Other Vehicles. Other Jeep models & cars and trucks of other makes Talk any vehicle tech in here other than Cherokees.

Door panel removal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Door panel removal?

I have a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee. My passenger side mirror is not moving and I am thinking it is the switch that is broken. Is it possible to remove the power switch panel with the window, mirror, and lock buttons on the driver side without removing the entire door panel?

Thanks!!
Old 07-13-2019, 09:41 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L (AMC) Straight Six

You're going to need to remove the entire door panel, unfortunately. To do so, use a flathead screwdriver to pry out the little circular plastic plug by the mirror on the inside of the door panel, and remove the Philips-head screw from behind it. Remove a Philips-head screw from inside the part where you grab onto to close the door, and then another Philips-head screw from behind another circular plastic plug on the part of the door panel that faces towards the dashboard. Then, you'll use a flathead screwdriver to carefully pry around the perimeter of the door panel to release the plastic retaining clips holding it in place, and then pull the door panel from the door. From there, you'll need to disconnect the wiring harnesses that are connected to the back of the door panel for the power windows and door locks, as well as one for the power mirrors. The trickiest part is prying up and out the plastic clips that hold the door lock and door release linkage rods in place. If you're not careful, you'll do one or both of two things: 1.) break the plastic clips holding the linkage rods in place or 2.) the screwdriver will slip and cut you. You'll also want to have a few extra plastic retaining clips in case you break any taking the door panel off. If any of those clips get caught in the door, simply use a pair of pliers to pull them out. I had to replace my switch panel, and I can't remember exactly, but I think there are clips that hold the switch panel to the door panel, and it will unclip. If you go to the junkyard or Pick-'n'-Pull, you may just want to pull an entire front door panel from a Jeep like yours (1999-2004 Grand Cherokee) just to make it easier (that's what I did).

QUICK EDIT: Here's instructions off the WJJeeps website, which is VERY helpful for repairs for the 1999-2004 Grand Cherokee: http://wjjeeps.com/doors/doorpanel.htm

Hope this helps.

-Vince