Lets see what Jeep guys know about VWs - Jeep Cherokee Forum

Other Vehicles. Other Jeep models & cars and trucks of other makes Talk any vehicle tech in here other than Cherokees.

Lets see what Jeep guys know about VWs

Old 07-12-2018, 11:29 AM

Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Lets see what Jeep guys know about VWs

Posted what is below on a VW forum about 3 weeks ago now... still no responses. The forum kinda sucks.

Just bought a 2000 Jetta GLS 2.0 5spd with 155k on the clock as a commuter car. Knew it had a few issues when I bought it but nothing seemed major and the mechanic that looked it over seemed to think the same.

For starters, the airbag light is on. My first thought was the clockspring but the horn still works so I'm guessing it'll need to be scanned?

Second, the cruise control will cut out seemingly randomly and won't work again until the car is restarted. Really not sure whats going on with that one. I heard these are notorious for bad brake light switches though (also get interference through the radio with an FM adapter when stepping on the brakes).

Third, there is some sort of noise coming from the engine bay. Sounds like a metallic grinding/whistling noise of sorts, like one of the pulleys on the serp. belt had a bad bearing. Took the belt off and everything spun free and smooth (does need a new belt though). The noise is correlated with hard acceleration and/or heavy load. Doesn't seem to be an exhaust leak so I'm down to thinking maybe a vacuum leak? After sucking in some seafoam smoke came out the end of the exhaust and nowhere else.

Finally, It's got a few suspension clunks. Seems like mostly from the rear. Maybe a little from the front passenger side too. Not sure what the most likely culprit is there, control arm bushings? Rear had a broken spring. Both were replaced with a new set. Didn't see anything else glaring.