Other Vehicles. Other Jeep models & cars and trucks of other makes Talk any vehicle tech in here other than Cherokees.

'84 f-150 w/5.0

Old 10-09-2017, 10:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 297 Likes on 252 Posts
Year: '96
Model: Cherokee
Default '84 f-150 w/5.0

Been working on one for a friend. Don't know the history of it only that it has sat for an extended period but has been driven for short distances about a month lately before I got it. Motor has a knock it below the valve train. There was oil in the air filter base but none on the new filter. Cleaned the base and reinstalled. There was no gasket on the oil filler cap so I fixed that. PCV is good. No oil on the plugs. New 10w30 oil and filter. The owner NEEDED it so I told them not to run it hard and bring it back when they can. They plan on replacing the vehicle as soon as possible. So I got it back after about a month. Still knocking. No oil in the air filter base or on the filter. No smoking out the oil breather cap. Down about 3/4qt. I happened to have a quart of Lucas oil additive around some gave me so topped it off. I'm not much on additives except for MMO. Drove around here for a few miles and parked it. Went out about 6hrs later and started it. No knocking at any rpms. Just started it before I started this thread and still no knocking. So after all this ranting my question is could the Lucas have "helped" the oil pump in some way? Oil gauge doesn't work. Owner will be picking it up tomorrow and using it as a DD. Never had a knock like this just stop.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I might have been a hydraulic lifter tapping i have seen a different brand oil treatment stuff fix that for about 6 months or so but it came back.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.0

Hey man, I'll rub shoulders with you on this even if it is a Ford. I really don't care what anyone thinks but I have always been a Ford guy. My tow service was FULL of burnt up GM and Chryslers every summer but very few Fords.

I often wonder why I do not see much about adapting a Ford 9" into these? what's the discriminatory hang up with this? the Pumpkin instead of a cover? Best time proven limited slip rearend ever made and to mention it is like speaking blasphemy. lol

Anyways... All motors after sitting for a long period can collapse a lifter. then when it is started the pushrod can momentarily jump out and bend. Did you happen to nail down which side it is and pull the cover? bet it has a bent pushrod.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:28 AM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee

could be lifter, could be rod.....doesnt sound like you did any testing to verify location of the knock, or was it a loud tap. You also didnt mention how many miles on the engine.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 297 Likes on 252 Posts
Year: '96

Have no idea on the mileage. Sticker under the hood shows the original motor was a 351. No tap. Definitely a single knock but not deep like the bottom end. My guess is it was a rod knock on the left side. Still quiet as a mouse now though. Truck's not worth putting much money into except to keep it safe on the road until they can get another vehicle. Actually it runs,handles,and brakes good. Body is shot. I've noticed the carb base,water pump,and valve cover gaskets have been replaced. I put a new master cylinder,throttle cable,and wipers on it the other day. Had to J B Weld a small crack in the windshield washer side of the coolant combo reservoir. It'll be fine until they can come up with something else. Then we'll give the old girl a proper burial.

As far as it being a Ford and IMHO all I can say is it would take the best of all three major truck manufacturers to make a GOOD one. The 9" ford is a or at least was a popular swap into the CJ's. Nice to be able to set it up on the kitchen table then install it. After dinner of course.