story a lot. Thats a good way of selling. Real aggressive.