Other Vehicles. Other Jeep models & cars and trucks of other makes Talk any vehicle tech in here other than Cherokees.

Horn install on ATV help NEEDED

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 10:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Default Horn install on ATV help NEEDED

I've got a buddy looking to legalize his ATV for street. He is looking to install a horn to his accessory fuse in his fuse box. What should I know to get this job done right and easily?

He owns a late model Can Am BRP if that matters.
Thanks,

s
Old 06-08-2010, 11:14 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by smtippin
I've got a buddy looking to legalize his ATV for street. He is looking to install a horn to his accessory fuse in his fuse box. What should I know to get this job done right and easily?

He owns a late model Can Am BRP if that matters.
Thanks,

s
How was he able to do that? I wanna do that...lol I've been riding my entire life.Do you have pictures of it?
Old 06-08-2010, 03:11 PM
CF Veteran

If by "that" you mean legalize his ATV for street, I'm posting the question because it is not yet legal for street. Depernding on where you live, there are different laws. Here in Wyoming, where horses can legally go thorugh drive throughs for a frosty and french fries, it isn't that tough. You need lights, a horn, and a mirror. I'm sure there is some exhaust restriction, but that is about it.

Do you know how to wire a horn?

s
Old 06-08-2010, 04:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

just like hooking up offroad lights i think, my dad put an a-oooga horn in his CJ, and just had it wired on a button. should wire with a hot going from the battery, to the switch, from the switch to the horn, and the horn grounded somewhere metal....that is if atvs do ground to the body.....but thats about all it takes...
hope this helps
Old 06-08-2010, 06:27 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Is that even possible to legalize those things?! Here in Maryland you need a permit to fart, well not really but damn near close. I would think it would need a seat belt too??? I mean if you can let me know. I wouldnt mind getting some street slick and rolling to college on my quad. HAHAHA

But as far as horns. Get a "orugahh" horn for like 20$ and wire it to the battery and be done with it. If yall got a pep boys, the local here 1 has a few in stock here or can order it.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:42 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by KTMrider
Is that even possible to legalize those things?! Here in Maryland you need a permit to fart, well not really but damn near close. I would think it would need a seat belt too??? I mean if you can let me know. I wouldnt mind getting some street slick and rolling to college on my quad. HAHAHA

But as far as horns. Get a "orugahh" horn for like 20$ and wire it to the battery and be done with it. If yall got a pep boys, the local here 1 has a few in stock here or can order it.
x2^^^^^ plus look at o'reileys, and no he wouldnt need a seat belt, just like you dont need one on a motorcycle
Old 06-08-2010, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by xj_maniac_newb
x2^^^^^ plus look at o'reileys, and no he wouldnt need a seat belt, just like you dont need one on a motorcycle
Thats what i was told because it has 4 wheels. But then again me and my old man were just throwing the idea around and seein why it wouldnt be legal here. I could be wrong. But that would be funny with that horn!
Old 06-09-2010, 01:16 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by xj_maniac_newb
just like hooking up offroad lights i think, my dad put an a-oooga horn in his CJ, and just had it wired on a button. should wire with a hot going from the battery, to the switch, from the switch to the horn, and the horn grounded somewhere metal....that is if atvs do ground to the body.....but thats about all it takes...
hope this helps
That is how I would do it if it were mine, but my buddy, for whatever reason, is dead set on using his accessory fuse. I just don't know enough about electrical to know where to put the fuse in the circuit.

s
Old 06-09-2010, 01:20 AM
CF Veteran

Like I said in post #3, here in Wyoming, laws are a bit different. ATVs have their own license plate and all you need that I'm aware of is a mirror, horn, and lights. You don't need turn signals and we don't have a lid law so adults don't need helmets. I don't know of a tire restriction or anything.

s
Old 06-09-2010, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by smtippin
Like I said in post #3, here in Wyoming, laws are a bit different. ATVs have their own license plate and all you need that I'm aware of is a mirror, horn, and lights. You don't need turn signals and we don't have a lid law so adults don't need helmets. I don't know of a tire restriction or anything.

s
All i gotta say is that is awsome! good luck
Old 06-09-2010, 08:59 AM
CF Veteran

All i gotta say is that is awsome! good luck
I know man. Check this. Per Wyoming DOT: http://www.dot.state.wy.us/webdav/si...0Checklist.pdf

For ATVs less than 50" in width, all you need is a headlight, taillight, rear reflector, stop light, muffler(s), brakes, mirror(s), and a horn.

Best thing about it is that it costs about $15 to register.

s
Old 06-09-2010, 03:15 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man If I lived out there I'd have a new Quad Racer to blast to work on.That would be sick.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:08 PM
CF Veteran

honestly id try to convince him to just wire it to the battery, wiring through the accessory fuse is gonna be tough, and really no different at all than putting a fuse somewhere between the battery and switch.....i mean you may be able to wire it through the accessory fuse if its pushing enough power....but just wiring it up will be easier