Other Vehicles. Other Jeep models & cars and trucks of other makes Talk any vehicle tech in here other than Cherokees.

Auction find 2003 trailblazer....

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 10:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L with throttle body spacer and cold air intake, bored throttle body, #784 injector upgrade
Default Auction find 2003 trailblazer....

So a little while ago I realized I needed something to run while I do a full rebuild on my xj's driveline. Found this and bought it for a good price. Like it so far but going to be digging into it sooner rather then later sadly.
here's the list I'm starting with...
Brakes
u joints
shocks and misc suspension components
computer codes...
electrical
Likely will be my "nice" truck for a while.

​​​​
Old 08-27-2017, 10:21 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0L with throttle body spacer and cold air intake, bored throttle body, #784 injector upgrade
Default Gratuitous xj pic

Here a recent of my xj at work...because reasons.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:02 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

I have a soft spot for the Trailblazers and the Envoys due to their inline six. These trucks can be very interesting builds with some boost :-)

Not to mention the SS option during their run. Best of luck with it, they're pretty decent from what I've gathered when you're looking for a good all around every day ride.
Old 10-01-2017, 12:12 PM
CF Veteran

Default more stories...

So since I bought the chevy it has always run cold on the gauge and had a check engine light associated with the engine temp. Decided to tackle the thermostat, cause I work on my own right? Huh... five hours of work later...got her done.
The thermo is located behind the alternator, half way down the driver side of the engine making it a not a fun job. However... seems like it's doing better now and drives nice still. Also did a quick throttle body clean as it was absolutely horrendous and required it. Sadly I didn't get any pictures of this as my hands were covered in some serious cleaner to get the crud off.
Attached Thumbnails Auction find 2003 trailblazer....-10-1-2017-phone-download-2037.jpg   Auction find 2003 trailblazer....-10-1-2017-phone-download-2038.jpg   Auction find 2003 trailblazer....-10-1-2017-phone-download-2039.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 10-01-2017, 12:17 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Joshua White
I have a soft spot for the Trailblazers and the Envoys due to their inline six. These trucks can be very interesting builds with some boost :-)

Not to mention the SS option during their run. Best of luck with it, they're pretty decent from what I've gathered when you're looking for a good all around every day ride.
I honestly gotta say that aside for some of the known issues with the auto 4wd and some electrical fun because of grounds... it's been a good truck. I worked on the engines a bit while in college and these straight sixes can make some serious power and enjoy the higher RPM's when care is taken.

All this is tempered by the stupid drive by wire throttle that you have to deal with though.
Old 10-01-2017, 12:38 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by 00jeepXJ
I honestly gotta say that aside for some of the known issues with the auto 4wd and some electrical fun because of grounds... it's been a good truck. I worked on the engines a bit while in college and these straight sixes can make some serious power and enjoy the higher RPM's when care is taken.

All this is tempered by the stupid drive by wire throttle that you have to deal with though.
I didn't know they were drive by wire, but I guess that makes sense considering the time they're manufactured.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:58 PM
CF Veteran

So I figured I should do an update for you all... niece is currently driving it everyday. Coldest day of the winter we have had so far the battery died. Other than that it's going good. I wish that it didn't have the stupid open front and rear differentials though. She got it hung up on a stores driveway. Hope to have more pictures and stories soon!
Old 03-31-2018, 11:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts
Engine: 4.0l

sadly my step mom had one from new and that thing was so comfy till her son crashed it so years later she bought another one very exact to what she had and it rode so horribly and always had engine issues where it would stall or idle poorly and very rough at idle where it shook the whole car despite being at 800 rpms it was just a terrible car and the suspension was horrible as well
Old 04-16-2018, 07:08 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by EEVEE
sadly my step mom had one from new and that thing was so comfy till her son crashed it so years later she bought another one very exact to what she had and it rode so horribly and always had engine issues where it would stall or idle poorly and very rough at idle where it shook the whole car despite being at 800 rpms it was just a terrible car and the suspension was horrible as well
sorry to hear that. These things are notorious for grounding issues. I spent the last little while cleaning and fixing the grounds in hopes of curing some of this... it kinda worked?

So I figured that updating would be appropriate as the jeep has decided that the clutch is a new musical instrument ( neighbors didn't find the sound of screaming metal on metal at 5:30 am to appealing) and I have been driving this truck more and more. Pic's of the nightmare of the power steering line replacement will be coming up shortly. I will say this...I have never been more tempted to dump a car onto a mechanic or off a cliff as I was doing these lines. Next in line for repairs on it so that I can keep driving it will be the upper and lower A arms on the front suspension. Pro tip... bushings are kinda needed.
Old 07-01-2018, 11:44 AM
CF Veteran

Hey all, been kinda busy with work and something called life...
So here is a little update on this wonderful truck.
I blew the power steering lines and ended up giving it to a mechanic. If you ever have to do the lines on these the best way to do it is actually pulling the trans / transfer case support that the rack and pinion sits in. Pulling out the inner front fender lining and then spending around 10 plus hours trying to assemble it... not fun.

Decided to look into why I had a strange clunking sound in the driver side door when opening or closing it. Didn't expect this. Hint, it's a maglite.
While I was at it the local police informed me that I didn't have any plate lights. The fault was a ground wire that broke in the rubber boot that goes from gate to body. Some time with shrink tube and butt connectors solved that issue.

Front bushings sucked as the upper control arm bolts were not happy to come apart. The bushing press I rented from the local parts store was a wonderful little aid. Which led me to discovering that my tires were showing cords and that i needed an alignment. Off to my local tire shop and a much emptier wallet it's quite nice. Looking into doing brakes soon and will take more pictures. I am thinking that i will be doing a/c work on it soon as this hot weather is not nice. All in all it's kinda growing on me. I know it won't be a replacement for my beloved XJ but it's a pretty nice toy.
Attached Thumbnails Auction find 2003 trailblazer....-imag0384.jpg   Auction find 2003 trailblazer....-imag0385.jpg   Auction find 2003 trailblazer....-imag0386.jpg   Auction find 2003 trailblazer....-imag0387.jpg   Auction find 2003 trailblazer....-imag0392.jpg  

Auction find 2003 trailblazer....-imag0393.jpg   Auction find 2003 trailblazer....-imag0394.jpg   Auction find 2003 trailblazer....-imag0396.jpg   Auction find 2003 trailblazer....-imag0398.jpg