Other Vehicles. Other Jeep models & cars and trucks of other makes Talk any vehicle tech in here other than Cherokees.

:off topic JEEP/LANDROVER::

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 10:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default :off topic JEEP/LANDROVER::

no one over in the general section was commenting so i moved this here. sorry if its the wrong place.
I am on my way to purchasing my very own xj by the end of the summer to take with me to college...my mom and dad bought a used 2005 land rover LR3 with 17k miles on it back in 2006. They were able to get the fully loaded HSE trim level because they saved some cash with the used one. this level comes with the nice leather and GPS and a snazzy electronic locking rear diff. We LOVE this car to death!!!! it is super comfortable, has NASA like technology, and looks great from the front!!(not so much from the back) but anyways..i have taken it mountian biking before and such but this past weekend i went with some buddies and did some serious wheeling! i was able to get through everything!! my friend has a lifted bronco with lockers and 35 mudders. this is georgia mudding we are talkin about here with some hill climbs and rocks and such as well. the land rover has an automatic center locking dif, full time all wheel drive, automatic locking rear dif, an intelligent terrain response traction control system, an amazing GPS system that can work ALL over the world and leave "bread crumbs" for off road trails. it has an air ride suspension that lowers for getting into the vehicle and lowers for highway driving for better mpg and raises 4inches for off road and an additional inch when the car feels it has bottomed out. and it only has all season tires with 19" wheels...would have liked the 18" ones though..tires are really pricey with 19s! but anyways...i realize it is a tad more expensive than jeeps...but i am really impressed with its off road ability with front and rear independent front suspension. Now i know they are said to be unreliable...but that ended with the new land rovers! the first and second generation discovery's were indeed unreliable! haha. so you guys tell me what you think! for a reasonably priced luxery suv it sure comes with more grunt than anything BMW or Mercedes or Lexus or Cadillac can offer! here are some PICTURES!

AIRBAGS
now i am sop excited about having a jeep with solid axles and a super simple layout of the drive train and one of the most reliable cars out there that i will be able to have a bunch of fun with so don't get me wrong! i love jeeps! but this was just amazing to me that a grocery getter can perform so well off road!
Old 06-25-2010, 10:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 stock

no thanks.... too many gadgets. I don't want to have to get an engineering degree to operate my vehicle...

With my Cherokee I pull a lever and I'm in 4wd.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:59 AM

with my land rover its already in 4wd. even easier than a Cherokee. and you can get these things used for only $25k..not too bad for a 7passenger vehicle!
Old 06-25-2010, 11:02 AM
CF Veteran

Or I could buy 5 really nice Cherokees.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 straight 6

Yeah way too pricey for my blood, I like my vehicles simple and inexpensive to fix. Even if they did fix some of the problems with the Land Rovers, if something does go wrong, which it eventually will, I'd be willing to bet it'd cost more to fix it than what I bought my jeep for in the first place.
And yes this is very much for where this was posted, still even here I don't think you'll get too many responses
Old 06-25-2010, 11:21 AM

this is very very true!! thats why i say..its kind of different and im not comparing..just sharing and trying to convince yall like i did my friends that land rovers really can play!
Old 06-25-2010, 11:22 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by csmart30
Yeah way too pricey for my blood, I like my vehicles simple and inexpensive to fix. Even if they did fix some of the problems with the Land Rovers, if something does go wrong, which it eventually will, I'd be willing to bet it'd cost more to fix it than what I bought my jeep for in the first place.
x2.

What sort of a response were you looking for? You'll get a better one on a landrover forum I think.

Originally Posted by BigC9164
this is very very true!! thats why i say..its kind of different and im not comparing..just sharing and trying to convince yall like i did my friends that land rovers really can play!
Not at all meant as a flame, but those pics you posted show a landrover on a dirt road... there's no four-wheeling needed. I'm still confused at what you're hoping for in this thread?
Old 06-25-2010, 11:22 AM

haha. and yeah your right! we had to replace a wheel bearing and it cost $700!!??
Old 06-25-2010, 11:26 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94
Engine: 4.0L

This does not belong in Cherokee Tech... moved to Other vehicles.

LR's are nice rides, i'd like to have a Discovery.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0L I6

Try a Land Rover forum instead for better responses
Old 06-25-2010, 11:48 AM
CF Veteran

I was never a fan of land rovers. It's like England saw the Jeep and thought "anything you can do, I can do better!"

After all the years, that is how it stayed.... a thought.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94

Little history for you young bucks. The early LR was built on a Jeep frame.

Why the snobbery? This is a prime example why we have an "other vehicle" section. Now if he's just here to Troll it'll soon become clear... and it'll go away.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:17 PM

I have been around Rovers a lot. My dad was a LR mechanic for about 20 years. He loves Jeeps, and has nothing good to say about Rovers - granted, this may be partially from overexposure to broken ones and being the one that has to pain-stakingly diagnose the cause.
I went on several Moab trips with groups of LR owners. On one hand, there are few luxury vehicles that will hang with them offroad. Stock for stock, they will probably out wheel an XJ on account of the locking diffs. On the other hand, you could mod an XJ, any Jeep, or most any 'more moderate' 4x4 to spank it off road and come up way ahead in cash.

They do pretty nice offroad for what they are. I would disagree that they are "reasonably priced," but then again, I am not plugged into the luxury scene at all. They are extreeeeeemely expensive to repair, and are overdependent on technology - not unlike most luxury rides. The technology is nice when it is working.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:56 PM

Year: 2000

Originally Posted by FloydXJ
I have been around Rovers a lot. My dad was a LR mechanic for about 20 years. He loves Jeeps, and has nothing good to say about Rovers - granted, this may be partially from overexposure to broken ones and being the one that has to pain-stakingly diagnose the cause.
I went on several Moab trips with groups of LR owners. On one hand, there are few luxury vehicles that will hang with them offroad. Stock for stock, they will probably out wheel an XJ on account of the locking diffs. On the other hand, you could mod an XJ, any Jeep, or most any 'more moderate' 4x4 to spank it off road and come up way ahead in cash.

They do pretty nice offroad for what they are. I would disagree that they are "reasonably priced," but then again, I am not plugged into the luxury scene at all. They are extreeeeeemely expensive to repair, and are overdependent on technology - not unlike most luxury rides. The technology is nice when it is working.
I totally agree. Just ask and toyota owner with the sticky gas pedal. Dont get me wrong it would suck if that happened. But there whole throttle system is electronic and when it works, man it works great. But when it fails. Man the failure makes the company look stupid.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:15 PM

Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 6 cyl

Saw a bunch of Rover enthusiasts out at Superlift in Arkansas a few months back and that was the first time I'd seen one actually go offroad in almost 30 years. My dad had some sort of LR pickup as well as one of the boxy little ones back in the 80's and so did most folks in that offroad club. We were in Iceland at the time and it's not like you could just go to some random car dealership and pick up a new ride. Most of those Rovers had been passed down and around between members for years! They're tougher than people give them credit for.

Nowadays it costs so much to ship them over here it's just not worth sending over a stripped down model. That's why the ones you see now are all fancied up. Some people aren't afraid to get back to their offroad roots though :
http://www.landroverscum.webs.com/

frankly I don't care what logo is on your rig as long as you're wheelin' it. I'd rather have the scruffiest-lookin' truck on the trails than the prettiest one in the mall parking lot.

Quick Reply: :off topic JEEP/LANDROVER::