Other Vehicles. Other Jeep models & cars and trucks of other makes Talk any vehicle tech in here other than Cherokees.

90 toy celica possible spark issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 08:20 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Question 90 toy celica possible spark issue

So, I own a 90 toyota celica st, 1.6l fuel injected 5 speed manual. the issue is, noticeable power loss at low rpms. The idle bounces around once the choke is off, getting up to speed the car bounces as if you are releasing too much clutch but normally at 3k RPM the power picks back up. Also if you barely give it any gas the bouncing isnt apparent.

Ive replaced the plugs, the cap wires and rotor are new within the last year. New fuel filter, tried a different fuel pressure regulator. Ohm tested all the injectors (all tested good).

I believe the problem is in cylinder 3. when testing the injectors, I pulled each wire harness clip to each injector individually with the engine running. Injectors 1,2, and 4 when unplugged bogged the engine down more but injector 3 while unplugged didnt make any noticable difference to the idle. So thinking it was a clogged injector I replaced that injector but the problem is still persisting.

All this being said, im personally being led to think there is an issue with spark. I havent tested spark at each cylinder yet (its dark now) but will possibly tomorrow. Could it also possibly be a stuck valve in that cylinder? Trying to avoid as much tear down as possible.

So basically im looking for all your opinions on if theres any other possible culprits I should be checking or if at this point with all thats been done, have i basically narrowed it down to what I think it might be?

Looking forward to all of your opinions and thoughts and other directions/things I could be checking!