Other Vehicles. Other Jeep models & cars and trucks of other makes Talk any vehicle tech in here other than Cherokees.

trying to help a marine with a yj

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 01:01 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default trying to help a marine with a yj

Ok a friend of mine has a 92 yj 4.0 and says it wont start without holding the pedal to the floor, then when it does start it puffs out black smoke, idles and as soon as he hits the gas it dies again. He has replaced the iac, tps, and plugs wires all that good stuff. I asked him a few questions and this is what i got. It is showing a code for tps but he replaced it, oil smells like gas bad, fuel pressure regulator isnt moist but he is going to replace it shortly. Im hoping this is the problem. But i thought i would get some ideas from you guys just incase. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO

mine had a similar no start issue.. i tested the fuel pressure and had 35 psi with the key on. as soon as i tried to turn it over, which it would turn over just fine, the fuel pressure dropped off. i tested the battery and with a load on the battery found out it was shot. i replaced the battery and also put new cable ends on at the same time and starts right up perfect and actually idles better too. may or may not be your problem but sounds similar to mine and its free to test and free is good