Other Vehicles. Other Jeep models & cars and trucks of other makes Talk any vehicle tech in here other than Cherokees.

my buddy just bought a liberty

Old 03-06-2010, 11:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6
Default my buddy just bought a liberty

Dont ask why, haha. But he wants to know if there is anything he should know about it, like common problems. also he wanted to know how hard/much more than normal it would be to lift because of the independant front suspension. thanks
Old 03-06-2010, 11:45 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by beardown46
Dont ask why, haha. But he wants to know if there is anything he should know about it, like common problems. also he wanted to know how hard/much more than normal it would be to lift because of the independant front suspension. thanks
I'm not a big fan of the 3.7L V6, but that's just my opinion. I haven't heard of many problems with the Liberty. A model year would be helpful though. It wouldn't be that difficult because all of your full size Chevy's from 88+ have independent front suspension and dodges from 03+ and Fords from 97+ (1/2 ton trucks) and there are a lot of kits out there for those trucks. It isn't as easy as springs and shocks with them though, you need to think about driveline angles side to side and front to back, where as on a solid axle vehicle, you need to think about just front to back driveline angles. Maybe some of the more seasoned members can comment, as I've only got limited experience in lifting vehicles.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:45 AM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L

I remember seeing on here, not tooooo long ago, someone who had lifted their Liberty, and it actually looked pretty damn good. I can't remember a name or a link or anything, but I'm sure someone can chime in on it.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:35 AM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

The liverty's had alot of head issues and injector problems. My wife had one for a while and it was decent you can get a 2 lift from 4wd http://www.4wd.com/jeep-parts.aspx?c...id=357&plID=60
Old 03-07-2010, 08:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 w/ K&N and bored TB

The main problem you are going to have with independent is that you cant lift it more than a couple inches and it wont have hardly any flex. As for the liberty in general, they are ok but the engine has a dubious reputation for reliability. A buddy of mine had one and the heads needed to be rebuilt at 120kmi.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 High Output

Originally Posted by beardown46
Don't know if I'm allowed to post this here, but tell your friend to go on http://www.jeepkj.com/ if he wants more informations on his liberty
Old 03-09-2010, 01:17 AM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 L6

Originally Posted by halmotors
I remember seeing on here, not tooooo long ago, someone who had lifted their Liberty, and it actually looked pretty damn good. I can't remember a name or a link or anything, but I'm sure someone can chime in on it.

I've seen him too. He calls it "pig nasty" its silver and has like a 3" lift. I bet if you search it on google images a link might pop up to his page. or a post of his.
My mom has one, she likes it and hasnt had problems. I couldnt tell you mileage or year though. I CAN tell you that it has seen ZERO offroad situations. idk if it has ever needed to use its 4wd. but yeah, tell him to trade for an xj