Other Vehicles. Other Jeep models & cars and trucks of other makes Talk any vehicle tech in here other than Cherokees.

'87 4Runner Weird Starting Issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 03:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default '87 4Runner Weird Starting Issues

Hey guys, working on my brothers '87 4Runner, 22RE, W56 trans, 4x4, you know your run of the mill 4Runner. This truck had been sitting for 10 years with a blown head gasket, and we picked it up in the hopes of rehabing the truck. So far we have done a motor, trans, transfer case, ECU / Temp Gauge sending unit, O2 Sensor, Idle Air Control Valve, radiator, water pump, alternator, battery, plugs and wires.......and I think that is about it. We had it running after we did the motor and trans for about 3 weeks or so and then it started running poorly at idle when it was at operating temperature, when it was cold it would run fine. We timed the motor and replaced the IAC and after doing that it was running OK for about another 3 weeks. Then out off the blue it starting intermittently having issues with starting. The problem is about 1 out of 3 starts it will need to be cranked over excessivly and the throttle needs to be pumped. I know the throttle pumping thing sounds weird because the car is fuel injected but that is what works when the car starts acting up. The car will cough and sputter and refuse to start, then it will eventually and barely start up, once it its running it seems to be OK with the exception of low bottom end power, not excesive, but noticable power loss on the bottom end. Does anybody have any ideas to get me pointed in the right direction of where to start, if so I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance for the input.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:45 AM

Year: 2000

Have you checked fuel pressure? I'm sure you've done these things, but sometimes we all forget the basics. Clean the injectors, (soak them in injector cleaner) clean the MAF Sensor.. Does it have a CPS? Im not sure about that year 4-Runner. Have you checked compression? Is it possible the head gasket isn't sealing correctly? Just check the basics..
Old 11-21-2010, 06:55 AM

x2 with 00XJ.

You might want to try a toyo bb like this one. I have some 4runner buddies who have a 4 runner forum just like our cherokee forum.

http://toyota-4runner.org/
http://www.4runnerforum.com/forum/
http://www.yotatech.com/

and yes, they spend as much time busting jeeps ***** as we do busting toyos

good luck with the 4 runner

Chuck
Old 11-21-2010, 09:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 88
Engine: 4.0 HO

I would go with fuel pressure on that also. It sat for 10 years the old fuel could have ate up the pump.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:59 AM

Year: 2001

Thanks for the replies guys. The thing is, all of the intake system, the TB, the MAF, the IAC have all been replaced or cleaned and checked. Fuel pressure is good. Not to mention we replaced the fuel pump (one of the things I forgot to list) Timing is good. The computer is a little slow in advancing but it shouldn't have that big of an affect as the OEM computers only advanced as far as 4 degrees, even though they were supposed to advancve to 12 (go figure). No need for a compression check, it is a new motor, unless you guys are saying that even a new motor could have issues? I don't know, if the damn thing was a Jeep I probably would have had it figured out by now. You know I did get to thinking earlier that pumping the throttle at start up when the car was acting up seemed to help matters. The funny thing is we are dealing with a fuel injected car here, there is no accelerator pump, so why would that have a difference. The only thing that is attached to the throttle as far a a sensor goes in regards to start-up, before the engine is started, is the TPS. So tonight I went out and checked the resistances of the TPS, and it appears that the resistance in Ohms in the idle circut of the TPS is either too low or there in no continuity dependent on how far the throttle is open. Throttle closed and wide open throttle circuts check out OK. So I am hoping that the TPS might be my problem. I am going to go and find a new one tommorw and install it and see what happens. I will let you know what I come up with.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Check out the Toyota forum on www.4x4wire.com , you may find the info you need.