Other Vehicles. Other Jeep models & cars and trucks of other makes Talk any vehicle tech in here other than Cherokees.

Commander leaking when it rains! Desperate for help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Liter I6
Default Commander leaking when it rains! Desperate for help!

My wife has an 06 commander limited with a sunroof. It rained all night last night and she noticed some condensation on the floorboard close to the door seal when she left for work this morning. She thought little of it thinking she hadn't completely closed the door last night. Today it rained most of the day and when she got off work her floorboard was saturated! The saturation seems to be concentrated right near the door seal but to a small extent, goes up under the hood release. The door seal seems intact and in good condition as well as the seals sround her sun roof. The drivers side rear floorboard is dry as a bone. She also said that she could feel some condensation around her sun visor which makes me think there is a good chance the leak is coming from a clogged hose coming from the sun roof down through the floor pan. The problem is, I've left her car completely unmolested to this point and don't know how to track the hose and what I need to remove to get to it to check it and unclog it if it is in fact clogged. Can someone help me?
Old 09-05-2013, 08:31 PM
Seasoned Member

When the sunroof drains get clogged or the seal goes bad, water overflows the drip tray and runs into the headliner. It can drip out of the overhead console if you have one or run down the a-pillar. Check the sunroof seal and make sure it is clean and not completely flat. Make sure the drains are clean by blowing them out with compressed air and running water down the holes in each from corner. Make sure the sunroof is properly adjusted. When closed it should not sit below the roof line. Should sit flush or just a touch over flush in the rear.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:37 PM

I thought about blowing compressed air through but was apprehensive about blowing the line apart if the clog is bad. You don't think that will happen?
Old 09-05-2013, 08:51 PM
Seasoned Member

It may pop off the sunroof tray but you can easily lower the headliner enough to get you hand in there and put it back on. Just go easy with the air. Try some water first and see if it is even plugged.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:53 PM
Seasoned Member

You can turn a sprinkler on and spray the roof. You shouldn't get more than a few drops past the glass. If it just flows in, there is a problem with the seal or the glass is misaligned.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:23 PM

Ok. I tried blowing air through it and I think it is corrected. I had to disconnect the hose from the tray because my air nozzle was not long enough so it popping off was not a factor. When I blew it out gently some water came out but no visible debris. That doesn't mean anything though. I reconnected it and got the wife to slowly poor a pitcher of water into the tray and the water seemed to travel through the line without interruption. It seemed the faster she pored, the more the water excellerated so it seemed to be pulling through we'll with some gravitational assistance. I should have poorer water through first to make sure but hindsight is 20/20. Based on the fact that the inside of the headliner is damp and drops of water came flying when I pulled the A-pillar cover, I do believe that the drain was clogged with some debris. We live in a heavily forested area so the likelihood of that is high. Tonight it will rain again so we will see what happened. I'm leaving all the interior panels I pulled off to let it dry. I'm going to run a fan on the floorboard all weekend to pull the air off the carpet just for good measure. I hate mold and her jeep is in really good shape and I want to keep it that way. I really appreciate the advice. I will post tomorrow when I find out if the problem persists or I got it corrected.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:42 PM
Seasoned Member

No problem. I am in WA. I have seen a few water leaks.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:23 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

Are you sure the leak comes from the sunroof?
I test drove a 2007 Commander Overland with water on the floorboard and beind the dash... the leak was coming from the top left corner of the windshield. Poor install job... I passed on that Jeep.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:05 AM

Yeah it ended up being the sunroof. After I blew out the hose and got everything put back together and dried out we have had some pretty substancial rain fall. I have not had a drop get into the cab since I fixed it up. I have confirmed the clogged hose was the culpret.