Other Vehicles. Other Jeep models & cars and trucks of other makes Talk any vehicle tech in here other than Cherokees.

Crankshaft position sensor

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 03:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Crankshaft position sensor

Just put fuel pump on 05 Cherokee 4.7 because of lack of pedal response and starting issues. It ran fine for 45 miles now want start people are telling me crankshaft position sensor trying to get some info from your guys it'll only turn over will not crank ANY INFO WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED NEED HELP ASAP ONLY VEHICLE
Old 09-21-2017, 01:04 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l 6 cylinder

ok

I am not a mechianic but i was having issues. it would start and i could use ti all day then the next day would no longer start. would crank but not start.

i started with the crankshaft position sensor worked great for a day.

then replaced
ignition coil worked great for a day
replaced cam sensor (also called ignition coil pickup)
rotor
distributor cap
wires

since all that was replaced its worked fine for many weeks now without a problem.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 170 Likes on 158 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0, new lifters valve job with new springs and exhaust valves, preload set with shims

First you should have a fuel pressure gauge to check the fuel pressure before deciding to change the pump. You hould have one now to rule out the pump. That said, starting issues are the hallmark of crank and cam sensor issues. These should throw codes but very often do not.
MOPAR only on these even if from the junkyard. Am running a jy cam sensor now, with no problems for 2 years, after going through 2 Dontalast sensors. That was the problem, funny power and hot no starts.