Other Vehicles. Other Jeep models & cars and trucks of other makes Talk any vehicle tech in here other than Cherokees.

Lets see what Jeep guys know about VWs

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Lets see what Jeep guys know about VWs

Posted what is below on a VW forum about 3 weeks ago now... still no responses. The forum kinda sucks.

Just bought a 2000 Jetta GLS 2.0 5spd with 155k on the clock as a commuter car. Knew it had a few issues when I bought it but nothing seemed major and the mechanic that looked it over seemed to think the same.

For starters, the airbag light is on. My first thought was the clockspring but the horn still works so I'm guessing it'll need to be scanned?

Second, the cruise control will cut out seemingly randomly and won't work again until the car is restarted. Really not sure whats going on with that one. I heard these are notorious for bad brake light switches though (also get interference through the radio with an FM adapter when stepping on the brakes).

Third, there is some sort of noise coming from the engine bay. Sounds like a metallic grinding/whistling noise of sorts, like one of the pulleys on the serp. belt had a bad bearing. Took the belt off and everything spun free and smooth (does need a new belt though). The noise is correlated with hard acceleration and/or heavy load. Doesn't seem to be an exhaust leak so I'm down to thinking maybe a vacuum leak? After sucking in some seafoam smoke came out the end of the exhaust and nowhere else.

Finally, It's got a few suspension clunks. Seems like mostly from the rear. Maybe a little from the front passenger side too. Not sure what the most likely culprit is there, control arm bushings? Rear had a broken spring. Both were replaced with a new set. Didn't see anything else glaring.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:32 AM

Year: 1996

Airbag light is more than likely a programming issue and can be scanned out. Loss of cruise usually means a bad second brake light switch (VW used two, one for the lights, one to cut off the cruise, for a while) and easily fixed. Any noise from the engine means take a hard look at the whole system of pulleys and idlers in the timing belt system and the water pump. Good dealers carry every pulley and idler and water pump for that reason. Suspension noise is almost always rubber insulators gone bad. Lots of bushings and pucks under the VW. 2000 was the first year I worked for VW and 2011 was the last.

Last edited by 62rebel; 10-03-2018 at 08:33 AM. Reason: lost content
Old 10-03-2018, 09:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1994

does your cruise have steering wheel mounted controls ? if so I would suspect the clock spring for that reason and the airbag light even if the horn still works
Old 10-04-2018, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by 62rebel
Airbag light is more than likely a programming issue and can be scanned out. Loss of cruise usually means a bad second brake light switch (VW used two, one for the lights, one to cut off the cruise, for a while) and easily fixed. Any noise from the engine means take a hard look at the whole system of pulleys and idlers in the timing belt system and the water pump. Good dealers carry every pulley and idler and water pump for that reason. Suspension noise is almost always rubber insulators gone bad. Lots of bushings and pucks under the VW. 2000 was the first year I worked for VW and 2011 was the last.
Knew I could count on this forum! Some great info here, thank you. Trying to get it to the shop soonish (stripped out one of the security lugs....) and I'll have them check out the airbag light while it's there. Weirdly it seems like changing the dipstick tube helped solve the under hood noise though it isn't completely gone. Guess it was causing a vacuum leak since it now starts easier and idles smoother. I figured the suspension noise is rubber parts gone bad, just hoping it's not axle bushings. Also noticed that the front tires are wearing unevenly. All in all it seems like a good car though.

tinytrax78, cruise is mounted on a stalk off the column.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:45 PM
IJM
CF Veteran

Received 271 Likes on 202 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

The 2.slo is pretty reliable, and the MkIV cars are very rust resistent. Check your idler pulley on the serpentine belt. The bearings like to go bad. I've got an '01 GTI VR6 I've owned since new. 100+ track days on it, and it still runs like a top.
Old 02-01-2019, 07:35 AM

Apart from the electrical gremlins, it has been very reliable and surprisingly rust free (put 11k on it since mid-June). I changed the serpentine belt and that helped a lot with the noise. It does squeal at higher revs on hard acceleration but thats only with the A/C compressor running, and looking at the amount of belt wrap I can't say I'm surprised.