Other Vehicles. Other Jeep models & cars and trucks of other makes Talk any vehicle tech in here other than Cherokees.

Ford Excursion?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Ford Excursion?

Anyone on here ever drive one, up and down the road or as a DD? I'd like to know what it's like. Right now I'm on the fence of getting an Excursion, something that's pretty recent so I know there won't be anything that breaks as soon as I sit in it, or go with the Jeep, so I can modify it to my liking.

I feel like both of them would perform wonderfully off-road, and I love the length and the fear-factor the Excursion provides.

Any input is appreciated,
Thanks.

EDIT: After looking around, the Excursion is really unloved in terms of forums and build threads, they also sit "lower" as in, less ground clearance than a Cherokee, I have a large feeling I know which one I'll pick.

Last edited by ParkerM6; 10-27-2014 at 09:54 PM.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:01 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

The Ford is nothing like a Jeep so its hard to compare them. I've owned several cherokees and they are small SUVs that have fairly decent turning radius, gas mileage and are more then capable off road for all sorts of 4wheeling like mud, rocks, trials, etc. A Ford will not have the "small" thing going for it at all so will get worse mpgs, worse turning and less capable for different off road purposes. Really comes down to what you want but they are way different but can each serve a purpose. The ford can actually seat several people comfortably.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by esteem
The Ford is nothing like a Jeep so its hard to compare them. I've owned several cherokees and they are small SUVs that have fairly decent turning radius, gas mileage and are more then capable off road for all sorts of 4wheeling like mud, rocks, trials, etc. A Ford will not have the "small" thing going for it at all so will get worse mpgs, worse turning and less capable for different off road purposes. Really comes down to what you want but they are way different but can each serve a purpose. The ford can actually seat several people comfortably.
Yeah, I'm trying to weigh road demeanor vs. off road capabilities. I love the clean and 2000s look of the Excursion, but I love the boxy look of the Cherokee, the classic look. I'm also trying to think of which is better for moving people and instruments, seeing as how I'm actually in band I might need to take a tuba or two places...

Thanks for the response.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:00 AM

I am not the owner of a cherokee however I know plenty of people that do, Just reading your question and your description of what you like and looking for I would say cherokee you can still sit 5 ppl or so and have cargo space in the back plus cherokee are great for DD/ mild offroading on a stock set up. very capable. Also many come with roof racks and could strap stuff on top if going on a trip as well as get a reciever and hitch and could get a rack for the back and the possibility of one in the front as well. there are lots of add ons that are possibilities for a cherokee and make it fun to own one. as far as the excursion you are basically buying a f-250 with a different body on top. it is going to be very heavy and depending on the motor/age of the truck could need lots of maintance. I have an 04 f-350 with 6.0 and it gets lots of bad reps but with money and maintance its a good truck. I still take my truck to the beach and however it is heavy it still doesnt have much of a problem but I would never take it on a trail of any sorts cause of the size.... Thats just my 2 cents...a used cherokee stock you can get at a decent price im thinking an used excursion is gonna set you back a little more that money could be used to add on to your cherokee and make it your rig so to speak

Last edited by Scott M; 10-28-2014 at 09:03 AM.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Scott M
I am not the owner of a cherokee however I know plenty of people that do, Just reading your question and your description of what you like and looking for I would say cherokee you can still sit 5 ppl or so and have cargo space in the back plus cherokee are great for DD/ mild offroading on a stock set up. very capable. Also many come with roof racks and could strap stuff on top if going on a trip as well as get a reciever and hitch and could get a rack for the back and the possibility of one in the front as well. there are lots of add ons that are possibilities for a cherokee and make it fun to own one. as far as the excursion you are basically buying a f-250 with a different body on top. it is going to be very heavy and depending on the motor/age of the truck could need lots of maintance. I have an 04 f-350 with 6.0 and it gets lots of bad reps but with money and maintance its a good truck. I still take my truck to the beach and however it is heavy it still doesnt have much of a problem but I would never take it on a trail of any sorts cause of the size.... Thats just my 2 cents...a used cherokee stock you can get at a decent price im thinking an used excursion is gonna set you back a little more that money could be used to add on to your cherokee and make it your rig so to speak
Yeah, thank you for that, I'm really just on the fence; I want to make a purchase that I won't regret. I don't think I could ever regret a Cherokee, those things are mean, but I wonder if I'd want something with a little more presence than the Cherokee. Hmm, thanks for the response.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:29 PM

Ehh, found out what I would spend on a *nice* Excursion would be the price of two Cherokees.... hmm; anyway, with that said, for the price I might as well buy a F-250.

Think I'll go for the Cherokee as a first car, thank you all.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:56 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

I own 2 Excursions. A 2000 6.8L V10 and a 2001 7.3L. I also own a 99 XJ. I have taken my V10 out on a few trails and would not recommend that unless you have some offroad experience. They are NOT made for offroading. They are made to tow a large family, your dogs and 10K lbs across country. you can't do that in an XJ. If you don't need to do that, don't buy an Excursion. that said, I love mine. I use my 7.3 to tow the XJ to LBL. My son and I can camp out in the back of the EX and have tons of storage AND a recovery vehicle if necessary.

I would drive my XJ as a daily if it had a 3rd row of seats...I have lots of kids.