Other Vehicles. Other Jeep models & cars and trucks of other makes Talk any vehicle tech in here other than Cherokees.

need advice for mother on a town and country van

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 04:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l 6 cylinder
Default need advice for mother on a town and country van

My mother is thinking about getting a used town and country vehicle.

i don't really know anything about them but supposedly it was pretty well maintained.

its a 2007 and she says everything seems to be good with it just wondering if anyone has any opinions on them.

i can't look at it since its 1300 miles away in michigan and i am in florida.

are they good reliable, are they expensive to repair she would have to take to a mechanic up there if anything needs fixing.

are they made the same way as a dodge caravan, i wouldn't touch one of those unless it was given to me. known too many people with them that have to sink all sorts of expensive repair money for something that should be easy to so.

and it looks like they might basically be the same vehicle like the astra and safari was.

all i know its a 2007

thanks

ryan
Old 11-10-2017, 04:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by rgs80074
are they made the same way as a dodge caravan, i wouldn't touch one of those unless it was given to me. known too many people with them that have to sink all sorts of expensive repair money for something that should be easy to so.
They are exactly the same vehicle (platform/mechanicals), the Town & Country is just the "upscale/luxury" version

Any Chrysler product from the Late Daimler/Cerberus/Bankruptcy era. (2005-2010 or so) is pretty dicey, there was a lot of cost-cutting and general "don't give a crap" attitude from the company that lead to lots of reliability issues (not that Chrysler/FCA in any era is exceptionally reliable, but this period was bad even by Chrysler standards).

Modern Mini-Vans (any thing transverse engine/FWD) in general are hell to work on (very tight engine compartments and difficult to access components) and thus tend to be fairly expensive to repair in many cases, I doubt that Chrysler is any worse than any other manufacture, but the Chrysler vans are probably more likely to need repairs (aside from the years of Honda Odysseys with the transmission issues).

Last edited by dmill89; 11-11-2017 at 10:37 AM.
Old 11-11-2017, 05:54 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l 6 cylinder

thats kinda what i was afraid of. there's some odd noise it makes once in a while already that no one can figure out. she won't have any mechanics around so it would always have to go to a shop for repairs, i worry she'll end up with a money pit. maybe if she gets it cheap enough then with proper maintenance it will last long enough for her.

yes every vehicle has their issues.

jeeps have tons but even with the repairs i had to do on mine i consider the jeep i had for 10 years and the current one for going on 3 have been pretty good. i've never had any major issues with them and the repairs i had to do well the damn thing is 20 years old things go bad eventually. its got repairs now i need to make but nothing that keeps if form being driven and it drives rather well.

my dodge van is the same way 1997 b2500, got some minor repairs left didn't even do too many repairs to it but things was a pain in the beginning, water leaks, mechanic putting thermostat on backwards, etc, alternator, power steering pump, a few sensors, cat converter, etc. seems like a lot but then again that vehicle was almost 20 years old too. got a good deal on it, when running which is is now it runs real good.

just have to get ac in them and not sure if its worth fixing correctly or some alternate method.