Other Vehicles. Other Jeep models & cars and trucks of other makes Talk any vehicle tech in here other than Cherokees.

Who here also has a KJ/Liberty?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 01:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: yes
Default Who here also has a KJ/Liberty?

I'm interested in finding out how the Liberty is in comparison to the XJ for mild offroad use.....I have both, but would die an ugly death if I even considered taking his Jeep off roading, so was looking into trading the XJ for a Liberty......it'll be a Diesel Liberty like the one we already have (only mine would be better of course)! LOL.....cause it'll get real dirty! but would like to find out first if it's even comparible in abilities.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: l6 4.0, K&N FIPK & 62mm bored TB

Even tho I'm partial to the XJ, the KJ is comparable for mild trail riding. But why trade the XJ? Why not just take it trail riding?
Old 05-28-2011, 01:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 88
Engine: 4.0 HO

I don't like the liberty's power drive. Every one I've driven just doe's not seem to have the umpf to get you moving like the 4.0 and yet mpg seems the same.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:24 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by JeepingDan
I don't like the liberty's power drive. Every one I've driven just doe's not seem to have the umpf to get you moving like the 4.0 and yet mpg seems the same.

the one we have is a CRD and will easily go 400 miles on half a tank....mileage is fantastic and it goes like a rocket, the torque is unreal.....I've heard the reagular gas powered ones are gas hogs and sluggish, but from experience the diesel is amazing.......it doesn't seem to do quite as well in the snow, but still does very well....our Liberty is actually larger then my XJ, but has better ground clearance sitting stock which I like especially since I'm so short. The only reason I would consider the trade is for the huge difference in gas mileage and since we are set up for WVO I could get my fuel for about .50 cents a gallon instead of $4.00 a gallon.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:29 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by _StationWagon_
Even tho I'm partial to the XJ, the KJ is comparable for mild trail riding. But why trade the XJ? Why not just take it trail riding?

I do take my XJ out and about, but the diesel CRD gets better mileage by far......since I'm doing photography I do alot of driving in out of the way places.....mud/dirt/gravel......some are very mild while others are kinda questionable to say the least......our Liberty will go 3 times as far on a tank then my XJ, but if I bring it home dirty he would freak out so I'd have to have my own.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 L

Two factors to think about with the KJ. 1. If it is a diesel, it probably weighs more than the XJ. Snow would be an issue for you in it. 2. (Might be wrong on this) but doesn't the KJ have IFS? If it does, then your losing flex by switching to the KJ rather than XJ.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:54 PM
CF Veteran

I get the distinct feeling you prefer the KJ. I also think you already know what you're going to do/want to do & this is a troll post. You absolutely rave about mileage - 800 miles on a tank, 3 times as good as the XJ ... wonderful. Most of us suck it up & keep our XJ anyway. I get 12 on a very good day & the thought of trading it for something more fuel efficient has never crossed my mind. Ever. I'm not sure what your dilemma is. If mileage is that important to you, I can't see trading that for the ability to spend 3 times as much on fuel and not even wheeling for the sake of wheeling ... no matter what strangers on the internet might say. From what you say, your wheeling is a means to an end.

Trade the XJ so someone who really appreciates it can have it & go buy another KJ. In my mind, an XJ that gets 230 mp tank is worth more than 2 KJs that get 800. Happy deiseling.

Last edited by _StationWagon_; 05-29-2011 at 01:56 PM.
Old 05-29-2011, 03:37 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L IL 6

I get the distinct feeling you prefer the KJ. I also think you already know what you're going to do/want to do & this is a troll post. You absolutely rave about mileage - 800 miles on a tank, 3 times as good as the XJ ... wonderful. Most of us suck it up & keep our XJ anyway. I get 12 on a very good day & the thought of trading it for something more fuel efficient has never crossed my mind. Ever. I'm not sure what your dilemma is. If mileage is that important to you, I can't see trading that for the ability to spend 3 times as much on fuel and not even wheeling for the sake of wheeling ... no matter what strangers on the internet might say. From what you say, your wheeling is a means to an end.

Trade the XJ so someone who really appreciates it can have it & go buy another KJ. In my mind, an XJ that gets 230 mp tank is worth more than 2 KJs that get 800. Happy deiseling.

Well put! X2
Old 05-30-2011, 04:29 AM
Registered Users

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 I6

Diesel Good.. IFS Bad (for what most of us wheel).. If the gas millage out weighs the loss in offroad capabillity to you then go with the KJ.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

.. where does the key go to wind them up ...lol...
Old 05-30-2011, 06:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

One word about Liberty IFS:

They suck and I hate regearing them unless the owner brings a me an expensive aftermarket cast steel housing cuz the stock aluminum ones are weak and tend to explode killing a bunch od nuns and orphans in the process.....

Okay, so that's like... I dunno...11 words or sumthin...

If you want a Liberty that's a capable as an XJ off road....SAS!! Local guy did one..LINKY!!
Old 05-30-2011, 11:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

You know the gym I lift at has a seperate room for the ladies to work out in if they so desire , And that brings me to LIBBY questions...should not there be a place where woman can go to ask other Women questions about their Libbys if they so desire ?
Old 05-31-2011, 12:47 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 1tonxj
You know the gym I lift at has a seperate room for the ladies to work out in if they so desire , And that brings me to LIBBY questions...should not there be a place where woman can go to ask other Women questions about their Libbys if they so desire ?
Should not there be a place where non-spelling non-punctuating people go if they have questions about grammar if they so desire?

You get my drift? The "woman" reference is a bit sexist, don't you think? Regardless, it offends me. I might not like the Libby, but it's pure model bias on my side. Personal attacks are distasteful and sexist ones are even less welcome than Libby questions.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:06 PM

Year: 2000

Should not there be a place where non-spelling non-punctuating people go if they have questions about grammar if they so desire?

You get my drift? The "woman" reference is a bit sexist, don't you think? Regardless, it offends me. I might not like the Libby, but it's pure model bias on my side. Personal attacks are distasteful and sexist ones are even less welcome than Libby questions.
Very well put, thank you
Old 05-31-2011, 02:30 PM

That SAS KJ is sexy.....I would rock that anyday

Quick Reply: Who here also has a KJ/Liberty?