Other Vehicles. Other Jeep models & cars and trucks of other makes Talk any vehicle tech in here other than Cherokees.

my dodge car giving me grief

Old 04-08-2011, 01:35 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0 i six H.O.
Default my dodge car giving me grief

well i tried to change my fuel filter,but the quick disconnects are too damn rusty and the braided steel line started leaking and apparently i have them off just enough, to leak every where and cant push them back on, and the brake lines are right next to the fuel line,rusted in place in some kind of plastic bracket holder,which i cant pop them out of without breaking them. soooo i cant cut the fuel line anywhere to run hose. i cant run the car,so it has to be towed to a shop to get it fixed. if i drive 4 miles to the shop, the tank will be empty,if i even make it that far that is. im in the middle of checking all my sensors,changed my plugs,replaced iac sensor because it was bad. because its runnin like crap. fuel filter hasnt been changed in 6 years. just ranting.: icon_mad: these older intrepids are easy too work on, as long the rust is under control.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:30 AM

well fuel filter line is fixed, 50 bucks for tow,155 bucks to fix,but they called me and said my brake line is leaking, not sure if i did it or they did it,and that is another 150 bucks. i told them to fix it. theyre still not done with it until monday sometime. i have a feeling something else will break,ill probably have to make payments to them.im runnin out of money until next payday.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:01 PM

well the o2 sensors are bad on my car,and i hav to wait a couple of weeks to save the money to buy them and put them in. like in the last post my fuel lines fixed and half the brake lines fixed for 550 bucks. i probably should have done it myself.
Old 05-08-2011, 12:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee

thats some rough luck,... What kinda dodge do you have?
Old 05-08-2011, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Mattpar
thats some rough luck,... What kinda dodge do you have?
93 intrepid
Old 05-10-2011, 09:01 PM
::Regional Moderator::

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: I6

Originally Posted by redmuck
93 intrepid
If the tranny starts acting up just do a flush and change out the two sensors on it. My buddy and I have done this on a few A-604 trannies and their variants and the transmissions work like new, afterwards.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:11 PM

finally changed the o2 sensors yesterday and today, had to cut them off right above the nut, to get a small socket on it. the o2 socket was worthless. drivers side i had to take the starter off to get to it. then a 22 mm open end to put the new ones on. car seems to be runnin smoother,will know for sure tomorrow when i go to get gas in it.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:32 AM

well it still shifts to late, just not real hard like it was. so i decided to check my 2 year old tps and whatya know its bad too, go figure. wide open it only read 3.85, when its supposed to read 5.0. another week or so until i can get one,if this doesnt fix it,i probably should just sell it.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:42 PM

well i went to autozone to get the tps and i put it on, then i fixed my amp wire and changed the battery conn. bolts, then connected it back up and started the car and what?, no high idle or self adjusting?, check engine light on,so i did the key thing and code 12= battery disconnect and code 24= bad tps. used the meter and it was just as bad as my first one, frikken autozone sold me a bad one!! im guessin someone returned it saying it was the wrong part or they didnt need it.and got the cash back,which means free part.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:29 PM

well the tps is good,because dumbazz me read the book wrong, but the connector is just bad enough not to make a good connection. i pushed on the wires while running and the idle raised and lowered and almost died. so i took it apart and nothing looked bad,i even kinda sqeezed the female pins together to make it tighter,but not good enough. they are just loose enough to disrupt power going to it. im not sure if im gonna splice a newer plug from jy,that is if their the same.this is ticking me off because this car gets better gas milage then redmuck, i'd rather fill this up once a week instead of redmuck twice a week,50 bucks a week vs 100 bucks a week.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:12 PM

the tps connector didnt do what it did yesterday and i coulnt get it to do it again,and its still shifting bad. the egr vacuum test is good but i dont know if it should run worse when i unplug the eet egr electrical connector,there was no change when i did. not sure what to do next.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:42 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 92
Engine: 4.0

Man when it rains it poor. I have had them days too. Don't think I want a dodge lol
Old 06-12-2011, 11:07 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L, CAI, Edelbrock Breather, Optima Yellowtop

I used to have a 97 Intrepid. It was a great car before my dad wrecked it lol.
Mine never had issues like that, but I have heard of a lot of trans issues coming from them.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:23 PM

yea it was running great before the trans shop looked at it. said nothing was wrong but the cat is clogged and i got it back and its running crappy,not shiftin right, then got the cat changed and still runnin crappy and not shiftin right. im about ready to just trade it in for a slighty newer car,hopefully without these kind of problems.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:26 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L, CAI, Edelbrock Breather, Optima Yellowtop

Originally Posted by redmuck
yea it was running great before the trans shop looked at it. said nothing was wrong but the cat is clogged and i got it back and its running crappy,not shiftin right, then got the cat changed and still runnin crappy and not shiftin right. im about ready to just trade it in for a slighty newer car,hopefully without these kind of problems.
did you try adjusting the TV cable for the trans?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: my dodge car giving me grief