Other Vehicles. Other Jeep models & cars and trucks of other makes Talk any vehicle tech in here other than Cherokees.

Questions about a vw TDI

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 06:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L 242ci I6
Default Questions about a vw TDI

I'm lookin to get a 1999.5-2003 Jetta TDI (only years in my price range). My 11-13mpg in the Jeep is just too much anymore, and the 45mpg of the TDI is very tempting. My questions are:

-What common/major problems do they have?
-How expensive is the maintenance? (keep in mind, I do all the work on my jeep)
-What things should I know about or look for?
-What mpg do people normally get? (I drive mostly city/suburbs/rural)
-How is the performance? Are they relatively easy to mod? (not NASCAR, but fun performance)
-Can I make it roll coal easy?
-How reliable are they?
-Is it worth it?

I'll most likely have more questions, these are just off the top of my head. I'm trying to find one with less than 200k for about $5k, but they aren't too common. Any help on this would be really appreciated!
Old 02-25-2013, 07:32 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: I6

Well, I was just looking for one in that age range also (that's the best year to get, easiest to tune and most reliable). Get the manual tranny and expect closer to 50 mpg if you can keep your right foot under control. If you do the EGR and muffler delete and get it tuned, it might make enough power that the engine torque could overcome the clutch, so that might need upgraded depending on the power level you go for. If you do the EGR delete, expect to pull the intake and give it a good cleaning, they get sooted up. Other than that stuff, they're awesome. The fuel pump might be the biggest problem after that, but they're usually good for 150,000 mi or more from what i've heard.

I'd say go for it if you can find a good deal on one, I know i would have but people in my area are usually asking $10k or more for one with less than 150,000 mi on it. A Jetta will be the easiest to find, but a 4-door Gulf TDI 5-speed is nearly impossible to find (that's what I wanted).
Old 02-25-2013, 11:37 AM

Don't forget the timing belt
Old 02-25-2013, 02:41 PM
CF Veteran

I was actually planning those exact mods, haha. The first thing on my list is the muffler delete. I wouldn't mind upgrading the clutch really, but I doubt I'll push that much power with it. I'm not aiming for anything major, maybe 200ft/lb of torque and 120hp or so. With a diesel torque is the aim of the game. I'm definitely getting a 5 speed, no auto for me. I've just heard some horror stories that kinda set me back. Also trying to find one for under $7k is pretty damn hard. Usually they have 200k+ miles on them, which my jeep already has. I don't want another high mileage vehicle quite yet, haha. And yes, I've heard about the timing belt. Those are expensive fixes, so I'm doin some research on it to see if it can be done by me instead of a mechanic. Hopefully it isn't too intricate. Hell, I did the water pump on my XJ, this shouldn't be much worse.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0L I6

If I could afford, I would have a Golf TDI. There's LOTS o info over at TDIclub, and even some vehicles for sale. I would go there. Maybe even vwvortex forums.
Oh, and TB is not very complex. Replace the water pump while you are in there.

Last edited by Metmknice; 02-25-2013 at 02:52 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:41 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Metmknice
If I could afford, I would have a Golf TDI. There's LOTS o info over at TDIclub, and even some vehicles for sale. I would go there. Maybe even vwvortex forums.
Oh, and TB is not very complex. Replace the water pump while you are in there.
I've been reading a lot on TDIclub actually. I might make a membership, but not too sure yet. I imagine the TB isn't too bad, just time consuming. I'd rather have a Jetta over a Golf, haha.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:51 AM

Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by XJ.89.Limited
Usually they have 200k+ miles on them, which my jeep already has. I don't want another high mileage vehicle quite yet, haha. And yes, I've heard about the timing belt. Those are expensive fixes, so I'm doin some research on it to see if it can be done by me instead of a mechanic. Hopefully it isn't too intricate. Hell, I did the water pump on my XJ, this shouldn't be much worse.
I had a MKIV Jetta TDI before my jeep. I was usually got around 45 mpg, 55 when i drove down to florida. And for a TDI 200k really isnt that many miles. The diesels will last a bit longer then a gas engine. If the engine went out before 350k id be surprised. The water pump and timing belt was expensive, around 800 for me at the shop. There are some specialized tools you will need if you plan to do it on your own, which is why i took mine in.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:22 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by JINGLESMC
I had a MKIV Jetta TDI before my jeep. I was usually got around 45 mpg, 55 when i drove down to florida. And for a TDI 200k really isnt that many miles. The diesels will last a bit longer then a gas engine. If the engine went out before 350k id be surprised. The water pump and timing belt was expensive, around 800 for me at the shop. There are some specialized tools you will need if you plan to do it on your own, which is why i took mine in.
I was worried about the special tools needed. I don't mind 200k on the motor, but 200k on everything else is another story. trans, clutch, cv joints, suspension parts, electronics. It can all wear out quick after that.