Other Vehicles. Other Jeep models & cars and trucks of other makes Talk any vehicle tech in here other than Cherokees.

oh, what to do.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: i6
Default oh, what to do.

Ok, I am getting a different job soon (no more delivering pizza) but will make about the same money.

Should I keep my focus (85k) and just drive it till it dies?

Orrr should I just sell it, get a motorcycle (nothing crazy, but probably not a ninja 250 either. Probably somewhere around a 600. "sports bike") and drive the jeep on rainy days/in winter?

I have had the focus since 30k and taken great care of it, but its getting a lot of miles for a focus. I paid 5k for it and since then have put another 1500 into it doing all the work myself. I average around 23 mpg in it.

I talked to some motorcycle riders around and they said they easily ride most days for 8 months a year, just throwing that out so you get an idea of how much I would use it.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Inline 6 4.0 H.O.

depends on distance u drive to work and the weather around your area. when i had my bike i didnt wan to suit up everytime to ride it and spent alot on parts. youll save on insurance though. aand around me everyone is crazy n doesnt stop for sport bikes so your alot safer just bein a cager. ive had a car, bike and jeep all at the same time and i chose the car for distance and the jeep for fun and bike for fun. have to think about your own situation. goodluck be safe on the bike though if u get it
Old 04-25-2012, 09:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987 & 1996
Engine: 4.0

Keep the car, I wouldn't be afraid of an 85k mile Ford.....
Wifes Taurus SHO has 240k miles on it.

Bikes are nice toys, but they suck for daily transportation, I rode one all last winter in all weather, rain, sleet, snow, below freezing temps. Everyone said I was a hard **** but in reality it was all I had to get there. The wife needed the XJ.

Plan B: Find a good used Comanche and trade the Focus for it.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:59 AM

Off subject, but I just sold a Taurus SHO last summer. FUN to drive! Alright, might be keeping the car. I will see how things go over the next few months
Old 05-06-2012, 11:13 AM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L

I've got a Jeep (newish to me) and a motorcycle. Although I have rocked the 4X4 and two wheel combination for awhile now and I couldn't be happier with it. Why drive a car that probably doesn't get 42 MPG like my bike can (when im not having fun) and wont go 0-60 in 3 seconds flat? Not to mention with all the modifications I've done to my Z1000 it handles like a scalpel and stops on a dime with one finger.

As far as riding 8 months out of the year. You need to ask yourself how much your willing to suffer. For most people that's what it is. It depends where you live and how tough you are and how much you enjoy riding. I will ride in pretty much everything, I love riding that much. If there is snow or ice on the ground I park the thing. I love it too much to risk putting it down with those kinds of odds. Most people are fair weather riders. No shame in that, it's just personal preference.

Just so you know, I have been riding for 4 years now. I have over 35,000 miles in the saddle including a trip across the USA and back in April of 2011. That trip was cold, and I was camping almost the whole way. Best experience of my life thus far too.

Last edited by WolfNman; 05-06-2012 at 11:17 AM.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by joshamo
Orrr should I just sell it, get a motorcycle (nothing crazy, but probably not a ninja 250 either. Probably somewhere around a 600. "sports bike") and drive the jeep on rainy days/in winter?
This is exactly what I do. My motorcycle is my DD, and the Jeep gets me to work in the winter. I have the luxury of also having my wife's 2011 Subaru WRX as our "main" car. So we take that whenever we're both going somewhere together. Otherwise though, the bike/Jeep combo is great.

If you do get a bike, I would highly recommend the Suzuki SV650 as a good starter bike if you haven't ridden before. Sporty (but not a supersport class), plenty enough power to be fun, but very manageable power. The throttle on those is far more forgiving than a "race replica" bike (R6, GSX-R 600, CBR600RR, etc).
Old 05-17-2012, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Methix
This is exactly what I do. My motorcycle is my DD, and the Jeep gets me to work in the winter. I have the luxury of also having my wife's 2011 Subaru WRX as our "main" car. So we take that whenever we're both going somewhere together. Otherwise though, the bike/Jeep combo is great.

If you do get a bike, I would highly recommend the Suzuki SV650 as a good starter bike if you haven't ridden before. Sporty (but not a supersport class), plenty enough power to be fun, but very manageable power. The throttle on those is far more forgiving than a "race replica" bike (R6, GSX-R 600, CBR600RR, etc).
I was actually lookin at a sv650 then all the sudden the guy stopped answering the phone

My soon to be wife has the "main car" that might soon be traded for a crossover though. I'm hoping things go good these next few weeks and I can pick something up. Thanks for the advice!