Other Vehicles. Other Jeep models & cars and trucks of other makes Talk any vehicle tech in here other than Cherokees.

Head issue on 99 sunfire 2.2l

Old 01-08-2012, 08:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Litre Chrysler MPI, "High Output"
Default Head issue on 99 sunfire 2.2l

So, I had a water pump gasket fail. Water pump was actually ok, but the gasket fell apart on the vehicle and leaked water extremely fast. It overheated a little bit. And after replacing the pump and filling with water again. realized that it was blowing steam out the exhaust and air into the cooling system. Figured minimum head gasket hoping it wasnt the head.
Well I got it apart today. It had water in cylinders 4-3-2 most in 4 least in 2. From the main water jacket side (driver side). I could find no evident crack(s) in the head and the gasket looked ok. There was a massive amount of steam out the exhaust, though it was cold out, non the less still quite a bit. Most of the head bolts came out rather easily, actually alot of things came apart easier than seemed they should. I'm wondering if the overheating could have caused stretching of the head bolts or something to allow the leakage between the head and block and gasket.
Just looking for someone who may have more experience on this or some suggestions on what to do from here. This is my first cylinder head rodeo.
thanks guys
Old 01-09-2012, 01:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 95
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Those 2.2's are fairly notorius for head gaskets and also heads. Cross ur fingers but if it was mine I would probably have a reputable machine shop check the head for cracks or warping while its off (they should be able to price that by phone). If you dont check the head , you might be doing it over again either needing machine work or a new head.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:09 AM

Thanks, I'm gona make a call today to price checking it out. But if its much, I can just get a newly reman head for $200 shipped.
It's just wild that there's no obvious signs of damage on the head or gasket. As it was leaking so bad. Shoot there was about 3/4" of water in #4 cylinder 1/2" in 3 and 1/4" in 2. Which which does lead me to believe that the seal between head and block failed either due to warping or head bolts stretching ot loosening. And like I said some came out way to easy.
I'm going to check it today for any obvious warping.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:59 AM

Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)

My mom has a 2002 with a 2.2 and it's on its 3rd engine.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Jeffvador
My mom has a 2002 with a 2.2 and it's on its 3rd engine.
Wow, she must drive it like a race car, or do zero maintainence. I for one think they are very reliable engines, as long as maintained per manufacturer. I have 160k plus on mine and ran like new until overheating due to low coolant. Which was because of my own oversight of a leak.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:08 AM

Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)

Originally Posted by 2trackin
Wow, she must drive it like a race car, or do zero maintainence. I for one think they are very reliable engines, as long as maintained per manufacturer. I have 160k plus on mine and ran like new until overheating due to low coolant. Which was because of my own oversight of a leak.
Nope, she drives like an old woman. And every was changed regularly such as oil and plugs.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:25 AM
Old Skewl CF like a Sir

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L High Output OBDII

Just did a cylinder head and gasket on a buddies 03' 2.2L Ecotec. Like jnicewan said, have the head inspected. If it turns out it is cracked, no huge ordeal. We got my buddies cylinder head used for like $200.

Regardless if the heat buildup stretched the head bolts, they should always be replaced anyway, along with new camshaft sprocket bolts. I'm not sure if yours is timing chain driven, but get a new timing chain tensioner while you are at it.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:35 AM

It's ohv. cam in the block. I'm not going to get any deeper into this engine. I'm already in unfamiliar territory here. Replacing the head itself is as far as I'm going.
Having the head checked out tonight. If it checks out ok. Then I'm gona get a new gasket and bolts and out it on and compression test it. Would be great if a $20 gasket is all I need.