Other Vehicles. Other Jeep models & cars and trucks of other makes Talk any vehicle tech in here other than Cherokees.

98 yukon - brake pedal sticking

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 11:43 AM
No, I don't lick fish.

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Angry 98 yukon - brake pedal sticking

Just as the title implies...

drive it down the road - hit the brake, brake pedal sticks down... have to either stomp on it to get it to come back up or pull it up with your toe... doesn't happen every time though...

seems to only do it in the morning when it is cool - not when the temp reaches the 80's for the day.

yeah... help
Old 03-26-2012, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

This can be dangerous, I read that this causes the car to abruptly stop, is that happening as well? Could be couple things from what I found it could be loose or damaged caliper mounting bracket, damaged brake hose that has a deteriorated lining and doesn't let the brake fluid return to the master cylinder. In the worse case scenario, there could also be a problem with the master cylinder, and the brake pedal assembly might needs to be replaced. Have you taken a look at what could be causing the problem. If you have time one morning I would have someone sit in the drivers seat hitting the brakes while you look at the structure of the components to see if you can locate where it is going wrong.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:46 AM
No, I don't lick fish.

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

No, it's not abruptly stopping, thank goodness.... I replaced a sticking caliper a few weeks back... used so much brake fluid in the bleeding process that it has mostly new fluid in the system.... the truck doesn't pull in any direction when it stops so I'm not inclined to think it is any one braking corner causing the problem...

not sure what to do or how to check the master cylinder... any experience doing that or know-how of checking it?